Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler > UK Short Course Nationals

Old 14-09-2015

Default SCT Future

Sorry to be a doom sayer , but where do we stand ? SCT seems to be losing ground and a great class would be lost. i am a late comer to the class, and maybe i missed the peak , but i see a viable and fun class that is head and shoulders above buggys in the fact they are fun and handle like dogs .
In the US they thrive and i hope to race next year in Texas , but uk it is dwindling? How can we get bashers to race and keep the momentum ? We all probably own other classes should we bring the SCT to other races for a final blast at tea time ? i got into this for fun as teen , SCT looks to hold the spirit ? Your thoughts please to how we keep the dream alive ?
Old 14-09-2015

Handle like dogs??? The modern 2wd's are all based on stretched and widened versions of the current w2wd buggies, the newer 4wd's are 1/8 e buggies tweaked to suit the class specs. Ok so maybe not as nimble as a buggy but hardly 'dog' like!
As for the future, try getting clubs to support the class........most won't but some great ones do but the trouble is there's no glamour over here like in the states
Old 14-09-2015

Default Sct

I don't believe its loosening popularity dude people come and go that's the nature of the class..
We've always had a steady turnout of numbers, and I believe if anything things are looking promising.
Old 15-09-2015

I think the problem, at least from what I have seen is you don't know what you want the racing to be like.

A lot has been said about the fun and relaxed racing. Well from the two races I have been at it has been nothing like that with more drama and infighting than I have ever seen at a buggy race from club all the way up to national.

I am not a buggy A finalist by any means except at club level but have raced at regional and National buggy races and know how to get round the track and avoid collisions on a race track. Except it would appear at an SCT race, in all the 6 finals I have been in every single one I have ended up last by the second corner due to take outs by a ridiculously bunched up grid and the bumper car nature of racing. I am sure it is me being cautious or something as I don't like hitting other cars/trucks but it is really getting me down. I enjoyed the qualifying and did around what I would expect to do but left both race events with a really negative feeling about the racing.

If you want competitive racing then folks need to treat it as such with refs not just for the A final and penalties for takeouts or at least a change of style.

I race SCT at a local track for fun with no prizes or championships and the way I feel currently I think that is where I will limit it to and leave the proper racing to buggies.
Old 15-09-2015
Mad Member

I enjoyed sunday. Made the A final with my ancient Ansmann C.O.R.E truck which is really showing it's age against the more modern Short course trucks. I thought it was a good turnout to.

The 2wd A finals were not too bad for me anyways. Bit of boring and bashing but I didn't receive any major takeouts personally. Our referee was the politest ref in the world to.

But I had a good day, playing with trucks surrounded by my mates having a good laugh. Now tempted to get myself a SC5M as they looked really good on sunday and do next years series!

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 16-09-2015

The nationals are getting dirtier every race, and rivalries have formed, I had to take a step back and re evaluate why I was doing it as I had started to not enjoy it after Mendip. I was trying too hard for the win, as were others and it was taking the fun away.

At A1 I went with a different attitude to winning and was there for fun and enjoyed my racing again (after I fixed it several times) But when you do get blatantly hacked its fairly normal to want to give them a little smack back as a thank you.

I have said it before time and again, the rules for buggy racing just cannot be applied to short course, and why should they be, after all they are not buggies.

Why cant we sample different strategies at a practice meet to work out what can work with for the class. For example, rolling starts? Side by side starts. extra for finals over qualifying.

I have never liked the points for quali as personally im better at driving when we all go together, ya know like a RACE!

Its not a BRCA class and as such does not need to be ran to any hard set of rules so why not tweak them?

Its already open for bashers as there is no control tyre? All they need is a Transponder and enough batteries to get them through the day.

Maybe replace the vintage buggy class which had no entries with a different class? (examples, RTR -CUP any bone stock RTR trucks can enter - 3s Lipo class? 8th Buggy class? 10th buggy class? 8th superlight class?? RALLY CARS)

There are many many options available to make it more enjoyable.
Old 16-09-2015

By calling it "National" means its a bit more serious than a club meeting... and maybe going from basher, to a so called National is part of the problem
why not (as sw region have done this year) run regional truck events on the 4wd sundays from the local clubs as a stepping stone to the nationals.., as above I think sct is a great class and is gaining popularity, and can be great fun to drive
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 16-09-2015

Good to see some positivity. Great comments about tweaking the rules and opening up to more racers/bashers . I like the rolling start idea like Nascar ha ha. Q times i think will always suit some drivers over others and as i have yet to compete in the current format have no comment . Looking forward to Iceman over winter and a winter shakedown. Roll on Next years nationals .
Old 16-09-2015

what Justin said!

We are still a young and developing class both in the manufacturers development of the trucks and how race them.

Don't forget the especially with the 4wd trucks we are hustling basically 1/8th Rallycross buggies (in weight and size) around 1/10th scale high grip tracks. Again a modern 4wd truck is very different to one that is a couple of years old.

