Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Tamiya 511 Upgrade Kit - Fitted pics

Thought a few of you would like to see what`s included, and what it looks like fitted.

See My Feedback

Old 01-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Very nice indeed Rich. Can't wait to get mine!
Old 01-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers DC. You must have half a dozen ordered .

Diffs are a lot better. Watch out for the lipo mounts. They look the same but are slightly different. You will need a new hole for the aerial too. Quite a big job to fit !

See My Feedback

Old 01-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Very nice Rich
Old 01-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Cheers DC. You must have half a dozen ordered .

Diffs are a lot better. Watch out for the lipo mounts. They look the same but are slightly different. You will need a new hole for the aerial too. Quite a big job to fit !

Haha, only 3, even though I have many 511's .

Cheers for the advice.
Old 03-01-2013

So what do you get in the box and how much does it cost ?
Old 03-01-2013

Mine arrived last night and it comes with a new slim chassis, new motor mount (more centrally located), new diff halves with keyed diff plates and 39t pulleys also longer drive belts and (presumably) the 502X battery mounting plastic parts.

Think that's it apart from a few odd screws and spacers.

Of course i'm assuming that by putting all this on the car I will become a world champion and all for a shade over £100. Bargain!
Old 03-01-2013

Two threads same topic... in the original thread I observe that they want us to "cut" an aluminium part (step #17, BD20) - how does this work?
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz View Post
Two threads same topic... in the original thread I observe that they want us to "cut" an aluminium part (step #17, BD20) - how does this work?

Looking at the manual posted on the Stella Models website, I'd say its not so much a "cut" that's required, but to file down some of the part (BD20) so it does not rub against the newer, larger 39T pulley. Get out your dremel or file and take a little off at a time, check & re-check your fit and clearances.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
Looking at the manual posted on the Stella Models website, I'd say its not so much a "cut" that's required, but to file down some of the part (BD20) so it does not rub against the newer, larger 39T pulley. Get out your dremel or file and take a little off at a time, check & re-check your fit and clearances.
I'm sure that's what they mean yes, even if they say "cut" but really? That's pretty poor form by Mr. Tamiya I feel - they should have just upped the cost by 5 bucks and included the correct parts... :-/
Old 03-01-2013

How much is it ?
Old 03-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I ve been looking at this kit aswell the cheapest ive seen it for including shipping is 109 pound.

Whats putting me off at the min is are the belts available if you was unlucky to do one,are the diff rings available,and also what is the main advantage of the upgrade kit whats it change to the handling of the 511.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz View Post
I'm sure that's what they mean yes, even if they say "cut" but really? That's pretty poor form by Mr. Tamiya I feel - they should have just upped the cost by 5 bucks and included the correct parts... :-/

Front hinge pin brace needs a fraction from it, its minimal. Manual also states that the steering base needs filing. Mine clears, its close but it doesnt need adjustment. Will recheck once the belts are run in and re tensioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
I ve been looking at this kit aswell the cheapest ive seen it for including shipping is 109 pound.

Whats putting me off at the min is are the belts available if you was unlucky to do one,are the diff rings available,and also what is the main advantage of the upgrade kit whats it change to the handling of the 511.

Thanks.
Part numbers for replacement items are all listed. The belts are pretty much bomb proof. Ive never stripped one of the original items in 3 seasons use. Diff rings are from the TRF417 so these are readily available.

The kit has been developed with team driver feedback to optimise the car for lipo use. Remember the car was designed with NiMh cells in mind. The chassis is narrower and it generally places the weight nearer to the centre. Diff design is improved to prevent dirt ingress aswell as the change in pulley size. Rear (front) suspension pivots are also included. The Diff outdrives include flat surfaces to prevent diff slip that sometimes occurs on high grip surfaces.

From an advert .......

- Brand : Tamiya
- Part No : 84315
- Item Type : RC TRF511 Chassis Upgrade Set

- This parts set is designed for the TRF511 Chassis and includes a wide range of race-spec Option Parts to further improve its performance potential.
- The new carbon lower deck and aluminum rear suspension mounts enable the chassis to be compatible with square-shaped battery packs.
- The new aluminum motor mount shifts the motor position towards the center of the chassis.
- In addition, the use of 39T pulleys results in an optimum secondary gear reduction ratio.

Set Contents
- 2.25mm Carbon Fiber Lower Deck (new)
- Aluminum Rear Suspension Mounts (new)
- Aluminum Slide Motor Mount (new)
- Aluminum Center Bulkhead Bridge (new)
- Diff Joints (Front & Rear) (new)
- Drive Belts (Front & Rear) (new)
- TRF502X J parts (battery holder)
- 39T Ball Diff Pulley (Front and Rear)
- TRF417 Diff Plates (Front and Rear)
- Compatible with TRF 511 chassis ONLY

See My Feedback

Old 03-01-2013

I,ve looked at the instructions on the Stella site and the parts are listed in Japanese, is there any english available?
Old 03-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I,ve looked at the instructions on the Stella site and the parts are listed in Japanese, is there any english available?
Replacement part numbers are listed in the upgrade manual. Most of them likely to be special order i would imagine. That doesnt mean that they arent available though. Just takes a little longer to get them.

See My Feedback

Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicVEGAchildJR View Post
How much is it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post

Thanks.
I paid €110 on pre-order + €15 Euro shipping from HK.

I've never stripped a belt on my 511 and I got it on pre-order back when it was released. As for the rest I think Rich sums it up well...

Quote:
Front hinge pin brace needs a fraction from it, its minimal. Manual also states that the steering base needs filing. Mine clears, its close but it doesnt need adjustment. Will recheck once the belts are run in and re tensioned.
Thanks Rich good to know about the front brace (lol - mine is mangled from the local 1/8 track anyway!), looks like you're using the alu steering base (as am I) - the upgrade manual refers to the stock plastic one which is a totally different shape so I'm hoping the Hop-Up doesn't need to be filed.

Quote:
Part numbers for replacement items are all listed. The belts are pretty much bomb proof. Ive never stripped one of the original items in 3 seasons use. Diff rings are from the TRF417 so these are readily available.

The kit has been developed with team driver feedback to optimise the car for lipo use. Remember the car was designed with NiMh cells in mind. The chassis is narrower and it generally places the weight nearer to the centre. Diff design is improved to prevent dirt ingress aswell as the change in pulley size. Rear (front) suspension pivots are also included. The Diff outdrives include flat surfaces to prevent diff slip that sometimes occurs on high grip surfaces.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Here you go...

Old 03-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks Rich for info.
Old 03-01-2013

Thanks for the parts list
Old 03-01-2013

...too bad none of those part numbers are recognized on Tamiya's website, Google doesn't even know what they are!
Old 03-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
...too bad none of those part numbers are recognized on Tamiya's website, Google doesn't even know what they are!
..... Hence the term special order

Never had any problem getting parts for the 511 myself. Some you just need to order that's all.

See My Feedback