Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 29-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
whats due April I must be missing something on the TLR website?
It got pull said it was a 22 4.0 chassis
Old 29-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Any ideas why?
Both Ellis and Chris are using a different car to what is available aswell and have been for a couple of weeks
Old 30-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Both Ellis and Chris are using a different car to what is available aswell and have been for a couple of weeks
Different in what way?
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 30-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Different in what way?
In a 22 4.0 way
Old 30-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Different in what way?
It's not for me to say if TLR are anything to go buy you'll see it some time never 👍👍👍
Old 02-02-2017
Mad Member

Got to be coming or why would the stop selling something they've only just brought out

Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoonline/j29_tlr/j29_kits/tlr03013/tlr-22-4.html

Last edited by mes; 03-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

Not really a shock
Annoying tho
Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

As I sold my 3.0 a while ago instead of investing in one of the rather expensive laydown gearbox options and currently do not have a 2WD buggy, I cannot say that I am annoyed by TLR's announcement of the 4.0, which will likely not hit the shelves before May. Had they decided to give the 22T 3.0 the treatment they gave to the buggy, I most probably would not have gone for the Xray as quite a few of my racing buddies drive a fleet of TLR cars and trucks. If I had bought the 3.0 and put in one of those pricey gearboxes only recently, I would be annoyed for sure, though.
Other than that, TLR did a great job by addressing virtually everything I disliked on the 3.0. With the addition of the gear diff in th kit, they would have scored a 10/10 in my book. I had already thrown an eye on the Cougar KC, but now I seem to be crosseyed!
Old 03-03-2017

4.0 = 3.0 as it should have been from the start
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Wonder how easy it is to swap from stand up to laydown
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Wonder how easy it is to swap from stand up to laydown
As long as your wires are long enough, this should basically not be a big issue. Of course, completing both gearboxes with internals and shock towers with shock mounts will speed things up quite a bit. I used to switch between the standard and the original lowrider gearbox on my B5M relatively often before deciding that the B5MLR did not work for me on outdoor tracks.
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
4.0 = 3.0 as it should have been from the start
For us astro and carpet racers yes, but I can see the 3.0's usefulness for the substantially larger US medium grip clay community and the track conditions the TLR designers experienced when they developed the 3.0.
It is still a great car in lower grip conditions, as is my son's VBC Racing Firebolt that gathers dust in our cellar. I was surprised at how good that buggy was a really loose and bumpy dirt track. Times change, though, and some companies are faster to adopt than others.
Old 03-03-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

nice looking car.
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Being an old school racer and driving a xx that my dad made little changes too does all stuff he's talking about in the video actually make any difference or is all just bs
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

If you want to race competitvely, reduce your lap times and know how to find a good set-up for the surface you are running on, all these features will bring you a great step or even leap forward. Even if the car should not feel any faster at first, lap times don't lie. If you switch from an old-school XX to a mid motor car and run on a track with a decent amount on grip, you'll notice the difference instantly. Switching from a B5M to a YZ-2 for me was almost as big an improvement as converting my 1st gen B-Max2 to the MR version.

To sum things up: Properly designed laydown cars are a noticable improvement over std mid-motor cars, and all the features of the 4.0 improve adjustability and address the few design shortcomings the 3.0 used to have. I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you'd give the 4.0 (or any other big manufacturer's current 2WD) a try. Also, the current breed of cars is much more durable than anything before the original TLR 22, so it would be kind of you to send your classic XX into its well deserved retirement.
Old 03-03-2017

Really like the look of this - mainly because I use to race Losi all the time back in the day and fancy some nostalgia anyone know if a gear diff is available before I put a deposit down?
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
If you want to race competitvely, reduce your lap times and know how to find a good set-up for the surface you are running on, all these features will bring you a great step or even leap forward. Even if the car should not feel any faster at first, lap times don't lie. If you switch from an old-school XX to a mid motor car and run on a track with a decent amount on grip, you'll notice the difference instantly. Switching from a B5M to a YZ-2 for me was almost as big an improvement as converting my 1st gen B-Max2 to the MR version.

To sum things up: Properly designed laydown cars are a noticable improvement over std mid-motor cars, and all the features of the 4.0 improve adjustability and address the few design shortcomings the 3.0 used to have. I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you'd give the 4.0 (or any other big manufacturer's current 2WD) a try. Also, the current breed of cars is much more durable than anything before the original TLR 22, so it would be kind of you to send your classic XX into its well deserved retirement.
I bought a 22 3.0 not that long ago and while of course it faster than my old xx (not by as much as you thibk) I'm wondering if I'd really notice any difference between a 3.0 and 4.0 I suspect not
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
Really like the look of this - mainly because I use to race Losi all the time back in the day and fancy some nostalgia anyone know if a gear diff is available before I put a deposit down?
There was some take a specific gear diff for the 22 3.0 in another thread so not sure if that would fit here too
Old 03-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
I bought a 22 3.0 not that long ago and while of course it faster than my old xx (not by as much as you thibk) I'm wondering if I'd really notice any difference between a 3.0 and 4.0 I suspect not
On high-grip with a gear diff and once you adjusted your driving style I bet you will. You'll carry much more corner speed if you dare going through corners as fast as the car is capable. Some of it will come naturally from the car, the other part is up to the driver. My TLR driving buddies were happy when they switched from the 2.0 to the 3.0, but I could still hold the faster ones at bay with my YZ-2. There were approx. 0.8 sec between the hot laps of my 3-gear YZ-2 and my 3.0 on a tight indoor track (Racing Arena Limburg), and my experience was the same on astroturf. When my buddies switched to the delrin laydown gearbox, things were as before I had the laydown advantage, i.e. the faster guys were faster than me again. Other more talented and younger drivers experienced similar things with their Kyoshos when switching from the RB6 to the RB6.6, i.e. returning to the front of the fast pack from just trying to hang on.
That being said, the 3.0 will still be a good car when the 4.0 is released and more than capable in the right hands, just not as fast on a high-grip track. If there is lots of sand on your track or it does not dry up, the 4.0 with a stand-up gearbox may or may not be faster, but more adjustable. With a stand-up gearbox, cars in my experience accelerate better than laydown cars, but are considerably slower through the corners.
Like it or not, today it is about having the right car and the right set-up for the right track, much more so than when we still used to run Holeshots on virtually every circuit on the continent.

Last edited by mes; 03-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.