Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 30-04-2016
Mad Member

Blocked at my work too works fine on my android phone tho
Old 30-04-2016

Talking

I dis-like facebook as YOU are the product that they sell...

I also don't use my real name ...

Personally I would encourage people to change their DOB and use any old 'user name' instead.

Facebook thinks I am 101 years old ..
Old 03-05-2016

This is really tricky.

As a club we were literally nothing 2 years ago, 3 blokes who wanted somewhere local to race. 2 years on we have one of the largest non-permanent indoor tracks in the UK, brand new AMB timing, and 30 regular racers...welcomed 65 to an all day meeting in the winter. And the ONLY way we could grow that fast was via Facebook.

Now I personally can't stand FB, far too busy, too much crap from far too many people and adverts/constant data being sold. Aside from the club page, I recently HAD to go on FB as I needed a page for work...but created the profile that 'owns' that page as my name in Latvian ; )

But the fact is that as a club we've flown via FB. Found all the old guys who used to race via it, widened our network across SE via it, advertise our races via it. It's a great tool. My main tip would be use an OPEN PROFILE for the page, meaning NON MEMBERS of Facebook can view the page.

I love twitter...use it far more for work, but it's not as effective as FB for growing a club, so we've focused on FB...AND...

Don't forget OOPLE!

Jimmy bless him very kindly set us up a club section when we were a 'nothing', which I use to post details of improvements to the club, big meetings and racing calendars etc. Its great as it doesn't have any clutter, it's specifically about the club, and it doesn't disappear down a page of constant FB drivel.

This is also the first place we send our 'newbies,' either to look for second hand gear or to ask questions of the wider community, and to generally learn by reading an amazing back catalogue of 'threads.' As with our club section, technical stuff/answers on here are far more searchable and long terms than on FB.

If you want to grow the sport you have to engage in social media, and again via work I know there are two types...FB and everybody else. It's a giant, and even though I'm not a fan I'm happy to exploit it to gain a few more racers.

The club by the way is 1066 Racing in Hastings, Sussex. Hosting our first BRCA regional next weekend, very proud! : )

LINKS:

http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233
https://www.facebook.com/1066racing/
Old 07-05-2016

Question

how do you use Twitter for work, without giving the game away?

Does your 'work' pay Twitter?
Old 08-05-2016

making oople smartphone friendly will help attract back people.
Old 09-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
making oople smartphone friendly will help attract back people.
Oople is smart phone friendly. I've managed to post this message no problem on my smartphone

If it goes on to tapa talk, I will hands down stop using it ever again. Tapa talk is bollocks and I'm sure many many people agree with me.

I know of 2 forums for real sized cars which actually shut down due to loss of users because of tapa talk, plus there is another forum I use for motorsport which switched and then within a month got rid of it

Last edited by Karting; 09-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2016
Mad Member

Going to a smartphone friendly format is good, if done well. And given the option to use the proper site. (My eyesight isn't that bad.)

Getting to the proper site on one forum i used to use was such a pain i just stopped using it (30 seconds of scrolling to find the button). And browsing on their "mobile friendly" page was horrendous, tapatalk was worse.
Old 09-05-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karting View Post
Oople is smart phone friendly. I've managed to post this message no problem on my smartphone

If it goes on to tapa talk, I will hands down stop using it ever again. Tapa talk is bollocks and I'm sure many many people agree with me.

I know of 2 forums for real sized cars which actually shut down due to loss of users because of tapa talk, plus there is another forum I use for motorsport which switched and then within a month got rid of it
pretty sure you can just say no when the tapa talk option pops up, but i agree, i don't like tapa talk either
Old 09-05-2016

Warrington Raceway is Oople friendly as of last week, all updates and news will be posted here as well as FB
Old 09-05-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Oople works fine on my android devices,phones, tablets etc.

Unfortunately there is a virus called oople, Google oople virus, and take a peak, one reason why many companies have It blocked.
Old 12-05-2016

Re the question about Twitter for work; I work in TV, covering motorsport, follow tons of drivers, teams, engineers etc. Twitter is without a shadow of a doubt the fastest least cluttered place for accurate news or sport...but it just doesn't have the 'reach' of FB for something like RC cars. So when I say I use it for work, it's a brilliant research/news tool, not a way to earn money.

Unless you have millions of followers and get asked to tweet about sunglasses etc. I don't! : )