Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-03-2013

Lightbulb 511 Corner Weights

So as a matter of interest more than anything else - for an inquisitive mind - I happened upon a good deal for some 'micro' scales today so I grabbed them to weigh my vehicle.

The following pics are one of my first attempts. I've been able to find "stands" (Yeah Racing parts boxes) that are the required height when the scales are on my work mat. I'm not suggesting these are "scientific" accurate but after I levelled out the shocks this is what I got sans batteries.

High-res versions: http://db.tt/9E7qMiSc

That's pretty amazing balance for no tuning at all...

I used my eye, a straight edge and the grid-lines on my mat to set it all up so there's a fair margin of error. Either way the front right is obviously light (-ve motor) and needs to be compensated.

I'll try and set up some rig to get a true centre balance... not entirely sure how yet...

Any comments or ideas for the best balance or measurements would be appreciated, let's discuss...
Old 01-03-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Suspend the front from the centre and weigh the rear as you have done and then swap to suspend the rear and weight the front, its a bit more accurate.
Old 01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Suspend the front from the centre and weigh the rear as you have done and then swap to suspend the rear and weight the front, its a bit more accurate.
Would it work okay if I used a single length of cord through equal (l/r) holes on the respective shock towers and hung from a central point?

Edit: I have one of these:

So I reckon some cord with a good adjuster/knot would do?
Old 02-03-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Assuming the holes are equal distance form centre and equal height I guess it would.. Only way to measure exact corner weights is with 4 identical corners, but slight differenced in droop/shock length etc will distort figures, this method should remove some of the places where theres margin for error. Try turning your car upside down to see if the 4 points where the shock towers meet the surface are equal too.