Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 15-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guys, apologies for jumping in on something I'm no expert on, but is there any chance this specific failure could be from momentary jamming of the driveshaft in the outdrive, from setting too much droop (assuming its possible)?

The only time I've had one fail on my cars ws when I had set too much droop and was popping the driveshaft out of the cup, one time it jammed as it popped and broke the pin? Just thinking maybe it could be reaching the edge and jamming for a split second without actually popping out? Maybe having a geared diff also makes it worse as there's less "give" in the diff end, what state are the outdrives in on the cars that have failed?
Old 15-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Mulcahy View Post
I will get my coat and keep my nose out of things I dont know about. All cars have teething troubles when these are sorted it will be one of the best cars out there if not the best.

yeah you are probably correct the only trouble is the car would get such a bad rep and no fool would part with £450+for it (the + is for part postage to TD)
Old 15-02-2010
Mad Member

Ive had one pin move on a front drive shaft Dave and two on the centre shafts, which dont have any movement so it can only be down to a manufacturing fault.

All were returned to Adam and replaced without issue and have been fine since.
Old 15-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd View Post
Ive had one pin move on a front drive shaft Dave and two on the centre shafts, which dont have any movement so it can only be down to a manufacturing fault.

All were returned to Adam and replaced without issue and have been fine since.
Fair enough, just an idea as they looked similar to an issue I once had!
Old 15-02-2010
Mad Member

Dont you fancy a Durango Dave!?
Old 16-02-2010

I've had a similar problem with old style RC10 dogbones.
I was able to repair the pin by laying them flat on an anvil, putting the tip of a slotted screwdriver against it and hammer it to "crimp" the center of the pin slightly. I would do this on opposite sides of the pin, and then press the crimped part into the center of the bone hole (that sounds weird), and it would stay, even when it wore thin, or I broke the bone in a race.
I also, make my own drive pins for axles/cvd's from steel rod that I get from my LHS for about $1. Makes 50+ pins, depending on which length I need. I made all the pins on my 410, XXXTCR, XXX, and FT RC10T4.
Old 16-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd View Post
I think suggesting anyone that has a warrenty claim on a Durango part should get a rtr is a stupid comment
I've started racing and building cars over 15 years ago and am perfectly capable of putting a kit together and I had a faulty driveshaft which was replaced by Adam no problems.

I find this to be the stongest car I have owned, just with some teething trouble experianced by quite a few owners, obviously you've been ok but I don't think that's down to you being able to build the car better than the rest of us shaved apes
Fair enough, I did go a bit far with the RTR comment, had only been awake for about 3 mins, so brain wasn't fully in gear, sorry.

Just annoys me reading all this stuff, oh this bit is crap, that bit is rubbish, when most of it is down to the person building it, sure there are some teething problems, like the dog bone pins coming out, but it is a new company, who are at the mercy of someone else to make the bits for them, hell even brand new Mercs, Audis and BMWs go wrong, or look at Toyota at the mo, everybody thought they never went wrong, now it seems that some of them come wrong.

It would be a lot worse if we'd all paid £450, $650 or whatever, and found that the car just isn't as fast as we all hoped, for me, I've been playing with RC cars for 28 years, had at least 52 cars that I can remember, and this is by far the best one I've had, in just about everyway

Last edited by JohnM; 16-02-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added bit
Old 16-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
sure there are some teething problems, like the dog bone pins coming out, but it is a new company, who are at the mercy of someone else to make the bits for them, hell even brand new Mercs, Audis and BMWs go wrong, or look at Toyota at the mo, everybody thought they never went wrong, now it seems that some of them come wrong.

It would be a lot worse if we'd all paid £450, $650 or whatever, and found that the car just isn't as fast as we all hoped, for me, I've been playing with RC cars for 28 years, had at least 52 cars that I can remember, and this is by far the best one I've had, in just about everyway
Why not just leave it as the above then, rather than adding comments blaming the owner when you have no idea if it's true?

