Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 17-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Yep one was mine and I really liked it once I'd bolted on an alloy 'bent' horn and replaced the rear shock shafts. Steve managed to break a rear shock tower and I think something happened to Mark's in the final, but not sure what. Si woosed out with an excuse that he hadn't fit any outdoor tyres to his [the one between rounds].

In comparison to the 22 I was running inbetween the fixes, the 210 felt so solid. Once the teething issues are solved I'm sure it will be the club car to beat for many a year.
Mine was a motor problem tony i found the car to be a1 all day loads of grip in the wet few crashes/clips but car was solid i was running craigs set up but with tapered pistons what adam uses from me
Old 17-10-2011

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

I'll try and clear a couple of issues up on here:

1. Shocks shafts are correct in the kit. Just make sure you have fitted the rubber bumpstop onto the shock shaft before you fit the rod end.. Also once the spring perch is on there the piston doesn't break the top of the body.

We've had no issues throughout testing with shocks sticking at full compression.

As for the option part page, the 52mm shaft shouldn't be listed there. I'll get it removed today. It's also in the manual...

2. Diff - Circlip. It's best to install the circlip with some good Circlip pliers. It can be rendered useless if you try and force it in... A few tips here to help ensure your diff is built correctly.
a. There are two sides to the clip a flat side and a rounded side. When you install the circlip keep the 'flat' side facing you this way when under pressure from the thrust race the contact faces between the clip and the diff ring are the flat ones.

b. One the circlip is installed. Try to open it out a little either with the circlip pliers you just installed it with. Or insert a large flat blade screw driver between the open ends of the circlip and give the screwdriver a twist, this will open the circlip back out a little removing any 'shrinkage' of the clip on installation.

c. Make sure you put in the diff screw and T-nut in the correct sides. It builds differently to other diffs out there. Don't just build it 'the way you have been building ball diffs for 20 odd years'.

3. Breakages.
Shock Towers
These are always hard ones to justify... Sometimes when you break something you only see the end result of part that has already been weakened. We broke towers in testing and in racing, but TBH they were justified. We have towers from the production batch and the mix is good.

Steering.
Honestly, we never saw a broken one of these during testing, it must have been a really hefty hit.. We even did some testing at Coventry so we know what to expect from the track.

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 17-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Skelding View Post

1. Shocks shafts are correct in the kit. Just make sure you have fitted the rubber bumpstop onto the shock shaft before you fit the rod end.. Also once the spring perch is on there the piston doesn't break the top of the body.

We've had no issues throughout testing with shocks sticking at full compression.

As for the option part page, the 52mm shaft shouldn't be listed there. I'll get it removed today. It's also in the manual...

2. Diff - Circlip. It's best to install the circlip with some good Circlip pliers. It can be rendered useless if you try and force it in... A few tips here to help ensure your diff is built correctly.
a. There are two sides to the clip a flat side and a rounded side. When you install the circlip keep the 'flat' side facing you this way when under pressure from the thrust race the contact faces between the clip and the diff ring are the flat ones.

b. One the circlip is installed. Try to open it out a little either with the circlip pliers you just installed it with. Or insert a large flat blade screw driver between the open ends of the circlip and give the screwdriver a twist, this will open the circlip back out a little removing any 'shrinkage' of the clip on installation.

c. Make sure you put in the diff screw and T-nut in the correct sides. It builds differently to other diffs out there. Don't just build it 'the way you have been building ball diffs for 20 odd years'.

3. Breakages.
Shock Towers
These are always hard ones to justify... Sometimes when you break something you only see the end result of part that has already been weakened. We broke towers in testing and in racing, but TBH they were justified. We have towers from the production batch and the mix is good.

