Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 20-03-2012

Default Council updates

I have started this new thread to post all communications I have with the council.

These are messages from earlier today (20.3.12) after an update from Roger. I mentioned we as a club are not happy with the limited and restricted parking being offered in the councils latest plans.
http://www.bmrcc.co.uk/images/Parking.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lianne,

Having shown the proposed parking plans on the map you forwarded to me last week to the club members, we as a club remain very dissapointed at the plans thus far.

I appreciate that you have passed on my previous response on March 15th, however i have had no response from the person to whom you have forwarded them too.
I feel it only appropriate to mention at this time that the club are presently looking at alternate locations to race.

The club was founded and has existed in Bury for many years and it would be a shame for it to move outside of the town, but members have located options outside of Bury where the essential parking is available.
I personally would like to see the club continue to grow in it's current location, but the members will ultimately decide if the parking issue remains as is.

Could I request a meeting with whom it is that can authorise any improved parking facilities, to those already proposed? with a view to preventing the club actually relocating!

In anticipation

Mr Darren Wales
Chairman
BMRCC

Bury Metro Member http://www.bmrcc.co.uk/

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Still have my old Team Associated C4.1, Team C Evo and Yokomo Bmax4 just in case my lads take up the sport someday.
Old 20-03-2012

Default council response

Hi Darren
Please could you confirm what exactly the club is looking for?
As far as I am aware there was no dedicated parking area previously so the proposal is an improvement on previous arrangements. There is also still the large main car park which has always been available and will continue to be.
We would of course be sorry to lose the club but I doubt we could provide your own 40 car area as you mentioned in a previous email.

Lianne

Lianne M. Dooley
Leisure Facilities Development Manager
3 Knowsley Place, Duke Street, Bury BL9 0EJ.

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Still have my old Team Associated C4.1, Team C Evo and Yokomo Bmax4 just in case my lads take up the sport someday.
Old 20-03-2012

Default Chairman response

Lianne,

Before the track was moved, whilst not dedicated, the unused area around the back of the old track provided parking for around 25+ cars.
Consider that the club has doubled its members as a result of the new track, then the need for more parking has doubled with it.

As I have said many times, it is key for security of 1000's of pounds of equipment, for it to be within sight of the drivers. Drivers are unlikely to be happy to leave their valuables on the main car park, as they rightly fear theft and we do not want to increase crime in the area and we will lose valuable members.

Whilst we acknowledge that the new track was provided to us by way of compensation for the old one, it appears the positioning and parking needs were not sufficiently considered. This I fear was due to a lack of consultation at that point.

I have been in consultation with yourselves from the moment I took over the Chairman role and discovered that no parking provision were being considered. I fully appreciate the council does not have endless funds to give every club what it desires, but our club has expanded along with our needs.

As I said on the day we met at the track, the area between the new building and our track is ideal for parking and our needs. We do not necessarily need dedicated parking, excluding all others, as I would seek to simply ask the other clubs to avoid using the spaces on Sunday race days.
This area is more than capable of providing sufficient parking well away from the nearest football pitch. The plans shown simply grass it over which is in our view a complete waste of what we see as the BEST space on the site for our parking needs.

Can I not meet directly with the site manager to at least discuss why this area is simply being grassed over?

In anticipation

Darren

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Old 20-03-2012

Default council response

I have had a chat with the architect and the director and at this moment there is nothing additional we can do.
The area you are keen to use has not been identified as parking so in this scheme would not meet the planning criteria. It has been left as green space so would need a separate application if this was to alter.

The best we can do is complete this project – any hold ups now would add additional costs which we cannot afford to pay.
We will then meet with your club and discuss the situation. Any other areas would need a planning application and there would be costs involved but we can consider that at a later date.

I would like to remind the club that there was no parking provided at the previous locations. Cars used to drive on the grass which was not really acceptable. We can only provide what we have proposed as part of the current scheme.

Lianne

Lianne M. Dooley
Leisure Facilities Development Manager
3 Knowsley Place, Duke Street, Bury BL9 0EJ

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Old 20-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok - Green space = somewhere we can pitch tents, just not somewhere we can drive cars.

