Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 24-12-2011

Thumbs up gr8

Cant wait, look forward to meetin u.
Merry christmas N.B.C
Old 26-03-2012

Sorry guys that i haven't been able to make it on any of the weeks.
But i have been ironing out some flaws with the mad rat such as,

a) The shocks are a bit sloppy, a few drives and one of the oil seals have gone, so ill be getting these shocks for it - (rear) http://www.fastrax-rc.com/rc-product...0004356&cat=PO, (front) http://www.fastrax-rc.com/rc-product...0004354&cat=PO ....

b) The screw that goes through the diff to hold it together is a bit weak, it sheared off at a bash in thetford making me go home ....

c) The most major one, the front chassis brace - It is weak as hell, i have snapped 3 now. But i have done a mod to the rat to fix it, i have cut the same shape as the front chassis brace out some 2/3mm ally and screwed that over the top of the old chassis brace - It has worked wonders, it also has a little bumper on the end for little knocks.

For some upgrades is it worth getting, the Kevlar spur gear, kevlar diff gear, kevlar front chassis brace, and the carbon fiber shock towers and rear T piece? - here are the kevlar parts http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...h=79_82&page=2 --- I will buy all my other spares from Apex models as it's in the UK.

I have ordered some 30-35WT shock oil and i have some Pro-Line Bow Ties, schumacher cut staggers and schumacher rear block tyres.
I also have a brand new un-painted buggy shell ready to be painted for the track..... should expect to see me in the next few weeks, after i have the buggy dialed.

Thanks guys
Old 26-03-2012
Mad Member

Sounds like you have most things sorted there. I gather the kevlar gears are a worth while investment, but can't really comment on the rest as I don't run an ansmann. Just be aware that by making one part much stronger you could cause cause a more expensive part to break.

Personally I'd pop along to a race meeting to see what the guys are running that are using the same car as you.

Look forward to seeing you at a race meeting soon.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 26-03-2012

I probably wouldn't bother with carbon shock towers, as Jon says it's all too easy (& tempting) to make a part which is quick & easy to replace trackside strong ie, carbon or alloy) & end up effectively moving the weakest link to another component which may take ages to replace. Same with alloy hubs/hub carriers. I believe the rear T pieces were factory modded a while back so they may not be an issue.

I don't know what you've done to your Rat so far but with mine i fitted the ceramic diff balls & upgraded nylon idler gear (part No. AR28T)
Ball raced throughout.

I just bought a couple of the most common (but easily replaced) OE parts which break ie, shock towers, supsension arms, hubs etc.

Dave (Racingdwarf) may have something to say regarding the main diff screw as i believe he uses a different one in his Monkey due to the same problem...

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 26-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandare View Post
I probably wouldn't bother with carbon shock towers, as Jon says it's all too easy (& tempting) to make a part which is quick & easy to replace trackside strong ie, carbon or alloy) & end up effectively moving the weakest link to another component which may take ages to replace. Same with alloy hubs/hub carriers. I believe the rear T pieces were factory modded a while back so they may not be an issue.

I don't know what you've done to your Rat so far but with mine i fitted the ceramic diff balls & upgraded nylon idler gear (part No. AR28T)
Ball raced throughout.

I just bought a couple of the most common (but easily replaced) OE parts which break ie, shock towers, supsension arms, hubs etc.

Dave (Racingdwarf) may have something to say regarding the main diff screw as i believe he uses a different one in his Monkey due to the same problem...
I have used the hpi racing 28t metal idler gear instead of the stock one - it works a treat, and i have made a front chassis mount with bumper to protect and stop the breakages of the stock chassis brace.

i have ball raced the rat too so that shouldnt be an issue, just waiting on money to buy a new esc - the hobbywing xtreme stock....
I will speak to racingdwarfe regarding the diff screw and see what he reccomends.

Thanks