Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-01-2009

Send a message via ICQ to CAClark Send a message via MSN to CAClark
Default Just for absolute clarity :-)

What fitment wheels are compatible with the Durga? So when I look, I know which ones will fit, as they never say "fits Durga", and I would prefer to not buy the wrong ones!

Cheers!
Old 14-01-2009
Mad Member

501x wheels fit the Durga. I think also some Losi wheels fit.
Old 14-01-2009

Default 3rd party wheels & tires for the Durga

I have stuck with the 501X/Durga wheels from Tamiya. I tried Associated B44 wheels once.. The rears fit just fine, but the fronts mount too far in and rub against the ball joints on the uprights (not good).

I also had a dilemma once using aftermarket tires.. I needed ultra-soft tires for the hard/smooth indoor dirt track we were racing on. I tried a set of Pro-Line Hole Shots and discovered that they bulge around the edge of the wheel too much which causes a rubbing problem with the front of the car (it's always the front that seems to be the problem).. Not sure why Tamiya choose to leave so little room between the front wheel and the upright assembly.

I found the solution by using 501X/Durga Tamiya wheels and Panther tires. the Panther tires used flat side walls similar to the Tamiya Tires. The ones I used were T725 Bobcat (front) and T756 Raptor (rear). They also sell T726 Raptor (front) as well. These are all 4WD tires.

Does anyone know of any other 4WD wheels that fit properly and allow the correct clearence for the front steering?
Old 14-01-2009

the front wheel fitment is the standard losi 4wd front, the b44 has a thicker hex at the front so you can't use these wheels without changing the hex's to the ones off the b44.
So what wheels fit, tamiya 501x wheels, xx4, xxx4, (proline variants as well)
if you run schumacher tyres you will need to trim the bead slightly as it is to wide for the wheel

X4TE
X2C
Old 14-01-2009
Administrator

Yokomo BX fit and I assume the pin style Schumacher would fit if you take the hex off.
Old 15-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Yokomo BX fit and I assume the pin style Schumacher would fit if you take the hex off.
Also have to drill out the hole.
Old 15-01-2009

[quote]I have stuck with the 501X/Durga wheels from Tamiya. I tried Associated B44 wheels once.. The rears fit just fine, but the fronts mount too far in and rub against the ball joints on the uprights (not good).[quote]

I had that same problem, I just use tamiya wheels also.
I have a set a proline inside jobs glued to black durga rims,
and losi pink taper pins glued to the included white rims.

I'm pretty sure losi XX4/XXX4 rims fit the 501x. Anyone tried those?
Old 15-01-2009

I've had a full set of Losi wheels on my car, I don't know if they where xx-4 or xxx-4 as I burrowed them from a mate. But I can report they fitted just fine.

Normally I use the black durga wheels, or the white 501x wheels. If you are looking for somewhere that stocks them, I get most of mine from here http://www.brockmodels.com/, or from here http://www.racingfactory.fi/
Old 15-01-2009

the best possible wheels for a 501x/durga are j concept rolux wheels
front b44 rear b4
unlike the ae wheels the j concept ones fit with absolutely no binding. they are a much better quality too with very little flex in the wheel and they do not go out of shape after a large landing.
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 15-01-2009

But the B44 has a differant offset!!!

Are you sure you don't mean the bj4 wheels?

X4TE
X2C
Old 15-01-2009
Administrator

Yep, I run the Rulux wheels myself - defintely the best wheels around.
Old 15-01-2009
Administrator

You can probably space them out with a washer but I run drilled out B44 hexes on my Durga / 501X
Old 15-01-2009

Quote:
You can probably space them out with a washer but I run drilled out B44 hexes on my Durga / 501X
Does it help to stop srtipping the hex in the wheels running that combination??
Old 16-01-2009

Quote:
not needed with standard hexes on a 501. j concept wheels are a direct fit with no binding. also the quality of the hex moulding on the wheel means it will not round out after a couple of runs. infact i have yet to round one out!!!!!!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 16-01-2009

Send a message via ICQ to CAClark Send a message via MSN to CAClark

Ok, so are we saying Rulux wheels will fit directly on a Durga with no messing required?

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4nut View Post
But the B44 has a differant offset!!!

Are you sure you don't mean the bj4 wheels?
There's no such thing as BJ4 wheels. BJ4s used Losi XX-4/XXX-4 wheels up front and B4 wheels on the rear.

I thought the 501x (which the Durga/Baldre is modeled after) was based off a BJ4-ish design in terms of geometry?

If the tires rub due to the side walls, probably can try shimming it ever so slightly. You'll lose a bit of threading on the nut, but if you use a Nylon nut, it might be enough to capture it.

There was a guy named Orange on another forum that modified his DF-03 to use Durga/Baldre axles and I remember him commenting that once that mod was done, he can now use "Losi" rims.

Losi BK2 rims are nearly identical to the B4's (which is what the BJ4 and the B44 uses). In fact, when I used to have a B4, I used Losi rims since the ones from Pro-line are craptacular.

Pro-line tires and plastics leaves more to be desired. Try the JConcept tires, they are wonderful. I hear good things about Panthers as well, going to try those on my 4wd vehicles next (the Raptors)...
Old 02-04-2009

Default JConcepts Rulux wheels - Direct fit for Durga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAClark View Post
Ok, so are we saying Rulux wheels will fit directly on a Durga with no messing required?

Cheers!
Yup, they are direct fit wheels. I use them myself and did not have to modify anything.

As a matter of fact they have a better offset (distance from the hub) than the Tamiya wheels, so they allow you to mount softer tires that bulge around the rim without any risk of them rubbing against anything. That means you can mount ProLine HoleShots or JConcepts Double Dee's etc.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 02-04-2009
Administrator

Not saying you're wrong, but your car or your wheels are very different to all my cars / wheels if you can fit these wheels without modifying anything.

I know Steve said earlier in this thread that his car was standard - but he realised later that no, it isn't. Steve spaced out the hexes to stop the pin falling out so easily - which he forgot about and assumed the car was standard when he came to fit the Rulux wheels.

I'm not saying the binding disappears with some small spacers - but it is a lot less. Personally I found it to still be noticable but acceptable with a 0.5mm spacer behind the hex (about as thick as you can go and still get the pin through)

I'm of course talking about the front B44 fit wheels - the rears ofcourse fit perfectly fine. And I agree - the JConcepts wheels are the best around.

Last edited by jimmy; 02-04-2009 at 07:51 PM.