Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

Default 89 Transit 2.5 Diesel (motorhome)

Right so we have an 89 G reg Transit 2.5 non turbo diesel - I think it's referred to as a banana engine.

Ok it's slow as shit, I can cope with that. Steering is very vague though. I checked and it's got two UJ's down to a powersteering rack. It's got coil springs on the front instead of leaf springs which I think some from that age had.

The slop in the steering means its easy to get a real weave on as you try to keep it in a straight line.

I don't know where the breather or whatever is - but the tank has to be filled up VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY slowly or it comes pissing out like a maniac. It'll click off at the slightest pull of the trigger also. It's hard to fill. Any idea what could be causing this back pressure and where the breather hole is or if there's some other common solution?
Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

Oh - anyone got an electric impact driver I could maybe borrow at kidderminster nat and bring to the next one?

I have a 1991 eunos (mx5) with some screwed up bolts. need some impact love
Old 05-04-2013
Mad Member

Default steering

the trannys steering is pretty vague at best anyway. a new rack might cure it. and check ya tyre pressures as that can cause probs to.

breather/fuel. may be a kink in the filler pipe. depends what madel you should be able to see it underneath and follow it if its got twisted then un twist it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Right so we have an 89 G reg Transit 2.5 non turbo diesel - I think it's referred to as a banana engine.

Ok it's slow as shit, I can cope with that. Steering is very vague though. I checked and it's got two UJ's down to a powersteering rack. It's got coil springs on the front instead of leaf springs which I think some from that age had.

The slop in the steering means its easy to get a real weave on as you try to keep it in a straight line.

I don't know where the breather or whatever is - but the tank has to be filled up VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY slowly or it comes pissing out like a maniac. It'll click off at the slightest pull of the trigger also. It's hard to fill. Any idea what could be causing this back pressure and where the breather hole is or if there's some other common solution?
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

I had a quick look at it looked fine but I will take a closer look.

On a motorhome this steering is quite dangerous and you can't do anything but maximum best concentration to keep it between the lanes. Not very relaxing. I increased the rear air assisted suspension from 35psi to 70 and that feels bettter. it's just the steering now. I've not checked the pressures yet on those.
I know on the older type steering box you could tighten stuff up but this power steering rack I've no idea
Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

it was suggested to me to put red 2 stroke in - about 1/100 ratio or something - is this bullshit?
Old 05-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
it was suggested to me to put red 2 stroke in - about 1/100 ratio or something - is this bullshit?
definitely BS, far too many internet urban myths and pub talk mechanical experts out there regarding engine performance etc... just stick derv in it, change fuel filter regularly/drain water from housing, keep oil looked after and you'll have no issues... aside from the Max and Paddy jokes

Check the obvious on front end, track rod ends, ball joints, bushes etc... could be rear cart springs are saggy/bushes gone so it's getting light on front end, plenty of body for the air to push back on!

could be something daft like tyre pressures or tyre sizes not matching so check the obvious!

does it brake in a straight line and well? (ish, safely?!)

Fuelling issues does sound like blocked tank breathers or simply blockage in filler hose, haven't had the issue with a transit but just take any breather pipes off and check they are clear, most will have one that vents back into filler hose.... a crusty old tank or perished hoses etc could mean they are blocked

personally i'd drain and strip tank off to inspect it all but that won't be easy on a driveway on an old girl.

Looks like a proper beast for a race reporting bus... needs a nice oOple vinyl wrap or r/c sticker bombing to hide it's beige-ness
Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

I'm thinking along the lines of pastidip spray in white - then decal it up.
Old 05-04-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Redx is not actually a myth, it helps far more in the common rail systems.

Doubt its the rack its self, engine off how much free play is there in the steering wheel? As in engine off and rock the wheel
You have email too Jimmy
Old 05-04-2013

worked on and driven many old transits as well as motor homes and the old transit motor homes were always a bit light and vauge on steering due to the weight of the body on back, could be worn lower ball joints or a tight uj in steering column and as for diesel filler found many times that people had lost keys to filler and brocken them off and part of the old cap falls down inside and part blocks the filler pipe
Carisma gtb x2
Schumacher gt12 x2
Old 05-04-2013
Administrator

Strangely enough it is a different key for the fuel cap.

I will have a poke about with the rods etc. It's got bloody loads of play - too much to be safe I would say. It's a real mental task to keep it from veering into oncoming traffic
Old 06-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Redx is not actually a myth, it helps far more in the common rail systems.
Any 'cheap' additive product like Redex kills fuel pump seals, injectors and causes engine damage, doesn't do relative sensors or catalytic convertor any good either!

so shouldn't be used unless you like spending big bucks on replacing parts further into vehicle ownership
Old 06-04-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Any 'cheap' additive product like Redex kills fuel pump seals, injectors and causes engine damage, doesn't do relative sensors or catalytic convertor any good either!

so shouldn't be used unless you like spending big bucks on replacing parts further into vehicle ownership
Really lol. Shame you carnt get tsb,s then.
Old 07-04-2013
BANNED

I was once told that when filling up from empty to stick a few litres of petrol in before tanking with diesel.
Theory is that the engine will be better at higher Rpm's as the petrol speeds up the combustion a bit and acts as a cleaner?
I did it on old type mechnical pump engines, I think it helped, but I've never done it on a modern PD engine for fear of disturbing the magic that goes on in them.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 07-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I was once told that when filling up from empty to stick a few litres of petrol in before tanking with diesel.
Theory is that the engine will be better at higher Rpm's as the petrol speeds up the combustion a bit and acts as a cleaner?
I did it on old type mechnical pump engines, I think it helped, but I've never done it on a modern PD engine for fear of disturbing the magic that goes on in them.

Four years ago I put 4.2 lt petrol in my diesel cmax by mistake. then brimmed it with diesel. A few replies on oople said it would be ok so i went off down the coast and back about 85miles cruise control at 60 and got the best mpg ever at 58mpg. Had no bad effects but as with jimmy's transit For last few years I cant fill it to within 2 gallons of max before pump clicks off. Thats annoying when you want to do a big trip without stopping to refuel.
Old 07-04-2013

Id check all the arm bushes and track rod ends
Old 07-04-2013

Hi Jimmy,

Engine performance, run through the tappets if they are to rattlely then the engine cant breath. If the valves arent opening enough then it wont fuel or exhaust properly hence lacks power/ wont rev under load.

Steering if you cant see anything obvious yourself then take it to your local MOT tester explain your problem bung him a fiver and ask him to have a look. nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Fuel filling slow yes internal part of cap down filler neck is a good poss but all you can do is check all the pipes are clear. but the breather will have a one way valve on it as from a certain date ( tech details escape me as im getting old and cant remember it....LOL ) they had to have this fitted incase vehicle roll over to stop leaking fuel incase of fire!

HTH's
Shiny.
Old 07-04-2013

sorry double post

Last edited by shinytopman; 07-04-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: double post
Old 15-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I have had this for a few years on my cmax diesel so last night after watching a few youtube video's I decided that the vent tube was blocked so as I could'nt push anything up it far enough up it to dislodge any crap I got some kitchen roll and a plastic bag and used it to make an airtight seal around an old bike pump. I took the fuel cap off pushed my pump and plastic bag around the fuel filler hole and pumped for a few minutes.
RESULT finally today for the first time in 2 years I filled my tank to the top.
Cost me more though