Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 03-05-2007
Administrator

Default Ultima RB5 setup discussion

Sticky thread for RB5 setup discussion - please try to keep the Setup thread for posting setups only
Old 05-05-2007

Smile SET UPS

Hi Jimmy&Woodsy,Thanks for you great reveiw as always,could you please post a set up for racing on grass with one or two jumps plus a very small bit of tarmac.I am just building theRB5 at presant I intend fitting carbon diff &thrust balls any other mods as I build, will have JR8235 servo MRT speedo checkpoint 12\2 or moneypoint depending on track etc, advice needed urgent, keep up the good work,TEAM OOPLEyou are super stars to the likes of me.
MARTIN
Old 20-05-2007
Stu-Perstar

For the guys that ran at Bury today please let me know how your cars where? I would love to know and may be we all might be able to get nearer to that goal we all want. Thanks.
Old 20-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

I stood the front shocks up (because I couldn't be arsed to change the oil) and shortened the front arms like you said, and it was much more responsive, yet more forgiving on the faster stuff (like the hill in the middle of the track).
Old 21-05-2007

I'm surprised that there hasn't been much activity on this thread

I finally got to race mine on the weekend at my local track and unfortunately the performance of the car wasn't as great as I'd hoped.

It seemed to handle well and had plenty of on-power grip but the car really had a lot of off-power oversteer - basically as soon as you back off the throttle it just pivoted on the front end.

I'm hoping that it was due to having too soft tyres on the front because anything I adjusted only made a minor difference.

I only have 1 set of front rims, hence I couldn't try any other tyres.

This was on a mildly bumpy, low grip loose dirt track.

Hopefully i can get some more rims in time for the next raceday.
Old 21-05-2007
Mad Member

well, iv ran mine for 2 race meetings now, and to be honest i dont know how to set a car up or indeed what i need to do to make a car behave how i want...

However i have experimented with the shocks, heres what i found....

I originally didnt have any spare springs, so i decided to use 50wt oil and std springs, the car was very safe and jumped ok, however it had no low speed steering and really pushed wide on the slightest hint of power.

I then acquired some genuine Kyosho lime green springs that were 1 grade higher than the stocks, i dropped the weight of oil all around to 35, and the car was immediately better but oversteered on grass and on tarmac, the back end would just snap back off throttle. To reduce the steering i tried losi black springs at the front. These ideally needed cuting down as they were too long, but i thought id give it a go. The car was indeed better, it understeered on power but could quite easily be driven around Southport. The car also jumped really well and went over the rear bumpy part with ease.

I will in future cut the springs down and also try Losi blues.

Hope this helps anyone.

Col.
Old 21-05-2007
Mad Member

Just to update, for those that dont know ....Southport is an astro track with grass and tarmac, it is also quite bumpy in places and has a range of small jumps just to catch you out lol.

I also ran full 2wd yellow minispikes all around ( uncut ) , I will also try the Kyosho yellow limey green springs with the outside row of spikes cut off too see if that helps with the cars snap back off power attitude.

Col.
Old 21-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've been running 35wt front and 30wt rear oil.
first with the kit springs and the car felt planted on grass, tarmac, astro etc.
a slight hint of understeer on tarmac/concrete with the back end kicking out only on dusty sections, but that is mainly down to car control (and a 8x2 motor) more than set up.

Changing to associated blue fronts and silver rear helped get more ride height as the kit springs limit the ride height due to the fact that the threads on the bodies only go half way down the shock. other wise I would've stuck with the kit springs.

I'm still experimenting with the diff and the slipper, so any help from more experienced drivers would be helpful. I cant tel (on track) if its the diff slipping or the slipper. I think at the moment, I may have too much slip on the diff.

other than that i'm finding it a nice car to race with (what i think) a more comfortable feel than the B4.
Old 02-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Guys, I have been testing today and i think i have found it? my RB5 felt like a B4. WOW. I have been playing with pistons and oils. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. I still have an issue with the wheel base but WOW. Guys please come over next weekend and have a chat. If anyone is coming.
Old 02-06-2007

Please tell....
Old 02-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4nut View Post
Please tell....
ditto!!

spill the beans!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 03-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
ditto!!

spill the beans!

Just wait till this weekend so I can proove it. The all will come clear.
Old 03-06-2007

He's put a kyosho shell on a B4
Old 03-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK999 View Post
He's put a kyosho shell on a B4
It was very close to that, but after a few changes it did feel like a B4.
Old 03-06-2007

shell AND wing then?
Old 04-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

well? any news on what it was?

......ahh, I think I know.
Old 04-06-2007
Mad Member

Hmmm, well iv stuck with losi balck springs (front) and now that the rear tyres have worn (quite a lot lol) the car is getting there, considering that the rear tyres have worn out , it still generates quite a lot of grip.

I also experimented and used an old zx5 wing that i have which has had the back flap cut right out ( less downforce ) i was surprised by how much this imprroved things.

Col.
Old 04-06-2007
Mad Member

Aww do tell Stu.

Old 04-06-2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woOdy View Post
Guys, I have been testing today and i think i have found it? my RB5 felt like a B4. WOW. I have been playing with pistons and oils. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. I still have an issue with the wheel base but WOW. Guys please come over next weekend and have a chat. If anyone is coming.
Where did you go Stu - we were expecting you at Southport for the GP - you missed a good day.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 04-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Where did you go Stu - we were expecting you at Southport for the GP - you missed a good day.

I have a track in the back garden. I didnt come to Southport due to I have one week left for the Nat and I need to get it perfect so spent the day down there painting.