Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 02-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi, thanks for your reply

Although not necessarily the answer was hoping for, thank you for taking the time to reply.

As for looking around for a registered physio, that will be the next thing I do.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
I'm a physio with about 10 years experience of working with musculoskeletal conditions. In answer to your question about the power of your leg following your lumbar spine surgery in 2008.

Your ability to recover depends on whether the muscle does not have power because it's nerve supply was affected and therefore became weaker or if the nerve was compressed enough that it is permanently unable to provide adequate signals to the muscle. If the muscle is just residually weak after the nerve returned to normal function then some strengthening exercise will help. If the nerve is compromised then it is unlikely to recover much strength. Given that you are still having problems now since 2008 I would think the latter scenario is the most likely one.

In saying that I would suggest that you find a physiotherapist near you who is state registered with the health professions council. That last bit is important as it means you will get a properly qualified physio. They will be able to assess you and advise you on how to maximise your function.

Good luck

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 26-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

just completed the 1st 100 miles since buying my bike a month ago. Really happy with that. I'm not loosing weight as such still at 11st 13lb / 167lb / 75.74kg, but I feel so much fitter and my breathing is a lot better.

My 1st ride out on the bike I did 6.8 miles in 35mins.
Yesterday I did 8.5 miles in 34mins

Longest ride so far is 13.8 miles so looking to improve that soon.
Old 28-09-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Well done

Do you feel as though you need to lose weight, or just looking to tone up / feel fitter? Your weight seems to be within a fairly healthy range - if you're taller than 5ft 9in then your BMI is falling into the healthy category. Great that you're feeling fitter anyway, endorphines can work wonders

Old 05-10-2011

I thought I would add my little story here as well...

A few weeks back I decided that enough was enough, and I really needed to get something done about my weight. I've been around 100kg for years (height 5'10" btw)... lowest I've been was 98 a few years back for a sailing event, but as it was a quick drop (2weeks), lost a load of strength too.

As a bit more background, last Nov I moved out to China, and whilst I was riding to work everyday back in the UK, since being here I've hardly done much to help matters. My fitness level as a result has suffered, and my weight has slowly creeped up to above 102kg. Part of my big issue has always been that I've also enjoyed food (usually not the good stuff as well) a bit too much, and tended to eat a lot in the evenings.

Anyway, like I said before, a few weeks back I decided enough was enough. Part the of the reason was the lady telling me that she would like me thinner... and that pushed me over the edge.

So for the past few weeks, I've been running 2-3 times a week, and doing some smaller exercises at home each day. Also on a non-running day, try to mix it up with cycling and swimming.
I'm also making a concerted effort to eat less (especially in the evenings), and eat better, and drinking a lot more water instead of other things. And that includes completely cutting out alcohol for the time being, although that is more to do with the below.

I have another goal as well, as a colleague mentioned about doing a half-marathon in shanghai in Dec, which I've agreed to do. I've never done anything like that before... but figure it gives me a good target to work too.

Self-motivation has always been a big issue for me, but with people around me pushing me, it certainly helps.

So far, I started out at 103kg four weeks ago, and last week when I weighed myself I was down to 101.5kg. Not a huge amount, but I've decided the best thing is not to become fixated on the actual weight. My main targets are to look better and be fitter, and I figure the weight will follow as a consequence.

I do have a general target of 80-85kg, any less than that and I think I would be a bit weak, and as I have a larger build will struggle to get less.

On the fitness side, already seeing big improvements. At the start I could hardly run 4K without stopping... this week alone I've already done two 12K runs (one being an interval style session), and plan to do a 15K before the end of the week.

Ok, the times are below the target I have for the half marathon (2hr 10min), but at the moment I'm concentrating on getting the endurance, and then speed can come latter.

At the very least, I am already starting to see a difference. I look thinner, can grab a less around the middle, and well, the distances on the runs speak for themselves... so far, so good..

Regards
Ed
Old 05-10-2011

Default yeah !

Go on Eddy my boy !!! When will we see the new you back in the UK ??

I drop below 20 stones and it just seems to stay there these last month. #But the inches are coming off the waist still Im just bulking up a lot more.. I might have to rethink my target of 18 stones and maybee settle for a ripped and totaly fit LOL 19 stones.

To much Gym work im afraid.... Still do the 1 hr cardio but what follows is 2 hrs of weigh training. Still doing the MTB rides though. Did a 38 miler on Monday just to get my arse ready for the 37 mile BHF ride in two weeks.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/g7r3Muu3CCc Gonna try and give Glyn Ward a run for his money LOL

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 05-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs oOple View Post
Well done

Do you feel as though you need to lose weight, or just looking to tone up / feel fitter? Your weight seems to be within a fairly healthy range - if you're taller than 5ft 9in then your BMI is falling into the healthy category. Great that you're feeling fitter anyway, endorphines can work wonders
I don't really care what weight I am. Given that I'm the same height and weight as Lance Armstrong right now lol.

