Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 18-02-2010

Default 511 essential spares/hop ups

Ok, so i am getting very close to ordering a 511 from HK but while im at it could somebody please advise as to which spares are commonly needed and any hop ups that are recommended. Thanks
Old 18-02-2010
Administrator

Get some spare front hubs / knuckles and suspension arms (front and rear). I'd also get some of the things that wear out / can get damaged and can end your day - centre pulleys and a diff pulley along with some rod ends.

The inner camber link ball studs are made of cheese - I'd not run these or fit them to your car if you can help it. They are the bright silver ones. Get the hex driver ones to replace them or even ansmann ones (I replaced mine with ones from the 50 quid ansmann mad rat kit - far superior)
Old 18-02-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Yep, those shiny inner balls are rubbish, I bent them all last night. The rest of the car stayed in one piece though, oh, apart from a stripped out front hex on the wheel.

I'd add in getting 501X front and rear wishbones. And shock tops and shafts. And hinge pins.

I can break everything.
Old 18-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncrabb View Post
Yep, those shiny inner balls are rubbish, I bent them all last night. The rest of the car stayed in one piece though, oh, apart from a stripped out front hex on the wheel.

I'd add in getting 501X front and rear wishbones. And shock tops and shafts. And hinge pins.

I can break everything.
In 2 and a half years of running 501's/511's, I have never done a shock top or stripped a hex, you must be an animal!

With wishbones, just decide whether you want 501 or 511 wishbones and get one type, no point carrying both!
Old 18-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
In 2 and a half years of running 501's/511's, I have never done a shock top or stripped a hex, you must be an animal!
Old 18-02-2010

I beat the crap out of my 511 last night, i only managed to break it at 12am with mega ramp abuse, i just broke a standard ball stud after getting it wrong and hitting a pipe on landing. Full speed ramping! These things are super strong...

MK Racing
Horizon Hobby UK
Team Losi
Old 18-02-2010

Anybody know the part numbers for:

front hubs and knuckles
centre pulleys and a diff pulley

Are the belts worth getting as well and what size would i need?
Old 18-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd get some spare wheel nuts too. The fronts do seem to come loose often which can lead to stripped hexes, but if you replace the wheel nuts on a regular basis it reduces the chances of it happening.
Old 18-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
I'd get some spare wheel nuts too. The fronts do seem to come loose often which can lead to stripped hexes, but if you replace the wheel nuts on a regular basis it reduces the chances of it happening.
Use the serrated nuts, they fix the wheel nut issue. Part number is on the below link along with other hopups etc:

http://www.trfracing.co.uk/page_1266421668280.html

Knuckles are 54131, belt is 54140!
Old 18-02-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Use the serrated nuts, they fix the wheel nut issue. Part number is on the below link along with other hopups etc:

http://www.trfracing.co.uk/page_1266421668280.html

Knuckles are 54131, belt is 54140!
But remember - if your hex is crap, the wheel will come off 100 times faster with serrated nuts Only use them on wheels with a hex in good condition.
Old 18-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have a shed load of standard wheel nuts that I'm working my way through! I can't bring myself to open the fancy TRF packaging on the serrated wheel nuts
Old 18-02-2010
Mad Member

I ended up just threadlocking the front nuts, seemed to work a treat.

Weirdly I never had the same issue on the DB01, I think it's cos the DB01 has a plastic spacer between the bearings, and the 511 a metal one.
Old 18-02-2010
Mad Member

Core RC do the serrated nuts in tamiya blue for not alot of money. I use them on all my cars now.

I genarally carry all the plastic parts trees for the 501 and DB01, a couple of sets of wishbones, all the shock spares, hinge pins, bearings, all the hubs, pullys, belts, spur gears and a front shock tower for both cars.

The only thing Ive broken on my 501 is a rear hinge pin, a shock shaft and a wishbone but I would recommend getting a set of hinge pin pivot balls too, I lost one at bury and had to wait a week to get some from HK as no one in the UK stocked them, Good job my DB01 and 416 use the same ones or I would have been stuck.

Clown
Old 18-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncrabb View Post
Weirdly I never had the same issue on the DB01, I think it's cos the DB01 has a plastic spacer between the bearings, and the 511 a metal one.
LOL, it's the DB01 that I've had problems with! That's running the 511 WO driveshafts too.
Old 25-02-2010

Get a spare set of hexes. My first outing with my 511 was ruined when my front wheel came off and I lost a hex

FYI you'll probably get your kit and parts cheaper from rc champ than the HK stores