Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 04-01-2013

Default belts and so

Hello, my name is Miroslav, I'm from Czech Republic and until now I was just the reader.

I wondered how the special order works? Is there just the way through local Tamiya supplier or can I contact Tamiya myself?

Belts and pulleys are one of the parts that breaks most in my experience. I think they should really make it widely available. I managed to strip three rear belts and three rear pulleys at my 501, because of no diff covers and stone got under the rear pulley. Month ago I bought brand new 511, bought second handed unbuilt and I would really like to upgrade it with the new chassis, but I'm simply worried that I might experience some belts/pulleys problems as well. I can imagine, that then I would wait 3 months before Tamiya will ship parts to Europe. I already have the Fredriks diff covers for my 511, but worried still - I never broke anything else then belts and pulleys on my TRF buggies.
Old 04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira9_cz View Post
Hello, my name is Miroslav, I'm from Czech Republic and until now I was just the reader.

I wondered how the special order works? Is there just the way through local Tamiya supplier or can I contact Tamiya myself?

Belts and pulleys are one of the parts that breaks most in my experience. I think they should really make it widely available. I managed to strip three rear belts and three rear pulleys at my 501, because of no diff covers and stone got under the rear pulley. Month ago I bought brand new 511, bought second handed unbuilt and I would really like to upgrade it with the new chassis, but I'm simply worried that I might experience some belts/pulleys problems as well. I can imagine, that then I would wait 3 months before Tamiya will ship parts to Europe. I already have the Fredriks diff covers for my 511, but worried still - I never broke anything else then belts and pulleys on my TRF buggies.
Hi Miroslav and welcome.

If you're not able to source them locally in the Czech Republic you can see if the team in Germany are expecting to distribute them (http://www.tamiya.de/de/service/kontakt.htm) - I suspect they will as they did for the 501 and 511.

Otherwise there's always eBay or an online store from Hong Kong or Japan.
Old 04-01-2013

Default re

Thank you very much for the link. There is Tamiya distributor at Czech Republic as well, but I hate to use their services. There is not very much TRF cars at Czech Rep. (I know about 4 buggies only) so they do not have anything on stock for them. Therefore they must order it from USA/Japan the same way as I would done it. Except there is one more shipping price included (from distributor to me), one more profit (I understand that they can not sell it to me without any), one more time delay (they order only once in a week, from Japan probably once a month), I think you got the point.

You are right there is always ebay, amainhobbies and other sites, but try to google 13700123 pulleys or 16248001 belt. Ebay do not know it yet, and what is even worse, Google will find nothing as well!!

I wondered if you guys can guess if these new spare parts will be available later, or if it will be just this special order thing forever. I'm in this only for 3 years, but perhaps you experienced similar situation with TRF products already, for example with common spare parts when new model comes out.

If the common experience is that sooner or later special order parts will be available at hobby shops and ebay, then I will risk the purchase and pray. But if special order parts mostly keeps forever being only special order items, then I'm afraid I will have to give up this beautiful upgrade
Old 04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira9_cz View Post
If the common experience is that sooner or later special order parts will be available at hobby shops and ebay, then I will risk the purchase and pray. But if special order parts mostly keeps forever being only special order items, then I'm afraid I will have to give up this beautiful upgrade
Yes, this is typically the case. It will take some time for the part numbers to become available individually (from Tamiya) or from people who break up Upgrade Kits. I can assure you Tamiya will make lots of spares, this is one of their main competition chassis' worldwide.

Unfortunately this doesn't mean they'll be easy to get, some 511 parts are difficult to get now... It was impossible to find a 511 carbon lower chassis plate a few weeks ago, I bet there will be a lot (of standard ones) available soon!

My money is on a 511 v2 very shortly with the upgrade kit included, if that's the case then parts will be available for a few years to come.

But I'd never recommend buying something on my advice...
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Thought a few of you would like to see what`s included, and what it looks like fitted.

Will this kit fit a 501x worlds car? Im thinking about trying it.
Old 08-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval/offroadracer43 View Post
Will this kit fit a 501x worlds car? Im thinking about trying it.
No i dont think so, it states on the box that its for the 511 only.

See My Feedback

Old 08-01-2013

......ooops double post, see below
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
No i dont think so, it states on the box that its for the 511 only.
No, Rich is right, the 501x and 501x W.E alloy diff housings have different mounting holes and positions on the chassis, so it wont work
Old 08-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
No, Rich is right, the 501x and 501x W.E alloy diff housings have different mounting holes and positions on the chassis, so it wont work

I thought you`d know Steve

Have you got yours yet ?