Many tracks don't have full car access right to the track, we won't be alone in this. We'll just have to park in the main carpark and pit nearer the track as discussed.
Once we have power and.or members get 12V sources the need for close car access is reduced - add some shelter and you don't need the car near at all.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 20-03-2012

are we allowed to pit all the way around the track border without cars?
if so then there is plenty of space we should just do what we used to back in the day and just get yourself a 12v battery to use thats all i do outside anyway
Old 20-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm not sure how close the football pitches will come to the sides at the far end of the track though. Some come pretty close.
The area we previously parked on is however being re-turfed and just turned into an open green space. In my box thats fair game. So I reckon pitting around the nearer side of the track and behind the rostrum is viable.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 20-03-2012

Default fair point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I'm not sure how close the football pitches will come to the sides at the far end of the track though. Some come pretty close.
The area we previously parked on is however being re-turfed and just turned into an open green space. In my box thats fair game. So I reckon pitting around the nearer side of the track and behind the rostrum is viable.
Si.
You do make a valid point here. The grassed area i had hoped to have some facility to park on can be used to pitch tents etc on and if cars aren't cutting it up week in week out then it should remain decent enough.
Whilst the council haven't given us everything we asked for perhaps we should at least see how this pans out before making hasty moves away!

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Old 20-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Whilst we have been presented with other options, the truth is we are now committed to at least the first regional at Goshen. And we certainly aren't going to move before next Sunday!
So lets try and work with what we have first.

Like Tisher says, time to go old school. BITD we used old car batteries and leisure batteries. Most places I raced the track wasn't right next to where you parked, so you never used to pit in the boot of the car anyway. We've gotten spoiled is all!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 21-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Whilst we have been presented with other options
What other options?
Old 21-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We have been offered at least one possible location to move to instead of Goshen - but it is in Oldham.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 21-03-2012

[QUOTE=Dwales1;634600]-----------------

I would like to remind the club that there was no parking provided at the previous locations. Cars used to drive on the grass which was not really acceptable. We can only provide what we have proposed as part of the current scheme.

Lianne

Lianne M. Dooley

I beg to differ but when I took over, all the area between the house and the sports hall had a weed barrier which was covered with stone.
The gymnastics club later put a storage container near the hall. (Where the fire started) and the football put their container next to the house.
I believe also that there was even a drainage sump and pump under it, near the small gate.
Why else would the council have done that if it wasn't for parking?

Also Fan of "Shepherd Neame"
Old 21-03-2012

Default Another point

Has anyone walked around the track lately?
--------You can't
The ground is so waterlogged there is water standing making your socks wet.

Of all the years I've been doing the club, I can't remember any of our cars who had parked next to the track leaving any damage.
Barbecues burn the grass but the grass grows back in two weeks. Ask the chairman at Bury Football Club.
Damage to the football pitches were done by the locals doing doughnuts.
The most damage I remember was done when the Fairground left the site after some really nasty weather and that was on the slope up to our main gate corner.

Old 21-03-2012

Default ?

Roger,

You are right to be frustrated at the response from Lianne, who has used 1 instance and generalised it.
The driving on the football pitches issue was resolved when they put the barrier up at the end of the car park. So no longer going to happen.
But you cannot get away from the fact that soggy ground and heavy cars do not go well together, you only have to look at the mess created last season on the access to the spots at the side of the cabins.

I do not like the fact the council failed to fully understand the simple request for parking and specifically between the new building and our track, but they have made it pretty clear that they do not have planning permission for parking in the area we would like it, at this time!. The knee high barrier around the designated parking they have provided us is clearly to prevent driving on this ground and we should respect that if we are to convince them to obtain said planning in the future.

I have no intention of letting up with annoying them over this, you can be assured of that!

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Old 21-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwales1 View Post
at this time!. The knee high barrier around the designated parking they have provided us is clearly to prevent driving on this ground and we should respect that if we are to convince them to obtain said planning in the future.

I have no intention of letting up with annoying them over this, you can be assured of that!
I may well be wrong here, but i'm not so sure they need planning permission (from themselves?) to put tarmac/gravel over the grass. I thought planning permission was for buildings/structures over a certain size.

Darren, you're doing a good job here, keep at them.
Old 21-03-2012

Default And another thing

By reducing access we are now not a National standard track

Old 21-03-2012

Default Grass is good

I think everyone who races would prefer to pitch their tents on grass.
So the grassed area used for about six hours a week would be perfect.

Old 21-03-2012

Default Oh! and...

And what about the floodlights we used to have on the side of the sports hall??

Old 21-03-2012

By looking around yesterday, gives me the impression they are forcing us away, there really is no room around the track for parking, and they know that! What the hell is going to happen when 100+ drivers arrive for the regionals ? I dont even think the main carpark can accommodate that amount of people...
Old 21-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The main carpark can, provided nobody else wants to use it!

Anyway all we can do is try.
It won't work, but unless we demonstrate it won't work we really don't have much option. Even if we decide to move we need to keep Goshen going until we are set up at our new location so we need to make this work or at least prove it won't.

Agreed that this means the track isn't national standard, but TBH we'd need a lot of other things to happen before parking was the only reason we don't have a national!
I believe we can make the regionals work but it won't be ideal and people will moan. Direct those moans back to the council.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC