Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 15-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
How very apt! And i agree, I wont be told to move on, or be censored by any fanboy, its just interesting, and a little bit odd they chose this route and pricepoint, a £600 2wd buggy, times they are a changin' a great poet once said lol!

Lee
I won't be censored or moved on either, it's open discussion, and I'll talk about anything I'm interested in discussing.

I actually couldn't care less about the price, I'll afford what I want, and choose to give my money to whomever I want. Stuff from Japan is pricey. RC cars are cheap when your previous hobby involved buying Japanese lenses.

I just think it's an odd choice to put this conversion kit out, just because Tebo ran it. It's like they haven't committed to a full kit, as its not deserving, or they know it's only a limited market product, and not many would spring for the full kit anyway. I guess you need to be a fanboy to understand?

They must have spent a ton of time and money developing the other motor forward car that everyone else ran at the worlds, and it looked to have been shelved all because Tebo preferred the car he'd practice with.

Maybe this is just a quick stopgap to buy some more time to build a car that tebo actually likes? The kits were discounted, so something new was planned, but it's clearly not ready now.

The Worlds have traditionally been there to provide a platform for the manufacturers to drive the product development forwards. Prototypes and test parts are always evident, which eventually trickle down to a product in the shops. I guess they thought this was preferential to the other car that didn't perform so well?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 15-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I won't be censored or moved on either, it's open discussion, and I'll talk about anything I'm interested in discussing.

I actually couldn't care less about the price, I'll afford what I want, and choose to give my money to whomever I want. Stuff from Japan is pricey. RC cars are cheap when your previous hobby involved buying Japanese lenses.

I just think it's an odd choice to put this conversion kit out, just because Tebo ran it. It's like they haven't committed to a full kit, as its not deserving, or they know it's only a limited market product, and not many would spring for the full kit anyway. I guess you need to be a fanboy to understand?

They must have spent a ton of time and money developing the other motor forward car that everyone else ran at the worlds, and it looked to have been shelved all because Tebo preferred the car he'd practice with.

Maybe this is just a quick stopgap to buy some more time to build a car that tebo actually likes? The kits were discounted, so something new was planned, but it's clearly not ready now.

The Worlds have traditionally been there to provide a platform for the manufacturers to drive the product development forwards. Prototypes and test parts are always evident, which eventually trickle down to a product in the shops. I guess they thought this was preferential to the other car that didn't perform so well?
You are a funny man when it comes to some of your posts lol
I think you are right though nothing wrong with people not seeing eye to eye as the oople would be very very quite place if that was the case
Old 15-03-2016

Just as a note, Yusuke Sugiura took it to 2nd place at the French nationals last weekend. First time out on carpet with it too.
Old 10-04-2016

I know price around 330 UK is a lot for anything but seems to be the way things are going with different cars for different surfaces

Wanted to share if any of you are going to Japan, or have a friend in Japan its around 27,000 Yen (or around 176 pound). Cash or tax price in effect I think means 'spot price' or 'today price' and then you can get a tax discount when you are in the store and are returning it home so usually ends up less then the cash or tax price

This one is in Osaka I visited on my travels last year called RC Champ. Has everything in the shop including a indoor 12th scale track and a pretty comprehensive stock and some free stickers from the friendly staff.

http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/net-car/in...ducts_id=46207

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 10-04-2016

Final result A1 (Ian) and A4(Karl) at mid east regional round 1 today on their first meeting with the new car.
Old 11-04-2016

Iain Mellish took the first Mid East 2wd regional win today on a slippery surface at A1 Racing with Karl Marsden taking 4th place with their RZ6 cars against some tough competition in the likes of Nathan Waters, Greg Williams, James Helliwell, Jack Neal, Eugene Galley, Mitch Fiddling, John Brook and new kid on the block Ben Smith

Fantastic result for the first time out with a new car and with a little setup modification it was fast in very low grip conditions

Team Associated B6.1

Kyosho RZ7

Kyosho ZX7

All kept going by PBM Racing
Old 11-04-2016

Ignoring the excellent result in the hands of very good drivers, the car also did very well in the midfield too.

I for one was one that thought it be a one trick pony, like similar cars have been before. Very good on high grip but just about drivable in the wet. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

My car went down as built, with no practice time on it and not even trimmed/setup electrically, it literally hadn't turned a wheel before Sunday. I'm no superstar I just mix it up in the midfield on a good day.

Even in the wet it was drivable for my hands, not as easy to drive as my Rb6 in those conditions, but improtantly drivable and my gut feeling telling me about as fast. My wet results in a low heat and a fast drying track (so heats above had the advantage for sure) were on par with what I would expect out of me with a 2nd, even with horrendous traffic slowing me down (other than the top 3 cars on the heat) I think I lapped every other car about 4 times in a 5min stint, and the overall results still showed battling with drivers I would usually consider faster.

As the track dryied out the car started to show it's real pace.
Qualified very well, in a final with drivers last season would be 1 or 2 finals ahead, and gave them hell in the race. Certainly not outpaced and in most times faster.

