Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 10-09-2016

Default Anyone remember Maidstone Model Car Racing Club?

I've been up in Scotland for just over 20years now, but I used to go to Maidstone Model Car Racing Club and I wondered if anyone is still around from those days?

We used to run on grass on an open space near the river. We had a permanent scaffold type rostrum. We ran some fairly big meetings including regionals.

My first car was was a Tamiya Falcon! Then I raced various Schumacher cats until I switched to RC10s I raced there in the late 80s and early 90s as well as regional and national. We also used to race indoors at Cornwallis School near Linton. I also raced Mardave ministocks there.

If anyone is around from those days please say hi! If not please excuse my post.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D
ae RC10 Team Car (original black tub version)
Sanwa - Reedy - Savox - Hobbywing - Centro - THR

If I have any stuff for sale you will find it here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncanglas...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 13-09-2016
Mad Member

Hi Duncan.

I'm pretty sure among our members there are a few that used to race at Maidstone. Is this the track that was near Parkwood?
Old 13-09-2016

Default Maidstone

Cant remember if we raced at Parkwood. It rings a bell....

Outdoors in my time was at Maidstone/Allington on an open space just off Castle Road - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.29...7i13312!8i6656

Indoors (Mini Stox and offroad - mainly just club racing) was at Cornwallis school on the way out to Linton. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.23.../data=!3m1!1e3

Main guy who set it up originally was a guy called Harvey? Really nice guy. Some really good guys there. I remember a really nice guy called Steve who was an Ex Speedway racer (real motorbikes). Outdoors we hosted a few regionals and raced against Eastbourne, Eden Park, East Grindstead, Buckmore Park, and memory fails the others . It was in the era of Kevin Moore, the Ralls brothers and i'm sure many more that my memory cant recall.

Say hi if you remember anything about the club or me or my brother.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D

Last edited by oldschooldriver; 13-09-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 15-09-2016
Mad Member

Nathan Ralls still races with us at FORCC Duncan.
Old 17-09-2016
Mad Member

Yeah I raced at park wood
Old 17-09-2016

I'm not sure I remember Parkwood Discostu? I do remember now that we moved the club from Allington to West Malling Airfield. My name's Duncan Pole and my brother Andy used to race too.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D

Old 31-03-2017

Default I was there

Duncan

Hi.

This is Paul Owen I was at allington ams also west malling airfield. I was the electric rep for 2 years and have fabulous memories.
Old 04-04-2017
oOple Advertiser

hiya duncan

Nathan Ralls here (younger of the ralls brothers) i remember you and your brother as well as racing at west malling with 10th and 8th many moons ago. how are you guys doing. good to see you are still racing
Old 01-07-2019

Hi Guys

Sorry I’m very late to this party but yes I use to race at the Maidstone club for 2-3 years with my brother Mark Mills.

I originally bought a Hotshot in 1986 and moved to Maidstone in 1987 when I talked my bro into buying a Kyosho Optima Pro so that we could go racing at Maidstone Car club. We started off racing at the Cornwallis school sports hall and then onto Allington, my brother Mark had a Daihatsu Fourtrak so we volunteered to pick up the Race HQ – caravan every Sunday morning and take it to and back from the Race grounds (as it couldn’t be left there during the week).

I had a great time racing there and I soon found out the Hotshot, although a great car was not competitive and so soon bought a PB Maxima, but that proved very unreliable due to the excess of plastic used in it’s construction. I then went on to race with a Yokomo Super Dogfighter YZ870c (one of the first in the country at the time – still have it in my collection an amazing car).

I also remember the move to West Malling Airfield which was a bit of a trek from Maidstone although an okay track and was always very jealous of the 1/8th IC rallycross guys whose cars looked amazing running at full pelt and for such long runtimes.

There were a great bunch of guys there and a golden age of RC cars released at the time which we were racing, such as the various CAT versions, the launch of the Tamiya Avante, PB Maxima, Optima Mid, Yokomo YZ870C etc.

Miss those days and whish I had kept going but I believe the race ground at West Malling was lost when they decided to build Kingshill Business Park.

I’m looking at getting back to club racing at Faversham hopefully soon and still live in Kent in a place called Challock which is about 15mins away.

Russell Mills