Fact is the bit I've quoted is perfectly valid, of course new cars/companies will have teething problems, and also they seem to be great about replacing broken parts, it's fast, it looks the nuts, why not just let that justify the price rather than what happens too much on here where it's "it's easily the best quality" then "if it's gone wrong it's your fault" then finally "of course there's teething problems" (just paraphrasing various comments over the last few months).

If the first response was more "of course there's teething problems but they are great at replacing parts, you can try x,y and z to fix it, and boy isn't it awesome other than these little things" then maybe you'd not end up with people posting about their disappointment??

I know this bit will get ignored but please note I'm not slagging the car or Durango, all cars have little issues and not all companies do as much to fix them as Durango so all credit too them, I'm just saying maybe everyone should lay off the guys who come on here with valid queries instead of laying into them?
Old 17-02-2010

guys, if you will notice, this may just be a problem of quality control:

Bearings - noted to be "bad quality", they are not made by durango

Pins - some isolated cases of them falling out, pins probably not made by durango - could be because they are not consistent enough in size

Diff rings - small parts that are difficult to produce in a tolerances needed for there application, will take some ironing out of the molds to get the clearances right

Just some of the things that i have heard - again, small issues with production and outside products, not design, build, or maintenance flaws - but the latter two could be contributing to the problem

relax, it happens to all

Xray - Durango - Futaba - Tekin
Old 17-02-2010

Issue resolved. Thanks Adam.
Old 21-02-2010

I do not think it is isolated problems, 4 guys with Durango's I know have the same pin problem including me.

What upsets me is that I do not see any comments from Team Durango here...?
I am sure they are swampted with people complaining about the quality and yet Adam does not comment ?

Any Durango owners feel any Buyers Remorse ?

Does anyone know if you can send the car back for a refund?
Old 21-02-2010
Mad Member

Change the roll pins at the wheels for something solid and put the cvd pins in with two grub screws and heat shrink tube round them, make sure they are greased and check them now and again.
The pins are a bit smaller than other makes and need checking a little more regular but if you do the above no more problems.
I was pissed when mine came loose and the roll pins broke early on but now i have no trouble with them, it only costs a couple of quid for some heat shrink and solid pins for the wheels.
Old 21-02-2010

You have been redeemed. Nice !
I still want Adam to comment on this.

Have you noticed that if you should hit the front wheel from the side, that the bearings move inward. Poor design on the C hub inner bearing support.

What would the solution be for that ? Buy another cars C hub ?
Old 21-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
Any Durango owners feel any Buyers Remorse ?
Yes and only with 30mins use. Quality control on the kits is horrible. What's worse is that all the bags have the QC sticker on them! Quality control needs stepping up or they need a new manufacturer, neither will probably happen.

As a car that is still so new you would expect these things to have been resolved by now but I'll still give the car more of a chance.

A real shame. Team Duwrongo
Old 21-02-2010

Qoute: "A real shame. Team Duwrongo"

Hahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahah !!

The best one I have heared so far. Lets start a new thread,
Old 21-02-2010

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares View Post
Yes and only with 30mins use. Quality control on the kits is horrible. What's worse is that all the bags have the QC sticker on them! Quality control needs stepping up or they need a new manufacturer, neither will probably happen.

As a car that is still so new you would expect these things to have been resolved by now but I'll still give the car more of a chance.

A real shame. Team Duwrongo
Ryan,
I'm not sure what you mean by the car being so new and the problems being resolved. A bit if a contradiction in terms don't you think?

People who have experienced problems and spoke to us have got their solution.
People who 'complain' on forums without contacting the manufacturer don't.

We are finalising solutions to issues we've found through our own team and through customers (who've got in touch wit us) feedback.

Like you said the car is new, we can only fix the issues in time and time is what it takes.
The kit was hugely popular so it's been hard for us to get issued sorted in batches which are already sold. But like I've said if people get in touch with us then we do our best to help them out as you are well aware!