All this in the first outing of the car, with minimum time to work on ironing out setup/handling quirks that didn't nesseceraly suit me.
The raw pace is there on this car, and works IMO in anybodies hands, even in conditions it wasn't really meant for.
It handles bumps/ruts well, jumps and lands well carries corner speed and it's nicely balanced. No doubt there is still more to come as we're getting used to it, and get even more out of it.

I was a skeptic, I'm now a believer.

Last edited by charlesk; 11-04-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2016

Looks great.

If a full kit was released I would definitely consider it.
Old 12-04-2016

Thumbs up Charles Review

I was racing after Charles ( so watched him drive etc.) and to be honest in the wet it did look a bit of a hand full, but as the track dried, it really did have some pace and it showed in his lap times and finals result.

Good result for the big fella.

Cannot wait to see it on the surfaces in our region.

Moss Models
Garcia Graphix

Old 18-04-2016

Default Iain Mellish makes national A final with RZ6

So this weekend was the first 1/10th offroad national of the season and PBM Racing team driver Iain Mellish and his faithful mechanic Dad Gordon 'G Speed' Mellish headed off to Kiddy with the new Kyosho RZ6 fresh from its' debut run victory at last week's Mid East 2wd regional opener. Optimism was high but the weather forecast was doing all it could to dampen (quite literally) team spirits. Below is Iain's report of the day and from us all at PBM Racing we'd like to say a huge congratulations to both Iain and Gordon for a fantastic result. Next up for Iain is the Mid East regional at Broxtowe on April 30th/May 1st, Iain and all of the PBM Racing team will be in attendance so pop on over for a chat.

Iain's report:

Kidderminster 2wd National

Saturday 16th April saw the BRCA National series get underway at an initially very cold, very wet, and super slippery Kidderminster track….what else did we expect!

The event happened to also be the first National, and only the second ever appearance (under the control of my thumbs anyway) of Kyosho’s new RZ6 2wd World Championship car.

The RZ6 is a shaft driven, forward motor car akin to the previous platforms of Team C’s TM2, David Burtons DB2, and rather more recently the new Durango, all of which are well suited to the high bite tracks in Europe, and the UK in particular.

Of course, in the dry, Kidderminster can be classed as one of these high grip circuits, but anyone who has ever raced around Kidderminster in the wet will vouch that the track provides anything but these conditions…we could go as far as saying that in the wet, Kidderminster provides the least amounts of grip on the National calendar.

Having kept a keen eye on the weather forecast through the week it was rather depressing to see the forecast slowly degenerate into conditions that saw us battling through snow storms and torrential rain to finally arrive at the (flooded) track and then get stuck in the mud as we slid our way into the pits.

If history and common sense had taught us anything, it was that these forward motor contraptions were certainly not suited to this kind of weather…indeed, we had attempted to race a TM2 in the same conditions (bar the snow) a few years previous, but certainly with no success and if we had not been buoyed by the previous weeks performance of the new RZ6 in low grip conditions, then we would have surely seen sense and bolted the trusty RB6 together in time for practice. As it was, we wanted to find out just how well the car was capable of performing in (hopefully) the worst conditions we will see all year. As we were in heat 12 I stood and watched as cars in prior heats struggled to get to grips with the, well, lack of grip! We left the RZ6 set up the same as we had it for Grantham and hoped for the best and were pleasantly surprised to say the least.

The car felt so predictable (bar one spot on a corner through a paved section) that I felt comfortable with it almost straight away. It generated just enough initial feel under acceleration to give me confidence to feed in more throttle with no unpredictable sliding out. Through the many off camber corners and undulations on the track the car did what I wanted it to with no under steer, it was very nicely balanced, and it was good to be catching up and passing (although only practice) some very good drivers.

Having had such a positive first practice we wanted to make a few changes to see if any improvements could be found. We decided to go up on the toe in from 3 to 3.5 degrees and also took the weight off from the servo. I was feeling pretty confident that the car would be even better, but instead found that the extra toe in upset the overall balance, it didn’t give the ‘exponentially’ expected added forward bite I was hoping for and it also sacrificed the nice, liner feel of the steering that the car previously had. It wasn’t terrible, I could still circulate without error but it just wasn’t as easy, or as fast, to drive.

For round one we reverted back to our first practice setup but this time went to short wheel base both at the hub and at the inboard position. We ran Ballistic Buggy staggers in green compound on the front and Ballistic Buggy green spikes on the rear. The small changes to the wheel base proved significant, it gave that extra forward and side bite we were hoping to gain from the extra toe in from practice two without sacrificing any steering. It was great to be on the pace throughout the race and even better to end up with an 8th in round.

