Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Gaming Chat

Old 23-02-2014
Administrator

Default RC Game?

If people wanted to play an RC game - what sorta stuff would you want, what look would you like, what level of realism etc...?

Not talking about a simulator for practicing but a GAME for PC using keyboard or joypad preferably.

I had an rc game on my gameboy and it was fairly basic - win races I think and get points to buy a faster motor.
How important are the physics to control your car in the air and time jumps. It could never be as fast as RC for people to enjoy - you'd stress out and go nuts, probably fitting for hours.

Would you want upgrades to mean something - would you want a shaft driven car / belt driven to be better / worse. Would cartoony / slightly exaggerated and rounded buggies be acceptable?

Would you want real cars in there licencing permitting or just made-up-a-likes?

Damage?

What about the gameplay aspect - would you want things other than your driving to decide your fate. I'm talking style points here. ++ for a smooth run over the tripples. ++++++++++ for a nice move in the air recovered and landed nicely - stuff like that.

Multiplayer - do you want to fight your mates online? Or a simgle player only game. TBH I don't know what is needed for the multiplayer aspect since running dedicated gaming servers isn't my thing. lol.

Commentary (obviously not real, live) - crowd jeering/cheering?

Motors tyres electrics - how if at all would you want them part of the granturismo style upgrade path to actually matter? The real racing these days is limited by skill mostly for off road. The cars are easily too fast - but that said, if it's a GAME then you can have pickup frogs if you want. So anything goes.

How much track do you want to see - say you had an isometric 3/4 view above following your car - perhaps with a lap map at the top of the screen.

Racing only on tracks - or also include bonus skateparks or street setups you can bash on?

I'm not a gamer as I said. I sometimes race sims like iracing or play starcraft1 and 2. Generally I'm not interested as it's a waste of time when I could be creating instead of playing.

Given the tiny RC market - wider appeal would need to be a part of it. Tiny market I mean in racing - since even working at a manufacturer they seemed to think it was all about the top racers..... failing to realise people buy far more RC vehicles to DICK ABOUT WITH - including race cars. Am I the only one who knows this or what? lol.
I know this is a race forum primarilly but myself - I'd happily drive a realistic defender 90 round my garden at barely just over 0mph. Or take a big truck to a skate park and stunt it up.
I regularly do backflips off a tree in my garden with my race 4wd - and sometimes manage a transition to a wall ride on the garage before landing perfectly. (not always).

Anyway - that's where I come from in RC. The last time I went to Belgian GP and raced my first final in the wet with the wrong tyres and a one way in my car. That's the most fun race possibly I've ever had. turning last second on a jump and landing sideways, and drifting every corner like a lunatic. I came last btw.

So yeah - bearing the non-racer element that might know something or might know nothing at all and just want a fun game. That's how it needs to be looked at. If people can throw out some ideas on some of these points it would be great.
Old 23-02-2014

Oculus Rift support.
Old 23-02-2014
Administrator

lol I've seen a few VR headsets dumped around game company offices. I guess some day someone will make one that doesn't turn you blind.
Old 23-02-2014

Sounds like a great idea Jimmy, I think something fun would be cool. Do you remember Re-Volt I used to love this game, it is available on Iphone but more fighting with bombs etc than racing.

Cartoony style cars would be better to use less headache.

Dedicated server idea or multiplayer rooms via DirectX lobby service.

tracks outside, indoor, real (but not actual) and garden/street/parks.

fun is the aim but maybe with points and league tables etc.

Just some ideas for you :-)
Old 23-02-2014
Administrator

Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback. Yeah re-volt was fun but not really what I'm thinking here at all. I'd like to see the sorta things you'd really get if you landed bad and got on the power too early. Be nice if you could use different driving styles like neat and tidy vs crazy sideways with roosters.

In a single player game I can see how it could be done - but the multiplayer throws me. The sort of backend in a game like Starcraft 2 is crazy and would take so much time to make. But it's a great way to find your friends and join their battles. Have to think about that.
Old 23-02-2014

Hi.

I think motor storm rc isn't a bad start. It's quick,fun and really fast paced. The races are short and I can pick it up have a blast for 20 minutes and then put it down again.

It has a range of car types which is nice as it's fun to learn different techniques. It doesn't have upgrades which is good for me as I can't be waffed with all the fuss. I can compare my times with mates at the start of each race which is fun.

