Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 18-08-2019

Kyosho chain adapted sprockets designed , printed and tested , its a complete car !

I had a spare Kyosho chain so this was inevitable , fits well even through the chain guide , I've not checked if the chain guard on the side of the gearbox fits but it won't take much to adapt it .
Old 19-08-2019

I had some minor teething trouble with the gearbox design yesterday but its been simply rectified , I have a new version of the body printing as well .
I'm hoping to get some video later but its a typical British summer day , light drizzle and overcast ....
Old 19-08-2019

New body , first picture is just as it finishes still on the print bed .

Uncut

And fitted

Old 19-08-2019
Mad Member

amazing work chief well done sir
Old 21-08-2019

I finally got some video footage , also had my first part failure , both front suspension top arms cracked at the inner rear mounting , those parts are some of the last parts on the car that are still made of PETG , its flexible but can crack or shatter on impact , not sure weather to print a new set in ABS or Nylon .I also drew up and printed a wing and wing mounts in TPU .

https://youtu.be/JScW4EZ4YZI
https://youtu.be/o_sKjx9SKao

Last edited by Dadio; 21-08-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 21-08-2019

First reinforced top arm , I've made it so i no longer need a nut but the crew taps into the rear pivot , its made of nylon as well so much more impact resistant .

Old 21-08-2019

Awesome work mate !

as i am planning on a retro online museum for many older iconic cars and wanted to include a lot of self created (and tested in Model and used in driving) 3D parts i want to ask you whether it is possible to get some CAD Data from you to add it to the rest of the lineup. STEP format would be preferred as my solidworks machine easily accepts that format - IGES would be ideal too - beneath SLDPRT Data (wich is native solidworks data) of course .

All other data like STP, 3DS a.s.o. do not really allow changes - and some small changes here and there are quite helpful - especially as my own 834 B might need some part from time to time.

Any chance you might share the CAD Data set with all of us ?
Old 21-08-2019

At some point in the near future it should be on Shapeways , I'm not releasing the files into the wild at the moment ,sorry but it represents quite a chunk of work .
Old 24-08-2019

Fully Nylon front suspension and TPU body , the PLA body started cracking and it rattled something awful so made the new one in TPU a flexible plastic , sorry about the colour its all i had .

Old 25-08-2019

Oops , looks like another part needs the nylon treatment , this broke landing a jump Next month I'll get some carbon fill nylon , its easier to print as it warps less , its more rigid and its black so its going to look right as well.
Old 26-08-2019

Just free hand , I've never seen in the flesh the real parts and i adapted it a bit , the trailing arms to mach are on their way.

it surprising how much it reduces play in the rear arms , i used a nut and bolt through the arms and bearings not just a rod and having slight tension through the axis takes away all the wobble .
If anybody has the real Delta Desert conversion and could give me three measurements i could make it closer to original shape .
1 the overall height from the chassis to the top of the shock mounting beam
2 the height from the chassis to the top of the trailing arm pivot housings
3 the width of the top shock mounting beam at its widest point where the shocks mount
I'd be very grateful and you should be able to measure these points without taking anything apart .
Old 07-09-2019

The first few carbon fiber fill nylon parts are rolling off , the first prints were not so good as even out of the sealed bag brand new the filament was damp and needed drying , after drying the results are stunning .
these front arms were printed before i dried the filament and needed a lot of clean up .

this rear arm is after drying and as it came off the print bed with no clean up , its stunning !

Old 15-09-2019

I went back to the plain nylon c hubs and i think that's working better . I got dogged off with the constant failure of the one way roller bearings in the front drive hubs so i drew up and printed some direct drive ones instead .

Also printed up a CF nylon front bulkhead , shown next to the plain nylon one .

Had a couple more runs today and the gears are still going strong , should have time for another run later .
Its quite a learning curve working out what material to use where , the C hubs and chain sprockets are better in the plain nylon , suspension arms ,gears and gearbox in CF nylon , top deck / chain guide ,battery tray and wheels are all fine in ABS and just the rear chain guide in PLA .
These are my experiences anyway but it adds to the complexity when selling parts , if its a car that's going to get used a little , raced or displayed you might want different quality parts .... more to think about .
Old 19-09-2019

Wish this lot was all genuine , its all development parts . I'm not obsessed :shock:
Old 07-10-2019

Nice to see your project being posted here as well, and not just on RCG.
Old 07-10-2019
Awesome Admin

Loving the development mate well done, I’m just not that confident in printed parts especially arms I’ve seen parts fail miserably time and time again. I know it’ll get there imoh it’s just not quite there yet.
Old 07-10-2019

The Carbon Fibre nylon parts are a lot stronger , so far I've yet to brake a suspension arm or trailing arm printed in CF nylon ,with PLA parts brake easily , with PET-G they still brake ,ABS is a lot better , plain nylon is very string however its quite flexible but CF nylon is as strong as regular nylon but much stiffer and may be something you've not seen used as you need much higher temperatures and more expensive equipment to print it , I have had some trouble with C hubs but I think I have it now making them in plain nylon and at a higher temperature plus Pargu Store sell CNC alloy C hubs so there is a ready option , but that's the only suspension component that I've had trouble with , I'm not driving it like a Traxxas Slash at the skate park though as the original car wouldn't take that either but I'm jumping it on a grass track with the occasional cartwheel and crash , I'm driving it way harder than my genuine Yoke though ! That's kind of the point .
This will probably need a tweak to the gearbox to make it fit , possibly a dedicated gearbox that's adapted around the bearing supports , for those who don't recognize it it's a Scorpion diff with a 3D printed interlocking ring gear that matches the 834b gearbox

The genuine yokomo diff is hard to find , this should mean completing the gearbox is a lot easier and cheaper .

Last edited by Dadio; 07-10-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2019

I made some slight modifications to the gearbox today and the Kyosho diff will fit , the other up side is it should make dog bones easier to find , the stock Yokomo ones are asymmetric , they have larger balls on the inner end than the outer and the outer end is the same as a Scorpion , a very stock size so its just a matter of finding the right length .
Old 09-10-2019

Diff fitted

This shows the bearing adapter and how its fitted

Whole diff fitted

This is all untested , I'm printing a revised gearbox that will be hopefully the final production version compatible with both Diffs and then I'll put that gearbox into testing .... never ending test drives , to be forced to constantly drive rc cars , I'm really sacrificing here guys !
Also drew up plans for a jig to drill the holes in the gear 2 axle for the drive pin and set screw for the chain sprocket .
Old 09-10-2019
Awesome Admin

Loving it mate, I ran mine at the Banzi challenge and it was making some awful noises in the final and it’s just sat in the garage since