Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 13-03-2009

Default dt02ms

Is this any good?
saw one in my local model shop for about ninety quid. is it worth buying and getting some hop ups for it, or is it a bit sh*t?
Its just i love tamiya, and i want a 2wd to race with.
If anyone has had one, what did they think?
Old 13-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmog99 View Post
Is this any good?
saw one in my local model shop for about ninety quid. is it worth buying and getting some hop ups for it, or is it a bit sh*t?
Its just i love tamiya, and i want a 2wd to race with.
If anyone has had one, what did they think?
Well, at £90 it's cheap(ish) and if you love Tamiya then knock yourself out boss, but IMHO it'll get it's arse kicked by a bog stock B4 (probably even a bog stock B4 with a front wheel missing). And when it breaks - which it will - you'll struggle with trackside spares which means stocking up on stuff in advance which is expensive.

The DT02 chassis is better than a lot of other Tamiya stuff but it's still not ideal for racing (unless you're lucky enough to be running solely against other Tamiya's). Then again, I wouldn't take a B4 into the park for a thrash round either, it's horses for courses. If you are limited to £90 you'd be far better off looking for a lightly used B4 or Losi XXX-CR. Racing is great and nothing sucks more than having a car that you have to fight all the time just to get round a lap.

Soz, I'm just being realistic.
Old 13-03-2009

I think i will go for a used B4 then.
There seem to be a lot of versions of the xxx. Are they all basically the same, or were there many changes?
Really want a 2wd.
Old 13-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

As far as XXX's go I think they go XXX, XXX-BK1, XXX-BK2, XXX-CR. The CR was the last version released (about the same time as the B4 I think) so getting on a bit now but it's a nice steady car to drive but compared to a B4 it does lack some steering. Then again, it doesn't bite you like a B4 can. Depends on your style of driving. The B4 will probably be faster round a lap but an equally set up XXX-CR will be easier to drive over a whole race distance. I've got both and each have their pros and cons. I think my Losi sometimes feels slow because it doesn't have snappy handling but on a tight track I often wish it had more turn-in. It also flies poorly (very bum-heavy) but this may be my set up. The B4 is great on tight tracks but on a fast track I spend more time getting it round the corners than I do concentrating on good lines, braking etc but it flies perfectly most of the time without much effort. I freely admit I am not an expert driver but having had experience of both cars I say it as I see it. In all fairness, I've got an X6 now and although I've only run it twice it does appear to be as good as everyone raves about - steady rear end like the Losi, steers like a B4. Thats muddied the water for you a bit. If you are starting out I'd go for the B4, it may be "common" but that will only help you at first - if you develop and branch out then great but the B4 is an excellent platform to start from.
Old 14-03-2009

Was 260 pounds for a bk2 in the local shop!
think i am going to go for an rtr b4 and see how i get on.
thanks for the help
Old 16-03-2009

I have a stock DT-02, and the MS is basically the same, but with all the (official) hop-ups in the box.

It's a good little car, and the non-MS versions (Sand Viper etc) are dirt cheap these days, if you shop around. I only added the ball diff (to provide a bit of slip, since there's no slipper), CVDs and better tyres, and with a decent 17t brushed (31.5k rpm), it goes very well.

I will likely race it, although it's mainly just for fun.
Old 16-03-2009

I had a DT-02MS and traded it as soon as I had built it, anything that has a plastic none adjustable motor mount just doesn't live up to my TRF expectations. However it is a loverly looking buggy with all the nice shiny hop-ups.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Old 17-03-2009

The limited gearing options is a down side, although you can modify the mount fairly easily, and you can get good performance from the stock 17 pinion (I upgraded it to a steel pinion - the kit pinion is a bit crappy). It's not a TRF-spec car though, even in MS form, since the MS is just the standard car + hop ups.

I do really like how it looks though - more so than my Durga, actually, although the Durga is a massively better car