With conditions slowly improving, but not significantly, we decided to keep the same set-up for round two; this time putting on some new rear tyres was the only change. The track was quicker, and so was the car. Having started off 4th on the stagger we quickly homed in on some of the cars in front and I felt considerable time was lost holding back in trying not to collide with them over a number of laps, unfortunately I couldn’t find a way past and after one lap where I got slightly off line a few times I lost a few meters on track which wasn’t regained. Although a bit disappointed thinking about what could have been we were still happy to come away with another 8th in round, and with it a definite B final spot.

Round three was a difficult one to judge, the track was now getting faster and faster the later the round went on and I think I missed the boat in altering the set-up accordingly. Before the race I lowered the ride height a bit, but it was too little too late. The track was now suited for a much drier set-up and the car felt really edgy and difficult to drive with any consistency. I remember thinking half way through that I wished I had changed to a medium wheel base, I didn’t feel comfortable and this led to one or two errors which required marshalling. Although it was our worst round, it still had the pace to claim 15th overall.

Our scores so far had left us precariously positioned as we were in a group of four or five drivers who were fighting it out for one or two top ten spots. Having missed out on an A final at the same track a few years a go by literally a blink of an eye I was determined not to let the same happen thing happen again. I had a good idea of what I wanted to do with the setup so we got to work.

The first thing we changed to suit the now grippy conditions was to change the shock oils and springs. We changed the front oil from 350cst to 450cst and went up from Losi Blue springs to their Black option. We also went up on the rear shock oils from 300cst to 350cst and from Losi yellow to Losi pink springs. I also wanted the car to be less edgy to drive, and having remembered thinking about the wheel base during the race we changed the hub position to a medium wheel base In hope that it would smooth the quick chicane sections out. The final changes were to lower the ride height to 19.5mm and bolting on a new pair of green compound Ballistic spikes for the rear of the car and some uncut Schumacher yellow staggered ribs for the front.

Having had a poor round in the best yet conditions in round three we had to start from further back on the stagger again. However, the changes to the set-up worked a treat and having been running between second and third through the entire race we were looking good for fourth in round…until the last lap. Going into the hairpin at the end of the parallel straight I got tagged from behind and ended up spinning and facing the wrong way. Luckily I didn’t need marshalling but valuable seconds had been lost and we had to settle (still brilliant!) for a sixth in round.

It was an anxious wait to hear where we had qualified but once it was announced we had claimed that 10th spot we were delighted. The car was brilliant all day. It is so easy and predictable to drive in all the conditions Kidderminster could throw at it and the nice thing is that it is receptive to the changes you make. We didn’t make many changes to the car through the finals apart from some new tyres but we did try to get rid of some more of the edgy-ness from the car by going to a long wheel base. Upon reflection I wished I had thought to remove the 1mm spacer from the front of the ‘flipped’ steering arm as I think that this would have calmed the car down just that bit more around neutral and resulted in less stone apexes being hit…but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and we hopefully have many more chances to try all these things out!

I think everyone there would have been forgiven for assuming that the car would be on a hiding to nothing given the conditions it was faced with, but it just gets on with the job and then lets you know when it wants something changing to make it better…. it feels a bit like cheating really!

We’ve had a lot of cars over the years but this one takes away the need to fill the boot of your car with cars suited for differing grip levels and that’s a massive bonus in the current market. We have only ran the car twice now, and I may still be floating around somewhere cloud 75…or cloud cuckoo land, after Saturday’s result, but it has already propelled itself into one of my favourite ever cars….and there are still improvements to be made!

Team Associated B6.1

Kyosho RZ7

Kyosho ZX7

All kept going by PBM Racing
Old 18-04-2016
Mad Member

That's great report thanks

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 18-04-2016

Great report, lookin forward to getting mine on the track this weekend at round one of oOple at Bury
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 11-10-2016

Is there an alternative bodyshell for this car other than the original one?
Old 12-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.T View Post
Some have managed to fit the Sapphire shell from the Rudebits DB2 with some success. Available off the Rudebits website
Old 20-10-2016

Default RZ6 Conversion

I have the REDS RZ6 conversion. It was about 160 euros, and was superbly made, and took off items from my ZX6 and RB6 to convert it. Also bought a geared diff. So far, at the level I run at, it's pretty good. We run on carpet (very, very low cut, and slightly slippery with control tyres of yellow stagger fronts and white venoms for the rear
Old 13-05-2017

Are there any news regarding setups for this car on astro?
Or does Most people use the RB6.6?
Old 15-05-2017
Mad Member

Still guys using this on Astro as its what the car is best for,
what sort of track are you running on i will search if i have one.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 17-05-2017
Mad Member

Default alternative bodyshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.T View Post
Hi Steve
I do have a few of the parts towards doing the conversion for sale in the parts section. They are all BNIP, I have the chassis, sidepods and the bodyshell.
Old 18-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
Still guys using this on Astro as its what the car is best for,
what sort of track are you running on i will search if i have one.
Neil, I'm Running on:

1) medium grip, flat astro

2) high grip astro, which is bumpy

3) Indoor

Setups for this type of track would be great!

Thanks
Sebastian