See My Feedback

Old 09-01-2013

Not the best pic but here's a side-by-side with the stock 511 chassis.

The standard one is the one with the battery slots of course.

Subtle but significant changes.

511 is too flexible without a lower plate...

Old 11-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to Balders Send a message via Skype™ to Balders

Put the kit on the 511 last night.

Love it!

Does anyone know what the new internal ration of the car is now due to the pulley sizes?

Mike Baldwin - Caldicot
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post

Love it!

Does anyone know what the new internal ration of the car is now due to the pulley sizes?

It's in the manual.
Old 11-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balders View Post

Love it!

2.17 on the new kit. 2.06 on the old one.

See My Feedback

Old 11-01-2013

Have you got yours yet ?[/QUOTE]

not yet buddy, I ran that lipo position before mr tamiya thought of it

not sure if to do it or not as I do like to use a one way a lot.........decisions, decisions....
Old 13-01-2013

Finally finished - it took longer than I anticipated because of other projects but I'm happy with the result.

I found that I could simply add 4x1mm spacers for the front aluminium brace and file down the plastic bumper rather than trimming the aluminium bit itself.

I'd mention again that I think Mr. Tamiya should have included adapted parts for us to use rather than making us trim existing ones.

I'm not sure of the benefits of the thinner chassis, it seems to serve no purpose as it in itself doesn't really affect the centre of mass but does expose a little more.

But I am convinced the belt swap allowing the motor to be moved inboard will be a big improvement, especially for those with short motor shafts as I have - now the mesh is much more confidence inspiring.

But the front belt will surely rub on the servo stay now... shame:

For the extra teeth and the belt swap alone I think this was worth it but I can't imagine huge improvements in lap times. On the other hand I enjoyed the excuse to do a ground up rebuild of my 511, it's not something I need to do often and it was a nice reminder of the privilege we have to own such a nice bit of kit.
Old 19-01-2013
Mad Member

Well, I've put my upgrade kit together now. Quite surprisingly I did not have to shave any of my plastic or aluminium parts for clearance on the belts and pulleys.

I like the chassis but am a bit disappointed with a few things.

First, to me it looks like the top bridge was an unnecessary new part, and the kit could have been a tad cheaper.

Second, I'm not liking the fit of the lipo trays at all. My Lipos have a LOT of side play. The max width for lipos is 47mm and I measured 48mm. While it may not seem a big difference, it lets the lipo move quite a bit.

Besides, I'm getting quite a bit annoyed at the impossibility to have the plugs facing towards the front of the car, meaning quite long wires from ESC to the packs.

Soooo I've come up with a new design for the top deck that will allow the plugs to be placed forwards, along with new lipo trays.

I'm currently waiting on the parts to be produced, I will post pictures once I'm 100% sure all fits well.

First run will be on sunday, hopefully with the new lipo mounting way
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
First, to me it looks like the top bridge was an unnecessary new part, and the kit could have been a tad cheaper.
It's reversed so I don't think so...

Quote:
Second, I'm not liking the fit of the lipo trays at all. My Lipos have a LOT of side play. The max width for lipos is 47mm and I measured 48mm. While it may not seem a big difference, it lets the lipo move quite a bit.
Agreed, Fredrick's trays were much more secure, mine also have +1mm play. They are for LiFe batteries, I wonder if they're bigger?

Quote:
Besides, I'm getting quite a bit annoyed at the impossibility to have the plugs facing towards the front of the car, meaning quite long wires from ESC to the packs.
Been used to it since the 501x came out and all my wires sets are the required length now!

Quote:
Soooo I've come up with a new design for the top deck that will allow the plugs to be placed forwards, along with new lipo trays.

I'm currently waiting on the parts to be produced, I will post pictures once I'm 100% sure all fits well.

First run will be on sunday, hopefully with the new lipo mounting way
Looking forward to it....
Old 19-02-2013

A bit of an FYI:

I was vexed by how close the front belt ran to the included servo stay so I had a look through my parts box and can confirm:

Tamiya 53875 TA05 Lightweight Aluminium Servo Stay

Does the trick perfectly. You have to accept half-height stays but I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue.

The key here is that this pack has asymmetrical stays with a bevelled top surface so it falls comfortably under the belt. It's still close but the gap is increased about 200%.

Edit: also available in black

Tamiya 84010 TA05 Lightweight Aluminium Servo Stay Black