Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 05-11-2009

Default Hi Vis Vests

A good idea, we have some down at the track.
A quick look around the track and I'll see straight away who is marshalling and who should be penalised for not doing so.
To make it even more strict we could have you stay at your marshalling point until you're relieved. It's bad enough when you wander off before the race has finished. (I blame the PA for that. It not being clear due to the echo of the room)
Old 05-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The race controller View Post
A good idea, we have some down at the track.
A quick look around the track and I'll see straight away who is marshalling and who should be penalised for not doing so.
To make it even more strict we could have you stay at your marshalling point until you're relieved. It's bad enough when you wander off before the race has finished. (I blame the PA for that. It not being clear due to the echo of the room)

This sounds like a plan... Hi Viz Vests then we know who the marshalls are.. Name and Shame and penalise lol!! I suggest also marshalls should stay at points until relieved..

As for heat sheets and and race print outs move them well away from the rostrum.. maybe even to near the doors into the hall..??

Then have transponders near to the rostrum at the side of the track next to the wall with say a couple of tables or even use the big trolley we use for carting the rostrum away etc that way this can also double up for somewhere for people who have just raced to put there car and transmitter on...

Then the barriers we use around the sand pit, use some of these to create a barrier set back from the track so the track doesnt get obscured at any time from the rostrum. So it creates a walkway between pits and rostrum and race control.

Cheers

Nick
Old 05-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its only for fun, no need to marshall at point until relieved. What about the number 10's that may not have a 10 in the following heat? I say some people need to open their eyes, as long as cars are circulating from the heat - then they stay at the point, if they can't do it, tell them, but don't penalise the majority by making them wait to be relieved.
Old 05-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The biggest problem I saw was that the 2 mins turn around was not really enough to collect your car, return transponder, put car somewhere safe and reach your marshal point. I was noticably later reaching my point after running truck (no pt and marshal point at far end of track) than after 4wd (pt and marshalling next to my pit table!)
It would make the most sense if there was a table for drivers finishing their heats to leave their car on, next to the transponder rack for returning that, and right by the rostrum. That way all that is needed is switch off, transponder out and off to marshal.
The fact is even when slow I was normally one of the quickest out to marshal. Many races started without marshals, not because they weren't coming, they just hadn't arrived yet. But if its wait till relieved we'd be swapping marshals mid-race which is just as bad.
Basically we need to slicken up the marshal changeover - most of that has obviously to come from the racers, but Bury as a club can help by adjusting the layout to make this easier.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 05-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The biggest problem I saw was that the 2 mins turn around was not really enough to collect your car, return transponder, put car somewhere safe and reach your marshal point. I was noticably later reaching my point after running truck (no pt and marshal point at far end of track) than after 4wd (pt and marshalling next to my pit table!)
It would make the most sense if there was a table for drivers finishing their heats to leave their car on, next to the transponder rack for returning that, and right by the rostrum. That way all that is needed is switch off, transponder out and off to marshal.
The fact is even when slow I was normally one of the quickest out to marshal. Many races started without marshals, not because they weren't coming, they just hadn't arrived yet. But if its wait till relieved we'd be swapping marshals mid-race which is just as bad.
Basically we need to slicken up the marshal changeover - most of that has obviously to come from the racers, but Bury as a club can help by adjusting the layout to make this easier.

just a suggestion but what if we marshal the 2nd heat after your own heat or is that daft ? it would give time to return to your own table and turn off and disconnect your battery. it make make the change over a bit less rushed i think?????

buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 05-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
just a suggestion but what if we marshal the 2nd heat after your own heat or is that daft ? it would give time to return to your own table and turn off and disconnect your battery. it make make the change over a bit less rushed i think?????

buds

Not a bad idea but then does it get confusing for people who are used to the normal way??
Old 05-11-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Not a bad idea but then does it get confusing for people who are used to the normal way??

i quick name check for the marshals over the pa 2 mins from the end of the heat for the next ones to be ready then if they dont arrive at marshalling points penalise

buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 05-11-2009

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy
Default my 2 bob!

Alot of interesting talk, my views are

1: High vis vest is a good idea , as Roger said (keep track of who`s marshalling and where they are).

2: Track has a metre gap from rostrum to track

3: More time from finishing a race to getting out to marshal the next race.

4: The following heat and spectators are kept away from the track to stop blind spots and for safety reasons.

Andy
Old 05-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I had considered the marshal the heat after the heat after yours option myself, but figured it might lead to people failing to marshal. Not on purpose, they just settle down to start doing something and forget! The tannoy isn't always that easy to here whilst racing is going on.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 05-11-2009
Mad Member

I was racing in heat 7 and heat 9, so I had to race 4wd, dump the car, grab my truck and take it to marshall with me, then straight up onto the rostrum to race and then dump it and marshall again. One I got organised it was easy and I wasn't late for mashalling. It just takes organisation .

Clown
Old 05-11-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

theres enough time between you finishing racing and getting back out to marshal if you don't do a next 3 laps may be have a returns table plonk your car on there and have marshal 10 take bugs out and put them back on the table, pick them up after your race.
Old 05-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Actually half the problem was that I'd park my car after the jump on the lap I finished, but it took a while to get off the rostrum with the next heat coming on, then work my way through the crowd to retrieve my car, remove the bug, wander through the crowd to put the bug in the rack, wander through the crowd to stash my truck under the rostrum (only place I could find) and then get out to marshal.
If we eliminate the crowd at that bottom corner, that would really speed things up!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 05-11-2009

Some fair points there, the small gap between heats works fine if everyone has a pt, but maybe an extra 30 seconds between heats would give that little bit of time to return if you are on a hand out. I only managed it cause Mike Bradbury kindly took my car away after the race and sorted that out for me.

It'd be useful to have a table with space for all the cars transmitters so you could just pick your car up, switch off and go straight to marshall. I think the idea of skipping a heat is good in principle but it's simpler to just go straight out then there's no forgetting, or temptation to go and mess with your car.

The idea to start a little earlier is a good one and from reading other threads this will happen next time.

The other comment I would make would be with regard to marshalling, and I've seen this at other clubs, if you have a seat at the marshall position this serves 2 purposes; 1, it stops marshalls standing up and blocking the view of the drivers, and secondly points them to which bit of track they should be marshalling if it isn't obvious. I rarely complain about marshalls cause on the whole people do their best, but the problem is if you happen to make a mistake in the wrong part of the track and the mashall isn't looking where he should be you can lose maybe 10 seconds on one lap, enough to put you down the pecking order a good few places.

One other thing is with driving discipline, it'd be useful in a full heat that people know who are the faster cars, and in that situation a bit of commentary may be useful to stop the driivers who are being lapped 'racing' the faster cars.

Having said all that, these are minor comments and on the whole the club is run excellently by the team.

Old 05-11-2009

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Actually half the problem was that I'd park my car after the jump on the lap I finished, but it took a while to get off the rostrum with the next heat coming on, then work my way through the crowd to retrieve my car, remove the bug, wander through the crowd to put the bug in the rack, wander through the crowd to stash my truck under the rostrum (only place I could find) and then get out to marshal.
If we eliminate the crowd at that bottom corner, that would really speed things up!
Agreed these will all get sorted on the next Saturday track setup i`m sure.

Andy