Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 04-05-2013

Default Confused about shock pistons. DEX210

Hello. Im looking at setups and have a very similar shock set up to this http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...we20111113.pdf which is almost the same as every other one ive found for the style of track. Problem is that on those set-ups they tend to run 3x1.6mm holes on there pistons. And I use 6x1.2mm which is considerably softer, but I still have one of the local clubs stiffest suspension set-ups. So just double checking i'm reading that correctly? I'm in two minds about changing my set up going the opposite to everyone else. What would you do? Thansk
Old 04-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well a wise man once told me just to try it.. It's not too difficult to swap out pistons.

If you are only testing and you are going to try different oil and maybe swap back you don't have to throw that away.

Or if there is another 210/410 there see if you could borrow their shocks and drive a few laps and see what you think.. maybe that's the easiest

Also you don't have to follow the heard, you use what you think feels right for YOU and YOUR driving.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny the elfman View Post
I still have one of the local clubs stiffest suspension set-ups
Stiffness of suspension is really dictated by the springs, not the pistons, I've found.

Pistons really only affect the way "impacts" on the suspension system by bumps and landings etc. are handled (in conjunction with the thickness of oil in them).

When the car is rolling into corners, then this slower movement is looked after by the springs. These tend to give the cars suspension it's stiffness/softness.

Your current set-up will allow the car a quicker (and possibly more) downward travel on landings and quicker upward/downward travel over bumps than the other ones you've seen (if the springs were the same on both set-ups).

Therefore piston setting are really dependant on the bumps and jumps of each track, rather than grip levels.

Like OneKiwi says, and as I have learnt in my early months of running RC cars, try the different options if you can and see what you feel more comfortable on. I prefer running a higher ride hieght than most at my club and have been quicker since the change, so following the heard isn't always best for you.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 04-05-2013
Mad Member

what oils are you running compared to the setup your looking at?
maybe softer spings and oils will be the smoothing factor

I think that for any track surface a good starting point for spings is dark red front light green rear

with 30wt oil front and 27.5 rear