Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 03-10-2009

Default TRF Dyna Storm

I got bored of waiting for Tamiya to release a decent TRF 2wd buggy, so i thought i'd crack on with a project that was started in 2002...

Seven years ago I met a chap from Kidderminster called Malcom McDougal who was also a Tamiya enthusiast, and in particular a Dyna Storm enthusiast. We both felt there was more to come from the Dyna chassis. For the last seven years - on and off when we've had the inclination - we've tried numerous connotations of various parts for the Dyna Storm, resulting in the latest version - i reckon its Mk4c but i could be wrong

Initially i re-tooled the standard plastic parts so we wouldnt run out of spares, played around with the standard Dyna chassis and the TRF211x chassis, tried different shocks etc etc but we never really improved its performance substantially, but we did make it far more reliable.

Then a few years ago the TRF501x came into being.... and recently Lipos and Brushless came de regueur.... weight and power suddenly wasnt a problem anymore... Then i started making some new buggy parts for another Oopler, I decided to resurrect the Dyna Storm moulds, make some new ones and...

.....now a new TRF 2wd has been born

So the new specs are -

Re-tooled longer front suspension arms.
Re-tooled Shorter rear suspension arms with extra outer shock hole.
Re-tooled stronger castor blocks in 25, 27.5 and 30 degrees.
PTFE axle bearings rather than the kit bronze items.
New Carbon front shock tower with different shock and camber mounting points
New Carbon rear shock tower with different shock mounting points.
New Carbon top-deck & battery clamp.
Modified battery box.
Milled motor plate
Re-tooled & lightened gearbox gears.
Machined layshaft to accept TRF501x slipper clutch.
TRF501x slipper clutch set.
TRF501x shocks all round.
TRF501x CVD's
TRF501x rear hubs.
TRF501x wings mounts.
TRF414 servo mounts
TRF heavy duty servo saver and ally arm.
Kyosho Lazer ZXR servo plate.
Tamiya Hardened balljoints
Tamiya balljoint cups.
Lunsford titanium turnbuckles
Part high-grade Stainless screw kit.

Anyway, on with the pictures....

There a few more parts being fiddled with - ill be getting a new layshaft and top gear made instead of having to machine existing ones, ive got a blank rear bulkhead tooled up & blank shock towers to be able to play around with suspension mounting points trackside, new inner rear suspension arm mounts, and new front bulkhead with intregal weights, and just about every single plastic part has also been re-tooled for spares sake.

Its now light and day different from the original Dyna Storm, much better in every respect, but still lots of ' playing around ' with it to get it more competitive with the B4.

Why you ask ? Why not ? We are never going to be World Champs, we are both too old So why not keep having some fun experimenting with a different car ? And frankly they make a refreshing change from B4's and X6's that seem to make up 80% of 2wds these days

Oh, ive also got a mid-motored 'Storm very close to being finished... you'll love that one

I hope you all like it, its been seven years in the making
Old 03-10-2009
Administrator

That looks awesome! You've put a lot of time and cash into that badboy. Is the dyna still available as re-release?
Old 03-10-2009

Cheers Jimmy

Time and effort more than cash, materials i try add on to a clients job God knows how many hours experimenting and re-tooling though

Nope, you cannot get the re-release Dyna anymore unfortunately, second-hand if your lucky.... people are asking stupid money for them these days Luckily i have quite a few...

And I very much doubt you will ever see any other than myselfs and Malcs versions on the track - we did it for ourselves rather than for sale. I just thought id would be nice to show others
Old 03-10-2009
Administrator

It's awesome I have to say. Is someone else doing some Dyna stuff? or was that another car? I remember seeing some website selling some new parts for a 2WD tamiya a while back, seemed like they were trying to make it competitive etc.. Any ideas?
It looks awesome though
Old 03-10-2009

One of the earlier versions we did from about 2003 ish ive got kicking around in the workshop.... Based on a TRF211x chassis from Fibre-Lyte... I reckon i was the first person to do the undertray way back then... plus the new stronger original length sus arms and castor blocks & bushes...

Sorry, its a bit dusty

Old 03-10-2009

Yes, a chap on Tamiyaclub started doing new parts last year. He has done some very nice Dyna stuff inc carbon wheels and a very sculptural chassis, but some parts really need geometry changes to work propery, and a lot of what they have done were tried years ago - sometimes you just dont have to re-invent the wheel... Some of the parts could be works of art they are that nice to look at though Good luck to him, anyone who undertakes projects like that deserves some success as its bloody hard work and very time consuming.

But my parts are for RACING, not just to look at....
Old 03-10-2009

Talking The other runner

Here is a link to my dyna storm runner with Dyna made parts to give you a bit more history.
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...d=3203&sid=402
Old 03-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

uh oh, I feel a wallet tremble coming on.... you should really think about selling that bad boy.....
Old 03-10-2009
Mad Member

Car looks great Dyna, hope to see it trackside at Caldicot some time soon!

Dave A.
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
It's awesome I have to say. Is someone else doing some Dyna stuff? or was that another car? I remember seeing some website selling some new parts for a 2WD tamiya a while back, seemed like they were trying to make it competitive etc.. Any ideas?
It looks awesome though
Parts can be bought from:

http://www.nimrod-racing.net/products.php?cat_id=41

Here's the thread from Tamiyaclub forum:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=42222

Old 03-10-2009

At least someone has stepped up to the plate and transformed
a car that looks just as good as it performs on the track.
I'm still waiting for a TRF 2wd buggy. Maybe that is next on thier list
because they got a 1/8 truggy and 1/8 buggy out already. 801x & 801xT
This may be the wakeup call Tamiya needed.
Old 04-10-2009
Mad Member

That is ace!

I still race my Dyna occasionally. I was also wondering about adding 501x rear hubs etc.
Old 05-10-2009

Wow amazing looking car! I've got a dynastorm in a drawer somewhere that I always think of resurrecting. Maybe one day I'll get around to it, this is great inspiration
Old 05-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That looks the business Matt, cant wait to have a go (hint hint nudge nudge)
Old 05-10-2009

Cheers Guys, glad you like it

If anyone is thinking of doing the 501x rear end, you cannot use the 501x CVD's & hubs with the standard length suspension arms, as on optimum droop they fall out of the outdrives... Thats the main reason why i made shortened rear arms slightly, but you can get the same track width again with some minor shimming and use of the modified Tamiya pin/hex adaptors.

Im not really interested in selling them or offering it as a kit tbh, but if anyone needs some individual spares i could knock out a few parts if anyone really wants to repair & race theirs and cannot get hold of any spares. If its plastic, standard or modified, i've got all the moulds kicking around. If you want to know what and what dosent work on the Dyna Storm, PM me here and ill go through the options with you.

I also found the standard MDC clutch handles the power fine, its just harder to set than the 501x clutch and harder to keep consistent... Basically you have to de-glaze the old fibre disks after a few runs. Easy enough to do, some 1200 Wet & Dry on a flat surface with water - a couple of circles of each side of the disk's and its fine again. The 501x clutch just takes all that hassle away and is lighter to boot.

We're hoping to have the two new rear motor prototypes running in some of the MAM series races over the winter, as Malc especially is chomping at the bit to race this new version The mid-motor version is a little way off yet though...

And as its running your old Vampire 5200's and 7.5 Motor Dave i suppose its only fair to let you have a go... if only to show up that rubbish old Losi of yours
Old 10-02-2015
Mad Member

Fantastic!!! Is it possible to buy the machined layshaft?

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 11-02-2015

Are the arms avaluable???