I just want to loose my belly and tone up a bit. Also be able to marshall frantically without needing a lie down afterwards!

My cycling has already shown an improvement in my health after only 130 miles. my resting heart rate is pretty decent at around 70bpm.
Old 05-10-2011
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Just started this whole getting fit malarkey myself on monday.

Will report back in a few weeks with some figures..
Old 05-10-2011

i have gone from 106kg to 92 in 3 months , all it took was my gf of 19 years to leave !!
Bitch !!
not bitter or twisted mind ;-)
Old 05-10-2011
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I thought I would add my little story here as well...

A few weeks back I decided that enough was enough, and I really needed to get something done about my weight. I've been around 100kg for years (height 5'10" btw)... lowest I've been was 98 a few years back for a sailing event, but as it was a quick drop (2weeks), lost a load of strength too.

As a bit more background, last Nov I moved out to China, and whilst I was riding to work everyday back in the UK, since being here I've hardly done much to help matters. My fitness level as a result has suffered, and my weight has slowly creeped up to above 102kg. Part of my big issue has always been that I've also enjoyed food (usually not the good stuff as well) a bit too much, and tended to eat a lot in the evenings.

Anyway, like I said before, a few weeks back I decided enough was enough. Part the of the reason was the lady telling me that she would like me thinner... and that pushed me over the edge.

So for the past few weeks, I've been running 2-3 times a week, and doing some smaller exercises at home each day. Also on a non-running day, try to mix it up with cycling and swimming.
I'm also making a concerted effort to eat less (especially in the evenings), and eat better, and drinking a lot more water instead of other things. And that includes completely cutting out alcohol for the time being, although that is more to do with the below.

I have another goal as well, as a colleague mentioned about doing a half-marathon in shanghai in Dec, which I've agreed to do. I've never done anything like that before... but figure it gives me a good target to work too.

Self-motivation has always been a big issue for me, but with people around me pushing me, it certainly helps.

So far, I started out at 103kg four weeks ago, and last week when I weighed myself I was down to 101.5kg. Not a huge amount, but I've decided the best thing is not to become fixated on the actual weight. My main targets are to look better and be fitter, and I figure the weight will follow as a consequence.

I do have a general target of 80-85kg, any less than that and I think I would be a bit weak, and as I have a larger build will struggle to get less.

On the fitness side, already seeing big improvements. At the start I could hardly run 4K without stopping... this week alone I've already done two 12K runs (one being an interval style session), and plan to do a 15K before the end of the week.

Ok, the times are below the target I have for the half marathon (2hr 10min), but at the moment I'm concentrating on getting the endurance, and then speed can come latter.

At the very least, I am already starting to see a difference. I look thinner, can grab a less around the middle, and well, the distances on the runs speak for themselves... so far, so good..

Regards
Ed
Awesome stuff! Just wanted to say something learnt from personal experience though about the runs, you'd be better off doing more shorter runs, ie 5k than smashing in 10,12,15k'ers because the longer runs give your joints inparticular quite a hammering and you don't want to be off injured. Of course the long steady jogs are great for burning calories, but also with slightly shorter ones you can speed up each time which will increase your strength and so increase your metabolism so you'll be burning more calories even when you're not running..
Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yeah James is always popping up on my run keeper putting in 1 to 4 mile runs

I agree the same with cycling. I never had a problem pounding my 7 mile circuit in 30mins or less and as soon as I put in a 14 mile ride my arms started developing issues. Apparently it's a common thing in cycling to get it. I just means I need to stay off the bike for 2-4 weeks now
Old 05-10-2011

Default Arm thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
yeah James is always popping up on my run keeper putting in 1 to 4 mile runs

I agree the same with cycling. I never had a problem pounding my 7 mile circuit in 30mins or less and as soon as I put in a 14 mile ride my arms started developing issues. Apparently it's a common thing in cycling to get it. I just means I need to stay off the bike for 2-4 weeks now

Whats a common thing ??? just curious ARM PUMP ? 2-4 weeks off.... I would DIE ! saying that its gym again tonight !

Old 05-10-2011
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondy View Post
! saying that its gym again tonight !
Same for me! Just payed my membership now
Old 05-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Whats a common thing ??? just curious ARM PUMP ? 2-4 weeks off.... I would DIE ! saying that its gym again tonight !
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...-injuries.html
Old 06-10-2011

Default Arms

Arr ! I see ! Yes early last year that was the case.. But I have upped the gym work this last year.. Weights.. Low Rows etc etc so my forearms are now like steel. I have dumbells in the bedroom and when watching telly I just sit /ly there pumping iron/twisting the wrists etc.

