Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 14-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Serious idea for winter racing.

Rob and I were chatting today about winter plans.
Neither of us are terribly confident about outdoor racing in winter - people say they are up for it now, but given how quick everyone scampers off home when it rains I'm not convinced yet.
Getting an indoor venue is tricky though - we need a lot of space, and we'd also need storage for carpets, track hose etc, and all at a really cheap price.

But following on from Matts thread about the Tomy GX's;

What about if we ran Micro T's and or GX's? They are much smaller, and we could easily find a room - even a pubs function room should be large enough. We might want carpet and track hose - but we are talking one roll, and garden hose which will fit in a car boot.
I'd favor the Micro T over the GX because its fully rebuildable and has proportional steering. JE sell them for £58, but I'm fairly sure if instead of buying individually we ordered in bulk through the club we could knock it down to under £50 (is this possible Stu?) which is no more than you'd spend on tyres racing 1/10ths indoors.
We'd run them stock, everything you need is in the box, but damage is repairable - a whole new gearbox cost me £7.
Only problem I can see is timing would have to be manual - they are too small for handout transponders and the stock electrics have no way of powering a PT.

Who's interested?

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 14-08-2011
Mad Member

Im going to race indoors, im going to book in for chadderton defo and maybe worksop and then theres always batley indoors inbetween if we dont find an indoor venue.
Old 14-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well yes thats great Matt - but none of those are anything to do with Bury. We could do with doing something ourselves, whatever that something is.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 14-08-2011
Mad Member

i have got an idea ill pm you,dont discuss it in the open as eveything normaly is. lol
Old 14-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Rob and I were chatting today about winter plans.
Neither of us are terribly confident about outdoor racing in winter - people say they are up for it now, but given how quick everyone scampers off home when it rains I'm not convinced yet.

I think winter racing outdoors is definatly possible depending on which type of weather comes out.
Winter can be cold but dry, which would be ideal!!
However if we get days like today, when it pours down for 2 mins, 4 times within an hour, its not very fun!
Problem is were setting up for 'Hi-grip' ie not getting any grip roll, as the carpet is very very grippy. But when its wet, the carpet does the complete opposite. Which is fine if youve got time to fiddle about changing things, but wont be nice when its -2 outside in winter.
Old 14-08-2011
Banned

I don't think changing cars to suite the venue is a good idea to be fair. Especially when people spend that much money on cars in the first place.

Surely there is some sports hall available over winter? or some large space? in the Bolton/Bury area. Or maybe even look to racing on a Saturday?
is there no space at Coney Green on the Saturdays?

Like Matt says, People will just go elsewhere otherwise. I don't think i would get a Micro.
Old 14-08-2011

We've raced previously at the Bolton Community College at Horwich and at the Excel Centre in Bolton.

Are these still possibilities?
Old 14-08-2011

Default Mid week pleeeeeeease

If it was mid week indoors i would join, attend, set up and put away! I promise!!!
Old 14-08-2011
Gypsy Member

no to micro dude ...we race 10th thats what we do
reckon we try outdoor track see how it go s cant be worse than summer season

called at kieghthly today and got sunburnt marshalling for 5 min
manchester weather rules
Old 14-08-2011

No, micros don't appeal much after what i've poured into 1/10th scale in £££ terms. I'd prefer to race outside all winter anyway, unless the weather gets really bad i'll cope. That's what we always did in the old days.
Old 14-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well it was just an idea.....

Money is not the issue Coleman, whatever people say. How much was your 410 Ultra chassis? If I'm right on discounts I reckon we could get 3 whole Micro T's for that money. Not chassis, not rollers, whole cars with electrics, radio, charger and even the AA's to run them. So any comments about spending extra is rubbish.

You won't change cars to suit the venue, but you will change days of the week? Maybe that works for you but it doesn't for a lot of others.

We have investigated several venues. So far its all too small, no storage or too expensive. Chadderton for example costs so much you needed 50-60 drivers at a tenner a piece to get close to covering costs. Rossendale got away with their venues because they had a van to cart gear around (ie no storage needed)

Its worth pointing out Jnunu's post - He was a Roundabout regular but Dave's finding it equally hard to get a midweek venue. Sundays are busier than mid-week in the winter for sports halls.

I'm quite happy to go with outdoor racing. I'm used to it - thats what I did as a kid. But the reality is that for a typical wet meeting only have the drivers that entered round 1 are still running come finals, and thats in the Summer. When its 5 degrees its going to be even less.

Personally I rather like the idea of racing in a pubs function room and pitting in the saloon bar. But if people don't fancy it thats fine.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 14-08-2011
Banned

Yup i spent a fair few quid on my Durango.... So the point of leaving it at home and racing a £50 "Toy" is what...

I'm not against spending another £50 but whats the point?

There is plenty of other places that are doing indoors, So if bury don't run something i would just go were the "Action" is.
Old 14-08-2011
Banned

£50 or £2000 they're all toys

Either way have you seen the size of these things? May as well jus get a big scalextrix

No indoors this winter, outdoors and wrap up warm! After all it doesn't rain half as much in the winter months
Old 14-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Well it was just an idea.....

Money is not the issue Coleman, whatever people say. How much was your 410 Ultra chassis? If I'm right on discounts I reckon we could get 3 whole Micro T's for that money. Not chassis, not rollers, whole cars with electrics, radio, charger and even the AA's to run them. So any comments about spending extra is rubbish.

You won't change cars to suit the venue, but you will change days of the week? Maybe that works for you but it doesn't for a lot of others.

We have investigated several venues. So far its all too small, no storage or too expensive. Chadderton for example costs so much you needed 50-60 drivers at a tenner a piece to get close to covering costs. Rossendale got away with their venues because they had a van to cart gear around (ie no storage needed)

Its worth pointing out Jnunu's post - He was a Roundabout regular but Dave's finding it equally hard to get a midweek venue. Sundays are busier than mid-week in the winter for sports halls.

I'm quite happy to go with outdoor racing. I'm used to it - thats what I did as a kid. But the reality is that for a typical wet meeting only have the drivers that entered round 1 are still running come finals, and thats in the Summer. When its 5 degrees its going to be even less.

Personally I rather like the idea of racing in a pubs function room and pitting in the saloon bar. But if people don't fancy it thats fine.
I agree si,weve all agreed to race outdoors through the winter so lets sick with it,all im saying is that i fancy a bit of indoor,chadderton is only once a month and if its raining we can still race but at another club,i dont think we should be expecting to race outdoors every single week through the winter because of the weather.but if its not raining i will race at bury
Old 14-08-2011
Gypsy Member

+ 1 matt
Old 14-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
I agree si,weve all agreed to race outdoors through the winter so lets sick with it,all im saying is that i fancy a bit of indoor,chadderton is only once a month and if its raining we can still race but at another club,i dont think we should be expecting to race outdoors every single week through the winter because of the weather.but if its not raining i will race at bury
+2 what happened to the sports hall in Radcliffe? was it last winter it was used?
Old 14-08-2011

Default winter racing

Hi guy's.
What about that warehouse that one of the racers has in trafford.
Roger was telling me that one of the guys had an empty warehouse in trafford that we could use.
You need to ask him about it.
Old 14-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Show View Post
Hi guy's.
What about that warehouse that one of the racers has in trafford.
Roger was telling me that one of the guys had an empty warehouse in trafford that we could use.
You need to ask him about it.
budfish is going to bell him in the morning mate.
Old 14-08-2011

Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
Old 14-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
Would it be big enough for buggy's?

Ive never seen the inside, but it looks a fair size.