diffs?
etc

many thanks mike
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Plymouth RC Think You Can Drive 2010 - 3rd Place
Old 12-01-2011
Mad Member

Hi Mike,

Nothing really weak on the car but the front shock tower as always is most likely to break in a crash.

Diffs are great, do not overtighten when new, run for a while and then adjust. When you rebuild replace balls with carbide or ceramic. The plates will be nicely polished and less likely for the harder balls to compress into them.

Battery we mostly use are Team Orion Saddles, Only as we sell them and know they fit but any similar size sadlle will be ok i guess.

Apart from that no option parts needed start with kit settings and enjoy.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 12-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think the first question is which version are you thinking of getting?

As Neil says the front tower is as vunerable as any other car, I remember marshalling at a regional a couple of years back where all the cars in the heat where XX4s except one Lazer and one B44 .... at the end of the heat the only car still circulating was the ZX5 ... all the Losi were sporting the latest 2 piece shock towers

The cars have all been open the box, build and race (except possibly the original ZX5 which did require options to work in the UK). Other than getting some springs to tune the car with (happy to advise when I know which version) I'd say run it as it comes and see what you want from the car. Once we know that, what setup you ran and the model version there are several of us here who would be only too happy to help you tune it in to suit you.
That is the major strength of the Kyosho brand, they can be tuned to suit anybody easily, yes you may need an option part to do that but on the whole they are a one box race car!

As far as cells are concerned if it's on the BRCA list it will go in! I am hoping to get my hands on some Orion packs in the next couple of weeks but haven't found anything (on the BRCA list) that I couldn't get in with anything more radical than a spacer under the posts!

Diffs and slipper .... LOOSE .... far looser than you would any other car. Does it feel wrong to build them like that, yes, does it work on the track hell yeah! Again several of us would be able to advise there but njc11 (Nick 'The Diff' Caro) is the main man

Have you got it yet? What are you waiting for!?!?!
Old 14-01-2011

......so is that a 'yes' then.......
Old 14-01-2011

thanks for the replies guys,

i am thinking of getting the ready set version priced at around £179, i have a fairly low budget as i am not too well off and i will be saving for a couple of months before i can go ahead and get it. i have some 7.4 stick packs not brca but i dont need them to be brca for my local club. i will be putting a 5700kv hobbywing combo in (think its about 5.5t) as i already have it.

i have been looking into getting a 1/10th for a while now as 1/8th is the main class i race, and have been doing my research for a car within my budget that does not look like it will unbuild its self as it hits a bump. from the replies and the youtube vids i have watched the car looks to be a good choice for me.

fingers crossed i will have freed up the funds before the start of the outdoor 10th season

thanks again for all your help

mike
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Old 14-01-2011
Mad Member

Hi Mike,

I would not go down that route!!!
The reasdyset driveshafts wont like a 5.5 brushless.

I think you will be better buying a second hand car. the FS1 is as good as the FS2 and likley to be a good price.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 14-01-2011

is it possible to upgrade the drive shafts? cvd's maybe?
if not what sort of pwer would the rtr version be able to take?

i would really like to get a new car as i have never had a new rc (had them for 3 years, racing for just over 1 year)

thanks again mike
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Old 15-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerobinson83 View Post
is it possible to upgrade the drive shafts? cvd's maybe?
if not what sort of pwer would the rtr version be able to take?

i would really like to get a new car as i have never had a new rc (had them for 3 years, racing for just over 1 year)

thanks again mike

It is possible to upgrade the drive shafts. The problem is the outdrives are plastic. I bought a second hand kit ZX-5 and used the steel outdrives and also the shocks. But by the time you have got the RTR and a donor car it has already got pretty expensive and you would have been better off getting a second hand FS as has been suggested.

If you really want a cheapish new car that 2.4ghz B4.1 might be a better bet but thats 2wd??
Old 15-01-2011

thats the problem, i dont want a cheep car, i want a car that is from a "good" brand with good support and is not going to fall to bits (my local track is a bit of a car killer)

if the outdrives are a weaker point on the car i will have to look for another or up my budget a bit

thanks for the help and advise guys
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Old 17-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The ZX5-RTR is a good club race car when used with a mild motor (I'd not go hotter than a 13.5 to be honest). Add up the cost of the upgrades and you quickly get to the price of the top level car but still not the performance or reliability level.

I'm not saying don't get the ZX5-RTR, just that you need to remember it is aimed the casual club racer and those wanting a good handling "play" car.

If you have been running RC cars for a while surely you have some radio gear (as well as the speedo / motor you mentioned) that you could throw at a higher spec car?

The original FS is a great car, in terms of ease to drive a little better than the FS2 for all but the fastest guys who will be able to make use of the FS2's agility, which in turn would probably catch out the less experienced driver. FS kits can be had for a very reasonable price too.

Worth saving the little bit extra, my FS ran faultlessly for about 2 years with minimal maintanace and very very few breakages .... will almost certainly save you the extra twice over in the long run!
Old 17-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerobinson83 View Post
thats the problem, i dont want a cheep car, i want a car that is from a "good" brand with good support and is not going to fall to bits (my local track is a bit of a car killer)

if the outdrives are a weaker point on the car i will have to look for another or up my budget a bit

thanks for the help and advise guys

Mike the RTR is designed at guys who are not likely to be capable of running a 5.5 motor. its cheap and great as an entry car but as it is out the box with a not too fast stock motor.
A 5.5 motor is balistic quick and too hot for many club drivers.
If you want a car that can do 60mph plus and you have the skill to drive it you better get a competiton chassis like the FS. So if you are on a budget look at second hand or even 2wd as a bit cheaper but then no more than a 6.5 or better a 7.5 motor.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com