Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 03-11-2009

Default Lazer ZX-5 upgrade help

Hi all,

I've got the RTR version of the ZX-5, so far this is what I've done.

4.5t brushless motor & ETC (it's not running anywhere near it's max because I can't handle it)
2.4Ghz radio gear
New wheels, tyres and foam inserts
I'm put some traxxax shocks on because the originals leaked
I've had to replace the plastic bars on the front of the car with alloy ones as the originals broke (suspension holders?)
A new shell? It's not the bullet style one and I can't even remember where I got it from

Anyway, obviously I know that many of the parts on the car probably won't last very long, so what I would like to do is plan to upgrade the car gradually, but I know some parts are very much dependent on other parts before they can be fitted.

Next on my list is to replace the plastic CV's? with metal ones (front and rear), and I'm just wondering what parts I need to completely fit these? Do I need new wishbones and driveshafts? Hubs? Wheels? Is this what I should be doing next, or is there another upgrade you would say would be more important?

I'd just like to know what to buy to complete the job, especially when some parts take 2 weeks to be delivered, I don't want to get the parts delivered and wait 2 weeks for me to realise I need another part.

Does anyway have a kind of upgrade path? i.e. what you'd replace first (and part numbers), so I could upgrade in stages?

and before anyone mentions, yes long term I might have been better off buying the FS kit rather than the RTR, but at least this way I get to work on the car bit by bit.
Old 03-11-2009
Mad Member

Definately change the driveshafts.

As long as you get the complete CVD set you won't need anything else to change them, it should be a direct fit in replacement of the dogbone and zheel axle.

4.5T is a little bit mental in a buggy, I'd suggest trying something slower like a 6.5.
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Definately change the driveshafts.

As long as you get the complete CVD set you won't need anything else to change them, it should be a direct fit in replacement of the dogbone and zheel axle.

4.5T is a little bit mental in a buggy, I'd suggest trying something slower like a 6.5.
Thanks, don't suppose you know the part number for the complete CVD set do you?

Although the motor is 4.5t I've got it restricted via the radio gear I'm using to a speed which I'm comfortable with.
Old 03-11-2009
Mad Member

A 4.5 is silly fast and near completely useless in a 4wd buggy, especially a Lazer RTR. Even if you're limiting it via the transmitter it won't be helping your driving any. You'd probaby be a lot more comfortable driving something like a 7.5.

Your best bet would be to keep your eyes out for a decent second-hand Lazer and break it up for parts. Would probably be a fair bit cheaper than upgrading your RTR Lazer.
Old 03-11-2009

So would you recommend buying something like this?

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=kyosho

I was thinking of buying all of the bits to convert to an SP, but it would be just as expensive as buying another car. Although I like the idea of everything being new.
Old 03-11-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to jono83

That is a good buy.
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono83 View Post
That is a good buy.
I had to have a quick check there just to make sure you were not the seller

I'm trying to source a price for every part needed to convert to the SP, then I'll weigh up the best option. My problem is I bought the RTR on a budget, have spent loads on it replacing the electrics etc. If I buy another car I have to hide it from the wife....she'd go nuts, where as if I buy all the parts, it's much easier to get away with.

Women eh!
Old 03-11-2009

buy a new kit and ask the shop to get rid of the box and post all parts int their bags

www.autopartner.se
www.sommarcupen.se
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkan View Post
buy a new kit and ask the shop to get rid of the box and post all parts int their bags
can't really afford a whole new kit to be honest, especially not at £290
Old 04-11-2009

I found an unbuilt SP on ebay US for £140 + delivery, but the guy doesn't want to post it abroad...what a bummer, would have been perfect.
Old 04-11-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

But expensive
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
But expensive
£140 expensive for a brand new unbuilt sp?

Looking elsewhere I'm looking at £300 for the kit.
Old 04-11-2009

ok, I've had a look around and put together a list of things I need to do to the RTR to more or less make is an SP, apart from the chassis which I'll change later to a carbon fibre one. I've not planned to replace the shocks, as I've already replaced them.

W5201 x1 - Front wheels
LA254 x 1 - Steering knuckles
LA255 x 1 - Front & rear A-arms (full set)
LA252 x 1 - Rear hub
LA257 x 1 - Front universals (these seem expensive at £30)
LA258 x 1 - Rear universals (again, £30)
LA256 x 1 - King pin
UM129 x 1 - 4.8mm ball shaft
W5194-01 x 2 - Plastic shock parts
1368 x 1 - Hex screws
1378 x 1 - Hex screws

The above seems to be what I need to sort out the suspension area, apart from the shocks.

I'd also like to replace the plastic shafts on the car to the metal ones, I'm not 100% certain what parts I need for this, but from comparing the diagrams I think I need the following;

LA201 x 2 - Steel differential shaft set
WBD04 x 2 - Pressure plate set
LA223 x 2 - One way shaft
96647 x 2 - Shim set
BRG014TS x 2 - Teflon bearing

Can anyone confirm if I'm missing anything.

Also, where's the best place to buy all of this?
Old 04-11-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to jono83

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlened View Post
I had to have a quick check there just to make sure you were not the seller

I'm trying to source a price for every part needed to convert to the SP, then I'll weigh up the best option. My problem is I bought the RTR on a budget, have spent loads on it replacing the electrics etc. If I buy another car I have to hide it from the wife....she'd go nuts, where as if I buy all the parts, it's much easier to get away with.

Women eh!
just get all the shells painted the same colour my misses cant tell the difference between them then lol
Old 04-11-2009
Awesome Admin

edit.
Old 04-11-2009
Awesome Admin

I converted mine from an original zx5. Your parts list sems right to me. Cost was about £100 without the shocks if I remember right.
In hindsight I would have bought a secondhand one.
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
I converted mine from an original zx5. Your parts list sems right to me. Cost was about £100 without the shocks if I remember right.
In hindsight I would have bought a secondhand one.
I've considered buying a used SP, there's on on here for sales that's a standard ZX converted to the SP for £130. It seems a good deal, the only thing putting me if is the wear and tear on a used one. I bought used a long time ago and found myself replacing bearings and other worn things left right and centre.

The one I found on ebay US would have been ideal, brand spanking new, but like I say, the guy won't send it abroad.
Old 04-11-2009
Awesome Admin

Wouldn't worry too much about that. Mine is an original converted and some of it is 5 years old now without any problems.
Old 04-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My advice would be to save up, enjoy the car you have and when you get the cash together get an FS.

Just keep in mind the FS will need saddle pack cells if your buying any (you can always tape them together to form a stick for use in your current car).

The FS is practically a new car, it shares very little with the original ZX5 and performs more consistently than either that or the SP.

As Neil has stated on another thread the ZX5-FS is a true 1 box purchase, even the springs are usable (although not optimum) for the UK. Now they have the price down to sub £300 again I think that is something to consider!
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
My advice would be to save up, enjoy the car you have and when you get the cash together get an FS.

Just keep in mind the FS will need saddle pack cells if your buying any (you can always tape them together to form a stick for use in your current car).

The FS is practically a new car, it shares very little with the original ZX5 and performs more consistently than either that or the SP.

As Neil has stated on another thread the ZX5-FS is a true 1 box purchase, even the springs are usable (although not optimum) for the UK. Now they have the price down to sub £300 again I think that is something to consider!
Yeh, I've been looking at the FS, and for the sake of simplicity I have thought of just buying the FS and selling what I have as spares to someone. I could probably convert my batteries to fit the FS as well, just a case of getting some battery bars.