Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 29-08-2018

Default Steering Servo for Cougar KC

Hi everyone, just found this website while looking into buying my first serious RC car.

I've bought the kit and most of the equipment for it including a Servo (Savox SV-0220MG). To be honest most of the stuff I've bought has been from doing research and trying to work within a budget which is why not all of it is the best at the moment.

One thing I have read is about how noisy the Savox servo's are. I'm not sure how this will affect me until I plug it in to see, but there is also a lot of talk about brownouts with Savox servo's which has me a bit worried. Should I be looking at an alternative servo and use the Savox on another kit? Core-RC makes a 9008TG servo which is a lot faster than the Savox, should I buy that one? Will it stop brownouts as the Core-RC isn't HV? I'll be running it with a Absima Brushless motor and esc.

Any help you can give would be great. Again I know I won't be fastest on the track, just want to get some experience as I go, but at the same time I don't want to lose control due to a Brownout.

Thanks
Old 29-08-2018

Savox don’t seem to be very smooth either

https://www.insidelinemodels.com/ins...vos/srt-servos

The above servos get good reviews and people I have seen use them like them a lot, they also pointed out my savox was not smooth at all

Last edited by Casper7; 29-08-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 29-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper7 View Post
Savox don’t seem to be very smooth either

https://www.insidelinemodels.com/ins...vos/srt-servos

The above servos get good reviews and people I have seen use them like the a lot, they also pointed out my savox was not smooth at all
Thanks for the link. I haven't heard of that company till now. They have a pretty good spec servo as well.
Old 29-08-2018

We have been using savox servos for some years now without any problems, the one we use is the 1258tg don't use the low profile one as its a bit on the weak side also don't be tempted to use a alloy servo horn stay with the plastic one or you'll destroy the gears. Regards brown outs we have never suffered from this. Hope this helps
Old 29-08-2018

We've used Savox servos with the Absima CTS speed controller and haven't had an issue with brown outs, if you're unfortunate enough to suffer from this you can fit a capacitor to the receiver.
Old 29-08-2018

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think I've opened Pandora's box on these servo's. Not even sure if the Savox I got is sufficient. My esc only has 6v output so any servo will max out at 6v, but am I correct to assume when the battery discharges this will be reduced? My 2s lipo running 7.4 will cut off around 3.4 to protect the battery, but will the steering servo cut out before then?

I'm thinking I need a servo that can operate at 4.8v, or will the esc still keep supplying 6v until the battery drains to 3.4?

Also as for the size my Savox is std, but a lot of the higher spec servo's seem to be low profile. I'm really sorry, this is my first attempt to run a lipo system with higher spec components. My old TT-01 ran with NIMH and a cheap Tamiya esc, brushed motor and slow servo.
Old 30-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman_fishing View Post
We have been using savox servos for some years now without any problems, the one we use is the 1258tg don't use the low profile one as its a bit on the weak side also don't be tempted to use a alloy servo horn stay with the plastic one or you'll destroy the gears. Regards brown outs we have never suffered from this. Hope this helps
Yep I got the low profile SB-2263MG Black Edition as I needed the space to fit my Orion pro 10.1 and receiver into my Yokomo YZ2 CA, very notch servo imo
Old 31-08-2018

Well, this isn't going very well at all. Went on a spending spree and bought a Corrally Cerix Pro 120 ESC and a Monster 17.5t Motor. This should allow me to do some club racing.

I see some cheap new stuff being sold on eBay soon!