Steering.
Honestly, we never saw a broken one of these during testing, it must have been a really hefty hit.. We even did some testing at Coventry so we know what to expect from the track.
Nice advise Adam thanks
Old 17-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Many thanks, going to re- check my diff build tonight re which side I put the C clip
Old 17-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Skelding View Post

Thanks for all the advice Adam. Pity I bought the option shafts when listed by MB as spares for the 210 . I can only think then that there must have been some kind of build error on my behalf, I did have the rubber gromit fitted, so I'm a bit mystified.

Super feel to the car BTW. I used Craig's setup for the National at Southport.
Old 17-10-2011

i cant find it in the manual but what should the shock lengths be?

Run my dex210 yesterday for the first time, i had a couple of issues with the diff during the build and wasnt 100% happy with it, but after its first run all was good, re adjusted the diff again and was faultless all day. im very happy with my frst 2wd buggy

Also a quick question for you setup experts out there: how do you get more on power steering other than changing tyres as i only have one set of front wheels at the mo! with stagged ribs fitted.

thanks
Old 17-10-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

Could tryraising rear inner camber link, lower steering spindle, soften front end, or lengthen front camber link
Old 17-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Thanks for all the advice Adam. Pity I bought the option shafts when listed by MB as spares for the 210 . I can only think then that there must have been some sought of build error on my behalf, I did have the rubber gromit fitted, so I'm a bit mystified.

Super feel to the car BTW. I used Craig's setup for the National at Southport.
with the shock rod-end screwed on fully and the shock built with the bump-stop AND the spring cup the piston will not go any further than it should.

As long as you can get the amount of droop that you want when using those option shock shafts, you can use them no problem.
Old 17-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Butcher View Post
i cant find it in the manual but what should the shock lengths be?

Run my dex210 yesterday for the first time, i had a couple of issues with the diff during the build and wasnt 100% happy with it, but after its first run all was good, re adjusted the diff again and was faultless all day. im very happy with my frst 2wd buggy

Also a quick question for you setup experts out there: how do you get more on power steering other than changing tyres as i only have one set of front wheels at the mo! with stagged ribs fitted.

thanks
you can't overcome 'wrong' tires, but some things that will help.

more caster will give you more on-power steering (but reduce turn-in)
also you could try playing with the trailing axle amount... its a really simple change that should have an effect on the way the car enters and exits turns
Old 17-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doughty View Post
with the shock rod-end screwed on fully and the shock built with the bump-stop AND the spring cup the piston will not go any further than it should.

As long as you can get the amount of droop that you want when using those option shock shafts, you can use them no problem.
If you use the shock boots do you also have to use the bump-stop as i think i remember that on the normal DEX410 shocks you don´t need them as the shock boots fully compressed work as a kind of bump-stop, am i correct?
Old 17-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratti View Post
If you use the shock boots do you also have to use the bump-stop as i think i remember that on the normal DEX410 shocks you don´t need them as the shock boots fully compressed work as a kind of bump-stop, am i correct?
Yes, pretty much, but with it counting on a 'crumpled' rubber it could be a less consistent bump stop amount. it might be worth checking and adding some external spacers to compensate if required.
Old 17-10-2011

Hi
I ordered the 52mm shafts the black ones direct from td can i send them back and either get a refund or the correct ones
Old 17-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
Hi
I ordered the 52mm shafts the black ones direct from td can i send them back and either get a refund or the correct ones
drop an email directly to Durango - support@team-durango.com

Forums are great for 'chat' about products, but if you really need an answer to a question or a query direct communication is the best way.

posts in forums are so easy to miss, it just happens that I saw this one as I'm actively looking on this thread today.
Old 17-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doughty View Post
drop an email directly to Durango - support@team-durango.com

Forums are great for 'chat' about products, but if you really need an answer to a question or a query direct communication is the best way.

posts in forums are so easy to miss, it just happens that I saw this one as I'm actively looking on this thread today.
Not much going on today then Chris? feet up, oople on...
Old 17-10-2011

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondell View Post
Not much going on today then Chris? feet up, oople on...
Nail on Head!