Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 15-12-2006

Corally long boss pinions are among the best out there i still have nearly a full set from when i had a cat 2000 running the extra heatsink before the alloy mount became available

RW also used to make long boss but are much heavier and didn't last as long
Old 15-12-2006

Ok, Ive jsut finished the build and what a build, love the car however there are a few issues that I didnt like, when the diffs are built you use the outer set of holes on the pully, however this leaves the balls exposed to the elements!! Not good at all, I have had to use a set of vinyl discs that cover the diffs up, this should prevent a lot of slop going into them, as for the rest of build the only other issue that I came across was the positioning of the electrics, if you need to get to the lower motor screw you will have to be careful where you locate the reciever/ESC.
Old 15-12-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

can I just see which diff holes you use, I might have a suggestion.

edit: I just looked at the instructions, and they use different holes to the Touring Cars, so you can't use the MRE pulleys.

Last edited by DCM; 15-12-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 15-12-2006

Its a pain as I think that this is the only thing that spoils an other wise great design.
Old 15-12-2006
Mad Member

All of my allen key drivers are imperial (for the B4). Which metric ones will I need for the TRF501X?

Neil
Old 15-12-2006

1.5, 2, 2.5mm
Old 16-12-2006

Send a message via MSN to darren

Does anyone else find this car obscenely heavy? I think that the diffs are entirely too dense, and the use of all steel screws doesn't really help. I have swaped out the top steel screws for Titanium ones, but am not sure if the Lt. Wt. alum. outdrives for the 415 MSX will fit. ANyone else have any thoughts to lighten this bugger up?
Old 16-12-2006

I agree that the diff outdrives are quite heavy.

I mentioned a few pages back that there is a second (unused) diff nut holder supplied with the car that would fit an outdrive with wider slots - presumably an alloy version that uses blades.

So I think ones will be available as an option at some time.

The MSX outdrives wont work as they are more offset.

However, as this drivetrain is based on the TA05 it maybe possible to use the optional alloy outdrive set for that car (see pic below). If it does work, it would mean the diff balls would be running on the inside ring on the diff gear, and you'd have to use the diff rings from the ta05/415 cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta05diff.jpg (62.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 16-12-2006

Just started to build my TRF501X, (first Tamiya since my Top Force Evo)

What tyres are you guys running? I have tried a pair of Green Mini Spikes Rears on the rear wheels but they don’t seem to fit very well. But the Green Mini Spike Fronts are ok on the front wheels.

Any ideas?
Old 16-12-2006

As I am from North America (Canada) the only "real" tires of choice are either PRO-LINE HoleShots or Inside JObs (depending on the track). Some people like the Panther Tires (Bobcats) But I have yet to find a consistant pair.

Do you have the part number for the alloy outdrives? THey look almost identical? And why would I not be able to use the kit std. balls/diff rings? I have a Ceramic set that will save a bit of weight, but seeing as it is on a rotating mass part, I think it may improve acceleration, which is what I think that most belt drive cars lack compared to shaft drive cars.
Old 16-12-2006

Build finished and Electrics installed, just got to set the car up now.

Thought that you guys would like to see some pictures of the finished article.

Old 16-12-2006

I dunno if the running TA05 diff outdrives will take the loading, being that the diff balls are closer to the diff ball, to get the same diff 'action' requires more loading on the diff plates, which means the diff screw has to be tightened more....

TRF, looks like it is in need of a bling paint jon ;P
Old 16-12-2006

Well heres hoping on that one.
Old 16-12-2006
Mad Member

RC Champ in Japan are telling me they are getting low on stock and this is a limited edition kit, so probably wont be getting any more in. I know this could be a sales ploy to make me place my order, but i am concerened about going for this kit and then (1) finding hardly anyone else has one (2) the spares wont be available in future... i usually try to keep a car three years.. i cant afford to throw it away at the end of the year. Comments???
Old 16-12-2006

From what I am told (From a very good source), this is indeed a limited edition kit. I am given the impression variations of this kit will be offered over the next 12 months as the car is developed probably with variations on the TRF501 name.

So I can only presume there will be a spares backup of some kind.

I have seen some spare TRF501X belts on the ebay, so they are beginning to filter through.

Colin

Old 17-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I dunno if the running TA05 diff outdrives will take the loading, being that the diff balls are closer to the diff ball, to get the same diff 'action' requires more loading on the diff plates, which means the diff screw has to be tightened more....

TRF, looks like it is in need of a bling paint jon ;P
Agreed, but as long as the inside diameter of the 501x diff rings are the same as the ta05/415 diff rings, then they should fit (even if they aren't keyed to the outdrive) and would then allow you to put the diff balls in the outer ring (ie standard position).

I might try it with a set of TA05 precision diff outdrives (the plastic ones) - at least they're cheap if it doesn't work.

Having said that, its possible that the delrin-style outdrives will wear less than the alloy versions with blades , so perhaps for stock class at least that may be the better option.

I know my Evo 5 chews through the alloy outdrives quicker than my other (delrin outdrive) cars!
Old 17-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Does anyone else find this car obscenely heavy? I think that the diffs are entirely too dense, and the use of all steel screws doesn't really help. I have swaped out the top steel screws for Titanium ones, but am not sure if the Lt. Wt. alum. outdrives for the 415 MSX will fit. ANyone else have any thoughts to lighten this bugger up?
Those little bitty, heavy, low juice nickels are the main cause of your weight problem. I Would recommend running Lithium.
Old 18-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
can I just see which diff holes you use, I might have a suggestion.

edit: I just looked at the instructions, and they use different holes to the Touring Cars, so you can't use the MRE pulleys.

Oops, I need to rebuild my diffs.....
Old 18-12-2006

Can't run li-pos at our club - but I was referring to the weight w/o the batteries!
Old 19-12-2006

Never say can't - I've raced using Lithium Manganese (LiMN) in and around Toronto.

Replacing bits here n' there just won't cut it. Your best bet is to get rid of those nickels.