As race director on Sunday I spent a lot of time watching the racing very, very closely. And while there was a few instances of "red mist in short trousers" most of the incidents where caused by accidents collecting other drivers on the way past.

Closed wheel racing tends to lead drivers to take a few more risks than they would with a buggy, especially going for that gap that quite frankly isn't there!

BUT this thread shouldn't be allowed to turn into a thread about bad driving, rivalries and driving etiquette. There are all extremely important don't get me wrong but they exist in ALL classes of RC racing and full size motorsport.

We now need to adjust the rules/series/racing to accommodate the class to attract even more drivers and get the buggy drivers to take it as seriously as we do .
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dombrasky View Post
By calling it "National" means its a bit more serious than a club meeting... and maybe going from basher, to a so called National is part of the problem
why not (as sw region have done this year) run regional truck events on the 4wd sundays from the local clubs as a stepping stone to the nationals.., as above I think sct is a great class and is gaining popularity, and can be great fun to drive
The National title you are referring too as being more serious is obviously an inherited opinion from Buggy racing; which this is not as I mentioned. Its called the nationals because we race in different regions, there are some that take it very very seriously and most of the other not so. I was the former and since converted to the latter, much like a travelling club as opposed to a full blown BRCA "National" event?

After racing on Tuesday night at Silverstone properly with a 2wd buggy I can honestly say the standard of driving in A and B finals at truck nationals is better, I got smashed into way more than I ever have at any truck event. In trucks as was said, most incidents are caused by collecting other crashed cars which is inevitable when we are normally twice the size of the cars the tracks were intended for?

We need to work on changing the attitudes of the "sheeple" so that they understand Short Course for what it is and not see it as a "support class" or second rate to buggies.

Trucks are so different to buggies to the point where the similarities end with the fact they are both Radio Controlled vehicles. They way you drive them, the way you set them up are all different, so why shouldn't the events be ran to a different format to accommodate this?
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingt5 View Post
The nationals are getting dirtier every race,
I've found that the SC nationals are pretty dirty, someone bumps you and you try and keep calm and think it's just racing, but when you do it back they play hell. Maybe if I qualified higher it might be different
Old 17-09-2015
Mad Member

Over the years I have watched many a SC race, heat and on Sunday actually participated in one.
The driving standards are terrible, now in a class where people are new to the sport I can understand this, but even at the top of each class it was pretty poor.
The main problem is that people look at SC as rubbing is racing, this doesn't mean use people as your breaks, or to get around a corner.

The idea of having referee's is a good one and should be used to implement driving standards.
With regards to setting them up, they have four wheels and shocks... To say they are different to setup or drive is a load of tosh. Like every form of Motorsport you have to adapt. The body acts as a parachute so you don't jump as far, the cars have a high roll centre due to the wheels, weight is up high so you respect the corners more.
It's still driving an RC car....

The method you have has the basis to be a good series, install driver etiquette and you will have some close enjoyable racing for the future.
Old 17-09-2015

not at all "an inherited opinion from buggy class" my point being once you run a national series by its nature it becomes more serious,Ive raced 12th,10th on and off-road and micro nationals and they are very serious about rules and driving standards
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 17-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingt5 View Post

Maybe replace the vintage buggy class which had no entries with a different class? (examples, RTR -CUP any bone stock RTR trucks can enter - 3s Lipo class? 8th Buggy class? 10th buggy class? 8th superlight class?? RALLY CARS)

There are many many options available to make it more enjoyable.
I doubt we'd get the truck back in the mid east regionals, as they was already dwindling down in the previous year. Also they would have to follow brca electrics rules, that why vintage was low in attendance.

Trucks do seem more fun and I'm tempted but would mean racing at a different club.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodd View Post
I doubt we'd get the truck back in the mid east regionals, as they was already dwindling down in the previous year. Also they would have to follow brca electrics rules, that why vintage was low in attendance.

Trucks do seem more fun and I'm tempted but would mean racing at a different club.

My club are stopping trucks but I am not stopping the nationals as from now on its the only time I will get to use the kit Ive spent a fair few quid in acquiring.

Spenner, regarding the setup and driving I never meant quite as literally as you took it LOL. Your right though you do have to respect the corners more due to the high COG which is what makes it different as its this that I was eluding too.

Referees are great in theory but only if they actually do anything about the incidents on track, if nothing happens there's no point having them?

Most of the truck drivers are not buggy drivers (some are I know) but it does appear its those with experience in 2wd buggies that feel the standards are awful more so than the less experienced truck only drivers of which there are many. I agree the standards could be better but this will only come with enforcement of rules, penalties for hacking and experience of racing close up; one of the reasons I said about doing more races and less quali - this could help as everyone will get more time wheel to wheel which means you get to know who your racing (style wise). Also if the points in these races count towards round total then drivers would be more inclined to go easy. "IMO"
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post

The method you have has the basis to be a good series, install driver etiquette and you will have some close enjoyable racing for the future.
This is at the crux of it all, totally agree.

