Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 01-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Default Car Insurance claim advice.

****ing Badger ran out on me tonight, surprisingly wasn't there when I went back though I dare say he's not happy right now. On getting home nor am I, the bumper is cracked 1/2 way up, \\daytime running light, fog light surround all mashed / missing. At the risk of stating what I assume is obvious this is going to total enough that it's a no brainer to claim on insurance?

16 years of driving I've never had to make an insurance claim, any advice on general process, things to do / avoid, any advice appreciated.

2010 Skoda Octavia VRS for info.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 01-09-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I wouldn't assume it's a no brainier to claim Dan. I'd try and get a quote before you make that call. Trouble is, you probably want to be quick so as not to leave it late.

The problem you have, is you'll have to pay your excess, and deal with the fact that a claim will put your premium of for anywhere up to the next 5 years.
Old 01-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan you'll be better just sucking it up and paying for the damage to be repaired unfortunately. I'd not bother claiming at all in this case. Your renewal will be through the roof, you'll have had a "claim" in the last 5 years, so will carry it forwards, and you'll loose at least 2 years no claims bonus.

Just pay to have the damage repaired.

Also, you are free to select who does the repair work, rather than their choice, which may not be to the standard you'd expect.

Got any photos of the damage? sounds to me like it'll be much cheaper to fix yourself.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Before you contact the insurance because once you have they log it against you anyway as a no claim accident give this fella on ebay a ring.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/eurosmartd...53.m2749.l2654

Looks like at the moment he doesn't have your bumper in stock but he may be able to get it for you.
I got a painted bumper for my daughters fiesta for £170 and a local garage fitted it for £50 you could probably fit it yourself. The excess would have cost her £250 so it saved money and the insurance cant sting her for the next five years.
The bumper was a really good quality well painted with a couple of small bottles of paint and laquer to match for any stone chips. The paint match was brilliant and 2 years on still looks great.
Old 02-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150902_072049nb.jpg (245.6 KB, 80 views)

Nortech is ACE!
Old 02-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan, search for parts/ replacement bumper and do it yourself, or get a recommended bodyshop or garage to do it.
Really don't bother claiming for that damage. It will cost you much more with a claim, unfortunately.

Try http://www.motorhog.co.uk/ and cooper bridge in Huddersfield.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-09-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

don't claim before you go and see a good local repair shop

I bump my car loads, I should know.
Old 02-09-2015

Dan,

I had something like this after an altercation with a fox. Way cheaper to find parts at a breakers and sort yourself.

Used these guys before, very good operation - this car might help with the foglight parts?

http://www.hills-motors.co.uk/breake...octavia///5114

Cheers,
Pete
Old 02-09-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

I had a claim a few years ago. I had around 20 years of no claims driving. My no claims bonus went down to 6 years and didn't really notice the extra costs when renewed.
Old 02-09-2015

All depends on the cost of repair.....get a quote from your local body shop first.
Then....how much is your excess.? Big consideration.! If repair costs £500 and you have a £250 excess it is not worth making a claim for the £250 difference.
Do you have a "protected" no claim bonus, if so ,you can usually make one claim a year without penalty.
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 02-09-2015
Super Moderator

The old 'a badger ran out in front of me' story again......
Didn't Ben try that with his dad a few years ago?

G
Old 02-09-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
The old 'a badger ran out in front of me' story again......
Didn't Ben try that with his dad a few years ago?

G
Hard core badger left some bad ass wall like scratches....
Old 02-09-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

To go through a good body shop with parts to repair that is estimate around 500 for parts paint vat and labour.

If you can source second hand part you may still need a bumper paint, but you should be able to fit it all your self.
Old 02-09-2015
Super Moderator

Yeah, it looks like it was quite a "hard" badger

G
Old 03-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Thanks for advice, you're right that the scratches on the upper part of the bumper went a badger, someone 'rubbed' it when parked on the corner space of a car park ��

I was quoted £200 just for the paint on that which only due to the baby I have got round to having done. If this had happened after that had been fixed on same corner I'd be gutted.

Excess is £250 but no claims cut down to 3 years. Will try to source first but not got any time at the moment hence virtual racing retirement ��

Nortech is ACE!
Old 03-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sounds like you've ended up with a car like mine Dan that's cursed by a previous owner or something, some dopey girl who wasn't paying attention bumped into me last Friday and bent my rear wheel arch

As per what everyone else has said I'd look into repairing it yourself, find yourself a car at a scrappers or something that someone has reversed into a "badger" () and have the front bumper off that, it'll only be a few bolts to fit. Expect a £2-300 paint bill if you get it professionally done.
Old 03-09-2015

As previous answers this is 100% get repaired yourself.

Google 'skoda breakers' for parts, you might even get lucky and find a bumper in the right colour.

If not ring around body shops; for cash you should be able to get a bumper painted for a little over £100.

Try GSF parts too for aftermarket alternatives to parts like the fog light, I've no qualms about using them on anything I drive that is out of warranty, quality is great. Though looking at pics I'm not sure the actual light is damaged?
Old 06-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Thanks again.

Stripper it all off today, need the bumper, running light and mount, could be worse. Emailed about 10 breaker sites hopefully something will turn up, assume it will have to be painted but that's OK.

Fingers crossed.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-09-2015

Have you tried e-bay £25 bin upto £200+
Old 07-09-2015
Mad Member

You lot must have some cheapskate insurers.
Neither of my two "at fault" claims have resulted in an increase in premiums. Neither did having the car keyed/one side resprayed.

TBH they've all been significant drops as well, staying with the same insurer or changing insurer made very little difference either.