Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 02-03-2014

Default Looking to start racing

Hi!

I'm getting back into the hobby after 8 or 9 years out, I used to drive a hopped up TT-01 for general bashing around.

I have just bought a used T.O.P racing photon, which I will be building to race on Monday nights at your club. I visited a race night at your old club venue (was it longbenton?) years ago when you raced on carpet, but I see now its on a polished gym floor?

I was wondering what motor I would need to race with you guys, as well as any setup advice for racing on polished wood.

Thanks guys, hopefully will get down to a meet soon with my car once I build it!

Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated! Jonathan
Old 02-03-2014

Hi mate

I've just gone back last week after ten years, and racing a buggy was suggested to run around a 6.5 turn brushless. I've bought my son a touring car and been advised around a 13.5 turn brushless

I picked one up and the esc for about £80. Not running it yet though as son is only 7 and still learning the control of the car, so left the factory one in. If you are coming along to the club and want to borrow this motor just let me know, happy to help

Paul

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 02-03-2014

Hi Paul, thanks for the info and very kind offer!

Hoping to come to a meet with my new chassis once I rebuild it and get some advice.

Cheers, Jonathan
Old 03-03-2014

Awesome, hopefully see you there soon!

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 04-03-2014

Hi Polo

Motors are un-restricted for buggies, run what you like so long as it's electric.
TC's we run 13.5 or 10.5 brushless or 27T or 19T if you're looking ot use brushed.

Pop along any Monday, you'll be more than welcome and we have a few recently returning drivers on track at the moment so some close racing throughtout the ability ranges
Old 05-03-2014

Thanks mate, sounds spot on! I will get looking for a 13.5 brushless combo!

Car arrived yesterday and I've already stripped it down for the rebuild. Ordered a new chassis plate so really going from the ground up, hopefully I can build a quick car.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloJJ View Post
Thanks mate, sounds spot on! I will get looking for a 13.5 brushless combo!

Car arrived yesterday and I've already stripped it down for the rebuild. Ordered a new chassis plate so really going from the ground up, hopefully I can build a quick car.

Thanks!
Excellent - hope to see you racing with us soon.
13.5 or 10.5 both acceptable as I said, 10.5 very slightly faster on track overall - mainly only on the straight - but increases tyre wear a fair bit.
We have a few "just returned" racers so hopefully some good competuition
Old 07-03-2014

Ive been back racing the last two weeks after ten years out, and I have to say, all of the lads there are spot on! Incredibly helpful and encouraging

Old 07-03-2014

Thanks lads, looking forward to it. My new parts have arrived so the rebuild will start this weekend. Cheers!
Old 10-03-2014

Ah thats good! Will you be along tonight? Even if not racing, pop in anyway, good to get to know people there

Old 07-04-2014

Hi, thread hijack

After racing MINI's since last summer I have just got myself a TC which I have used a couple of times locally down south. I will be up visiting relatives next week and am tempted to come along and race on the 14th (as I might be moving to Newcastle in the future)

It is currently 13.5T which seems ok from other threads I have seen. You run on normal floor is that right? I am used to tarmac or carpet and currently have Sorex 32's, no idea what it would be like on a normal surface, would it be ok? I presume you don't use tyre additive?

cheers

Darren
Old 08-04-2014

Hi Darren - you're more than welcome to come along and join us - always happy to have guests - especially if you're moving up this direction and may become a regular.

13.5t or 10.5t is what we run for TC's tho there's very little difference between them on the polished wooden floor.

Narrow minipins work best on the floor - I'm sure someone will lend you a set of part worns if you don't want to buy tyres and wheels for just the one night, unfortunateley it won't be me as its the son's birthday next Monday so I won't be racing.

But definitely get yourself along if you're in the area, particularly if you could be moving local. I'm sure you'll have a great night.
Old 08-04-2014

Hi, thanks for the reply, I will definitely be along to check it out, will see if I can fit the RC car in my real car amongst all the other stuff I will be bringing up and just watch if not

cheers
Old 09-04-2014

I've mentioned to a few of the lad's you're coming along so there'll be a set of tyres/wheels for you to lend from someone :-)
Old 09-04-2014

Excellent thanks

Darren
Old 15-04-2014

Great fun last night, thanks to Nigel for lending me some tyres, challenging on a different surface to what I'm used to but very amusing

I will be along again next time I'm in the area
Old 16-04-2014

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it Darren, just a shame it sounded like a bit of a quiet night for TyneMet.
Some people tend to miss race nights during school holidays due to being away with kids which is the reason we never race bank hols!

Hopefully see you back again - let us know if you do move up this way