The one thing I'd like is if I could somehow use my transmitter to control it.

It might be just me getting old but I find I prefer games that I can just pick up when I have a few spare minutes.
Old 23-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hey Jim, I think actually trying to get the physics right would be a total ball ache but something along the lunes would be ace.

Cars, lookalikes and fun, achievements for faster motors, piwer ups maybe?
Old 23-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Sony made one a while back for the playstation one or two which is not bad. Cant remember the name but think it was RC Play.

Also you can buy the download for your pc as well for revolt which ive been using for ten or so years but with a difference, you can add up to 500 more different cars and levels so you never will get bored. Also you can use the playstation 3 controllers so can drive it like an rc car.

If realism is required then one game online does exist but im not up for paying a monthly fee, i want a one off fee for it to do as i please.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 23-02-2014
Mad Member

When I was young, I played this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrpCmhrPcCU

3D Ultra Radio Control Racers! Someone at school had the German version of it, and we played it occasionally. It's hilarious! I managed to get the English version about 2 years ago, and I occasionally play it again.

I really love the graphics: It's vivid yet basic imagery, you don't need more than that, in fact the focus on 2D with striking textures works better for me than a 3D model without proper detailing. At most wheels that can move independently from the car would add to the experience. It's really cool too you can edit the basic physics of the game in Notepad. Also, I think the feature of weapons and upgrades on the track is really cool (imagine what other weapons and upgrades you could make if you take some inspiration from Worms! )

However, now I've grown up I'd like to see a more sophisticated AI so you can actually race closely, perhaps Network/Internet Multiplayer driving and a more sophisticated and realistic physics/handling engine so the cars behave more diversely. It doesn't have to be like VRC Pro, but a relatively basic but decent car physics model of a game like GTA 3/Vice City would work wonders for realism (and handling can be edited in Notepad, just like the RC Game I mentioned). Oh, and many more types of cars and tracks And while you're at it you could make a mission/storyline in the game, too.

So in short, in my imagination a fun RC game has a basic but decent physics model with proper AI for close racing, but takes a sort of kids' perspective of driving them like they did so vividly in 3D Ultra Radio Control Racers!

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 23-02-2014
Administrator

3D it would be but more painted stylized than anything in terms of overall look. Not simply downloading a dirt texture from cgtextures.com and overlaying with another here and there to create a pretty lame looking track
Different textures (blue groove) can have different properties quite easily from others.
Old 23-02-2014

I used to have RC Pro Am on my Nintendo NES and it was the bollocks!
Old 24-02-2014

The game Origineelreclamebord is referring to looks quite fun. With some up-to-date graphics and probably more tracks it would be fun for me to play.

I do play VRC Pro sometimes, but it's physics engine isn't that good and I'd prefer a more fun way to play. If I had the spare time I would love to make a decent game. But currently too busy with other development.

Great topic though.
Old 24-02-2014

Has anyone played Madskills motocross on their Iphone? I play that a lot, and it would be really cool with something like that done o0ple style with buggies.

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 24-02-2014

i used to play this game and i still have it somewhere in some boxes but was a good game for what it was and for when it was around some tracks were fun some were more competative and the cars were prity close lookign to what was around at the time as well maybe this could be made with better graphics engine but still with that fun factor.

http://uk.ign.com/images/games/3-d-u...c388ed13e4801a

Cougar sv & HB cyclone
Old 25-02-2014
Administrator

All good info guys keep it coming.
Engine will be Unreal - that's about all that's certain. No other forum offers you input to create a dream rc game (not sim)
Old 25-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
All good info guys keep it coming.
Engine will be Unreal - that's about all that's certain. No other forum offers you input to create a dream rc game (not sim)
Ability to play online live with friends would be the biggest selling point for me.

Motorstorm rc almost nailed it, except for this.
Old 25-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Something along the lines of the older 'micro machine' games - but with online play.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 25-02-2014

Motorstrom RC was good but the tracks were too cluttered, on some of them it was hard to see what was going on. Andy's micro machines idea is good, but with more sensible tracks. I do think on-line play is a must though.
Old 25-02-2014

A similar style game as the ones mentioned but as a phone app, now your talking
Old 25-02-2014

You should design a adaptor to able to use your transmitter with grandturismo! That would be mega.