Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
I'm sure the last time I read about vintage class you got more "points" for running brushed etc
I seem to remember one of the meeting's rules having a bonus system for brushed motors, 27mhz radio etc.. Can't remember which though.
Old 09-02-2017

Iconic Revival 2014 ran a 'nostalgia' points system, with points earned for period correct tyres, period electrics, 27mhz radios etc.

Although it sounds good, I believe the logistics of policing it for what turned out to be such a large event lead to it being dropped for the following year.

People still do well with period tyres and brushed motors.
Old 15-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'MM'N View Post
Would like to see 2" wheels and tyres used more in the early groups. RC10 and Cat XLS already have huge advantages, cant see why they need modern 2.2", to beat the likes of Tamiya Frogs, Boomerangs etc, etc.
I totally agree with this.

I ran original tyres on my XLS and Topcat at last years revival (along with brushed electrics and nimh packs) and still made the A-Final with both despite being a distinctly average driver. All the effort that went into the car prep paid dividends for me, which is where I derive most enjoyment.

Brushless electrics and lipo's I can understand for convenience, although I would like to see some sort of motor limit. Tyres I think should be limited to what was available at the time - not necessarily kit standard, but not the modern stuff.

Having said all that, the later classes where I ran a Cougar 2 and Bosscat Works, they can handle low turn brushless motors and modern tyres as standard - so why not? The 93-98 2wd class in particular is fiercely competitive, which is great fun as long as it doesn't spread into all the other classes too.

All just my 2p.

Muzzoom Models Motorsport
Old 15-02-2017
Super Moderator

Let's hope that now Schumacher have re released the xls that they will bring back 2.0 mini spikes as the vintage class is crying out for them, if not i will run blocks this year as i have struggled with grip roll the past few years using 2.2 wheels & tyres
Old 18-02-2017
Mad Member

General rule of thumb is:

- Rere's are allowed.
- Vintage cars from that era/class are of course allowed with any mods available from that same period. i.e. an Optima Mid with alloy bellcrank steering, lwb conversion etc. Anything you would have seen for example in 1987/1988 for an Optima Mid is OK which makes sense.
- Wheels aren't police'd but I like to run correct wheels. 2.2 inch look silly and some cars are just too narrow for them without modern updates.
- Slipper clutches are allowed.
- However, for example, am Optima Mid with ZXR arms/towers and Cat K1 big bore shocks isn't cricket as these mods wouldn't have been available back then. They should compete against modern buggies which I'm sure is still fun for the driver/owner.
- Power systems/electrics are open - run brushed or brushless assuming your transmission will not give up - which is your risk

But yes it is hard to really control without spoiling the fun of vintage racing....and it is BIG fun

Cheers,

Dan
Old 18-02-2017

personally i say 2" wheels if the car came with them, running one or two particular types of tyre available at that time, for example full spikes or blocks. some later cars were 2.2, but as full spikes and blocks can be found in 2.2..........
for motors, i would say 10.5 limit is a good idea
Old 19-02-2017

The wheel and tyre thing makes more difference than anything else. Both in looks and performance. Seeing 2.2" wheels and minispikes on Scorpions and Frogs is in my opinion, just not that much fun. I personally run brushed everything but have no issue with brushless, did pretty well at the Brett Davis event running my XX with a 27T stock. Motors are just not as important as tyres.
Old 19-02-2017
Mad Member

I have been roaring around the track with an old lazer ZXr featuring nimh and an old kyosho Leman stock 05 Google IT To many drivers surprise so Easy to drive since IT was so slow but the laptimes was amazed by many

Mvh isobarik
Old 14-03-2017

i always like these topics, lots of different opinions, but lots of sense being posted in here

i co-ordinate the Vintage Festival held in Sydney, Australia each year

Fortunately for our event we've been able to keep it more on the fun side, most of our classes run the 540 johnson motor, the 2wd and 4wd stock buggy classes use this motor too and they are usually the most popular classes. it levels the playing field and saves transmissions for sure.

We also have open buggy classes too where you can run as much motor as you want. we split our buggies into 2 age groups, 1991 and older and 1996 and older, we also split out the non racing oriented buggies and have separate classes for hotshots and another for the classic 2wds like frogs and wild ones

hop ups need to be period unless its for reliability purposes and doesnt also present an advantage, eg, slippers are ok, 3mm belt setup is ok if you were replacing a 2mm belt setup thats hard to get belts for etc, agreed with Dan regarding the Optima mid example, as soon as lazer parts are added, it gets classified as a lazer

As we run on old school dirt/clay, we allow 2.2" rims. An interesting fact, we also run a 2wd purist class where the old 6 gear rc10s race original ultimas like it was the 87 worlds again, and they have to run on old / original tyres. The foxes/wild ones on modern rubber were lapping quicker than the rc10s which suprised me
Old 14-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
not sure about points daz

but definitely more street cred (unless your wearing a vintage shell suit and twatty haircut to match while on the rostrum

dave
Back in the day it was a Track Suit ! The Shell Suit is to modern to use at a vintage event
Old 14-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
The foxes/wild ones on modern rubber were lapping quicker than the rc10s which suprised me
This is my point. Tyres are everything, especially if you are running controlled low power.
Assuming you run the Castle Hill event that I have watched so much of on Youtube? What a great looking meeting and that track is to die for. If I didn't live on the other side of the world I'd be at that club every day.
Old 14-03-2017

I had a wild one back in the day and it went very well indeed on the right surface , with modern rubber it would be even better , i never really tuned it up or modified it as i sold it to a club member who nearly begged for it , i always just assumed I'd got a freaky good one but i was more interested in the Metior I'd just got instead .