Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 22-12-2014

Default Servo has a mind of its own??

I was running my car the other day, during my final the servo (which is a savox 1258) started to turn by itself, making very quick movements left and right. It naturally made the car very hard to drive lol, but does anyone know what the problem is and/or how I could make sure it doesn't happen again? It was the first time it's ever happened and it started about 1 and a 1/2 minutes into the final. I run a spektrum dx3c with an sr301 receiver.
Old 22-12-2014

Hi,
Now the usual 'fix' for savox servo issues is to fit a power cap on the receiver, espcially with spektrum. But the symptoms you describe are not the usual 'receiver brown out' syptoms I have seen before. The first thing to try is a power cap anyway, they are cheap and an easy fix if it solves the problem. I have had many savox servos and find them very good providing you understand the power hungry nature of them. I have had one failure of about 8 savox servos I currently own. That would work fine for a bit then suddenly shoot to full travel and lock. only a power cycle would restore function. A power cap in that case did not solve the problem. I suspect it was an internal potentionmeter fault, but after cleaning it it still did not fix it so it got put aside for spare gears and case.

So sum up my ramblings, try a power cap, if that does not fix it.. probably need a new servo.

Fingers crossed for power cap

note* term 'usual receiver brown out' refers to real faults I have witnessed, tested with an osilloscope, diagnosed and fixed. There are almost certainly other modes of failure I have not come across that can be resolved in the same way I have yet to test.

Matt