Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Gaming Chat

Old 26-02-2014
Administrator

I think this game might happen.
Old 26-02-2014
Mad Member

Anyone remember skidmarks on the amiga ?

Remake that Jimmy
Old 26-02-2014

Yep, an RC-adapted, cherry-picked amalgam of Super Skidmarks, Micro Machines and Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road (with multiplayer if possible) would be simple, addictive and fun. Leave out silly power ups, xp points and all that cack so it's simple to just pick up, join a game and race - whether that's a 5 min blast or an afternoon session.
Old 26-02-2014
Administrator

Thanks again guys!
Old 26-02-2014
Gypsy Member

motorstorm rc was ok and quite playable but seemed to missing something
think a realer version of that that felt bigger an more flowing would work
maybe using uk tracks ........
hope you make it
i will be buying it

and on a slightly differant topic could a rasberry pi be programed and linked with a reciever and used as an interface for pc games so you could use your own controller
Old 28-02-2014
Administrator

Ok - gameplay wise what would people like to see in:

Single player - offline. What sort of game style(s) would you like to see. If we aim for this to be mainly a multiplayer game then I think we still need single player mode. Quick jump in a game against AI? Race against the fastest times (laid down by us in testing) to get gold/silver/bronze or naff all on a particular track?

For multiplayer we thought the following:

Quick game - simple, go into a lobby and wait for X number of cars to enter - as soon as the minimum number are in someone could initiate the race or perhaps once people enter there's a 2 minute countdown to allow others to join? or....?

Achievement game - playing the game single player to put in fast times on a certain track would pit you against similarly fast people of your own level to battle it out for the win.
non-upgrade achievements and awards that show how damn fine you are could be awarded so anyone can see how many races you've won, milestones etc.

Car upgrades - no idea how to implement these. I mean you could win new cars / unlock them - but there wouldn't be any difference in handling or speed at all. Is this enough?

Starcraft - the best game out there ever - you play and you win consistently and you go up divisions such as diamond league. You never ever have an advantage - you have awards but in starcraft it's only ever skill that counts. You can drop divisions by either not playing for a while or doing badly / others doing better than you.

Classes - I think it's stupid to race different types of car against each other - saying that something akin to a Rough Rider would be the same pace as something super modern looking. But I mean - 2WD, 4WD, ep buggy - what other classes would people want. SC? 8th buggy?

Some racing games you don't have collision with other cars but i think this should - so you crash into someone there needs to be a penalty. It could be 50-50 both drivers mistake, or some other percent all the way to 100% one driver being a mentalist.
Perhaps it would be best to try keep collision detection to an unrealisticly small box so it's only when cars REALLY mix it up they pay the price. Either in lost momentum or lost time from marshalling.

Just so it's clear - we have 2 artists, 1 programmer and 1 more wanting to join plus a third wanting to help. We have a sound designer and 2 musicians to use. The most important thing for me is the feel of the car - I think it needs to be slower than realistic RC speed to be controlable but not too slow. It needs good physics and realistic air-time control. You should be able to drive into a corner hard and lock up the brakes for a tight line or throw it in sideways for a drift round - both need to feel right.

A game where you can drive an rc round just practicing the track and enjoying the feel of how it drives would be the ultimate goal. Then being able to race that car against others = winner of a game.

We discussed indoor/outdoor environments. I think something we don't want to do is have people in the game as it would be a much bigger job -I mean you get magic marshalled and there's no crowd round the edge of the track. But I'm sure our sound engineer can create some good mood cheering / ooohing & booing etc..... And then lastly there's commentary which would be nice to add - we'd need to do that last though - come up with every possible phrase or word that could possibly be used and get it recorded and edited by the sound designer.

Possibly in multiplayer each racer could hear their own commentary or the overall commentary about the leaders etc.

Track wise I think it best we make blank tracks and standard jumps that we can use to test layouts. I want a downslope to mean something - and a chassis-slapper to lose you a little drive.

More thoughts are welcome about oOple RC racing (no, we won't call it that haha)
Old 28-02-2014

Vrc but on a console sorted
Old 28-02-2014

Default Motorstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygibbon View Post
hope you make it
i will be buying it

and on a slightly differant topic could a rasberry pi be programed and linked with a reciever and used as an interface for pc games so you could use your own controller
I like Motorstorm RC... Its not to kiddy but the tracks are pants.
A bit more realism ( handling and proper tracks ) race formats etc etc would be good

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 28-02-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee24h View Post
Vrc but on a console sorted
Think that's something for VRC guys to make

We will develop on PC for PC - other platforms could come later if we have funds to do it.
Old 01-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygibbon View Post
hope you make it
i will be buying it

It could, but it would be easier buying a usb adaptor that the receiver plugs into. £5 on eBay
Old 01-03-2014
Gypsy Member

how about something like the motox or quad racing games where you follow the bike or buggy but it has the same flowing feel and big jumps
i think online racing is a good way to expand the game to more people its real competition
and indoor and outdoor tracks with set up options like dirt,or colin mcrae games
Old 01-03-2014

What about incorporating some sort of track builder / editor? So you could build your favorite club track or maybe even become a tool where people will design and race / test in the game and then go and build it for real at their club. Track builder / editor would be for everyone, the design / test / build would be for us racers / club types as a by product..

A ghost car of your fastest lap might be good too for a practice mode..
Old 22-03-2014

hey,

A track builder / editor would certainly be something that we can look into. I know the game 'Chivalry: Medieval Warfare' released their mod tools earlier this year i think. they also based their game on Unreal3. So it can be done

Also we would be looking into ways to allow you guys to paint up your own cars. There's nothing quite like wearing your own tags while stealing fastest lap.

Any more info from the community would be greatly appreciated at this time while we are bouncing around ideas for this project. If it comes to anything we'll be sure to keep you guys involved and suck you dry of all your ideas
Old 22-03-2014

Only one coder seems quite few for developing a complete game in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 30-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450kid View Post
You should design a adaptor to able to use your transmitter with grandturismo! That would be mega.
You can
Old 05-05-2014

This is sounding pretty cool Jimmy

I'm all for 'easy of use'. A lot of the current RC games do not migrate to keyboard/mouse very well so that and handling would be the big areas of getting right for me.

Apart from hitting the handling etc I'd love a spectator mode within the multi-player side of the product.

K

ANVIL-GFX
Old 05-08-2014

I think that you should get real manufacturers and also in the career mode you should climb the ladder to the worlds and pick up sponsorship deals from different companies and use money made from races to customise your cars livery like custom stickers etc
And also you should do scenario mode races from previous world championships e.g racing against masami hirosaka at the top of the scenario ladder
Old 22-12-2016

ReVolt is an awesome RC game, give it a try
Old 22-12-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG View Post
ReVolt is an awesome RC game, give it a try
Yup, first it came out for the consol then someone cracked the coding and put onto pc so revolts great plus there are at least a thousand tracks and cars out online plus you can build your own. Then if you can get toy master then thats also pretty cool also.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 22-11-2017

My husband used to like Motorstorm RC and Revolt.