To be clear, I did not consider myself ever taken out vindictively unlike a couple of others that day. I was just a repeated victim of 10 high speed 4WD arriving at the same corner at the same time. We really need a bigger separation on the grid and as Spenner mentioned a generally greater awareness of other trucks around. A bit of side to side rubbing is fine as it does not take anyone out but barreling into someone as they brake in front of you is pretty rude and if it happens you should stop and wait for them to be marshaled. Treat others as you would be treated yourself. As was mentioned by Legend Racer (great name btw) the temptation is to do the same in revenge and possibly to someone else, that way lies a crash fest with no credibility as a national race series.
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
This is at the crux of it all, totally agree.

To be clear, I did not consider myself ever taken out vindictively unlike a couple of others that day. I was just a repeated victim of 10 high speed 4WD arriving at the same corner at the same time. We really need a bigger separation on the grid and as Spenner mentioned a generally greater awareness of other trucks around. A bit of side to side rubbing is fine as it does not take anyone out but barreling into someone as they brake in front of you is pretty rude and if it happens you should stop and wait for them to be marshaled. Treat others as you would be treated yourself. As was mentioned by Legend Racer (great name btw) the temptation is to do the same in revenge and possibly to someone else, that way lies a crash fest with no credibility as a national race series.
Agreed, your right about the credibility aspect, although I am not sure if the organisers intended it to have credibility as a "nationals" series, as it has always been billed as a fun series that just happens to be sort national geographically; maybe its this aspect which makes people fight harder than they would at club level and is leading to a lot more crashing action as a result.

I did the oOple invernational for the first time this year and it was awesome, as right from the word go it was all about the fun, this took the edge off and made it much much more "fun". Could we learn something from this perhaps. Is the series in its current form having a bit of an identity crisis?
Old 17-09-2015

I've never raced SC trucks myself, but I've always been interested in the class and I do enjoy watching full scale short course.

From just what I've seen, I don't think it's getting any weaker - rather the hype from the initial boom (when every manufacturer, RTR or race kits, stuck some bumpers on their stadium truck chassis and chucked one on sale) has tapered off slightly. Once a smaller manufacturer realises they aren't shifting a sufficient amount of units, of course they'll eventually discontinue the car. It's survival of the fittest, just like any category - the cars with the most R&D, factory support and manufacturer pedigree will be the ones that shift the most units. The grids might look less diverse, but it's not completely unexpected in my eyes.

Regarding driving standards, I've only seen it and never experienced it - but it's no different to how it is in real life. Deliberate take-outs are highly questionable, but normal short course racing does go beyond a bit of a rub here and there. That's not to say the scale variant should mimic reality all the time - if a vast majority of drivers make their voices heard, basic contact rules can be enforced at each club, or nationally.
Old 17-09-2015
oOple Advertiser

To be fair the racing standards at this years events in general have been no worse than any other year I have seen them or raced in them, although when someone at the top of the tree deliberately hangs back for a whole lap to then wipe you out (twice) and has a race buddy also deliberately t-bone you while being lapped also AND then rams you off the track AFTER the race has finished, then that gets very questionable indeed, especially from a guy who "had" a lot of respect from the admiring racers who watch the A finals from the sidelines over the years, but, thankfully that is just one sorry individual and that does not tar everyone with the same reputation....

Some of the racing this season has been epic and as close as any class could ever ask for, yes a little rubbing here and there, but that is accepted in SC as part of the class.

I agree with the comments above that it is the "national" series, not because it is geographically spread but because it is the highest level of this type of racing in the UK, those looking for something less hardcore should look towards regional or club racing (if it exists in their area) or dare I say, bashing. If you are preparred to tour the country to race against the best the country can offer in that class, then like it or not you are racing in a series that has a certain degree of serious competition. If you can add fun into that mix too then you are on to a huge winner.

I have been taken out countless times this season myself, some on purpose, some by complete accident, some by friends or even team mates and others by total strangers, I have even caused a few myself no doubt too, but overall it has not taken away the enjoyment of the overall season (until they start to become more blatant and occurring almost every run - but one idiot cannot ruin a whole season). I do hope we have some dummies and a pram full of toys for the end of season raffle at Silverstone, they with go well with the other prizes......
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
To be fair the racing standards at this years events in general have been no worse than any other year...
This is my first, and maybe my last year. I've only managed two events and to be honest my heart just isn't in it any more, due really to the driving standards. I've been racing on and off since late '89 and the standard of driving I have come across is among the worst in all those years that I've encountered. EVERY corner when some one is is coming up to you, they just can't wait, "sod using the electronic brake I'll use the truck in front, it's a lot easier" is their attitude. From what I've seen, the drivers these days have no patience at all and WILL NOT wait for you to move to one side and will move you them selves. Now I'm not a mardy driver by any means and I can take and give lot of rubbing and stuff but what I've come across this year is really beyond belief and goes far beyond rubbing.