Still get a bit of numbness when riding the steel inbred with the carbon solid forks around rother valley,but only after 20 miles. Its got a bit rough there this last year .

4 weeks off... TO THE GYM !!!

Old 06-10-2011
Mad Member

OK, here's my experience and advice:

Find some sort of online "weight club". I've used www.vektklubb.no (only in norwegian I think). The whole idea is that you register everything you eat and how much you excercise. Based on your weight, height, gender, age etc the calories and weight loss/gain are automatically calculated. You state how much and how fast you want to loose weight. It's really spot on!!! Doesen't matter what you eat, just stick to the planned max. calories intake each day and you'll get there!

I think it's hard (if not impossible) for most people to "intuitively" do it right "by yourself"... But after entering your intake for some weeks you get kinda subconscious as to what you can eat and how much. But if you get off track, start entering everything again!

Excercise is not at all crucial to loosing weight, but rather very good for your health, energy and life expectancy. 30 mins walk each day is more than enough!

Good luck!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smOkin View Post
Awesome stuff! Just wanted to say something learnt from personal experience though about the runs, you'd be better off doing more shorter runs, ie 5k than smashing in 10,12,15k'ers because the longer runs give your joints inparticular quite a hammering and you don't want to be off injured. Of course the long steady jogs are great for burning calories, but also with slightly shorter ones you can speed up each time which will increase your strength and so increase your metabolism so you'll be burning more calories even when you're not running..
Good Luck!
Followed the advice today, just kept it to a short 5K... and promptly smashed my PB, and managed it in 29:03, which I was well chuffed with!

Thankfully, there's a 400m track that is open to the public all the time near where I live, so doing most of the training on there, as I have had issues with my ankles and knees before, so trying to be kind to them to start with! Followed more advice from my colleague, and run in the outside lane, whilst also doing half one direction and half the other so not to overload the ankles/knees unduly.
Whats more crazy is the 100+ chinese people that appeared from no-where at about 6pm tonight, and were just walking around the track... (envious) madness, but it's no wonder most of them are stick thin!

And as a good end to the day... getting dressed for going out for dinner (FYI, Sushi ), realised I needed to use the next hole in on the belt to keep the jeans up.... OH YEAH!
Old 06-10-2011

Quote:
Go on Eddy my boy !!! When will we see the new you back in the UK ??
Gonna be a year or so yet... will probably make a visit back sometime around May/June next year.

Good job on all the weight loss btw, have been following your story, and has given a bit of the inspiration I needed to get off my backside and do something myself
Old 08-10-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Quote:
Originally Posted by smOkin View Post
you'd be better off doing more shorter runs, ie 5k than smashing in 10,12,15k'ers because the longer runs give your joints inparticular quite a hammering and you don't want to be off injured.
Good Luck!
Funny you say that

I ran 12km with James today for charity, not just a standard 12km however, as this was the Mens Health 'survival of the fittest' race, and involved wading through cold water, crawling through mud, and climbing over mad obstacles. It was tough, and I feel knackered now.

We're raising money for memory loss this time, so if you get chance please sponsor us through just giving - it's easier than ever now as you can donate by text, ace! Just TEXT: "OOFC61 £2" to "70070" to DONATE £2 . It's to help people with memory loss.

Or visit http://www.justgiving.com/robinhoodwarriors to donate online, and help people with memory problems.

Blaggage over

Well done to everyone else putting in the effort, keep up the good work.

Old 16-10-2011

So a small update.. 5weeks in, lost 3.5kg (just over 100, but I'd duck under with a good toilet stop!), gone in two holes on the belt, and the trousers are loose. Feel great too, less tired, and just generally have more oomph!! Colleagues are starting to to notice a difference, just got to keep on it now.
Although do have a nigling thigh strain, so staying off the running for a few days and keeping the leg strapped up and cool as a precaution.
Old 05-12-2011

So, just to bring this back to life a little... yesterday was the big race...

Far surpassed my expectations, did the 21km in 2hrs 1minute... completely destroying my PB in the process (took almost 15minutes out of it!). Can honestly say I was pretty emmotional when i crossed the line, never done anything quite like it before, and very proud. Given 3months back I could hardly run 2K at all, well... I'm stoked!
Properly got the bug to do it again as well. Something pretty amazing about running down The Bund in Shanghai with 5,000 other people in the morning. Also going to look into triathlons as well...
Oh, and also now at 94Kg (so hit that target as well!)... although along with my training partner and some work colleagues, did our best to undo the hard work as a reward. Still, 21bottles of champagne (1 for each km), between 8 of us, in 3hours, say no more except.... fuzzzy head today!