Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 23-08-2012
Thieving scumbag

Default mardave vs superstocks

simple whats faster round the track? i like to be a little different so was wandering if a dave can really keep up?
Old 23-08-2012

most good set up daves are faster less to play around and change on a dave not as fiddly as the schumacher
Old 23-08-2012

The Schumacher has so many things to get wrong with set up. The mardave works straight out of the box.
Old 23-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Dransfield View Post
The mardave works straight out of the box.
i should hope so, they've had 20 + yrs to get it right..

you got to admit though, the supastox has brought more drivers to the class..

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 23-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Dransfield View Post
The Schumacher has so many things to get wrong with set up. The mardave works straight out of the box.
That's odd, because my supastox worked straight out of the box, and beat many mardave owners cars first time out. It caused a stirr, as did Bally's when he raced it for the first time at Sherburn, TQ'd and won the A, possibly the debut supastox run the day after the car went on sale . Lots of mardave owners switched right away, when they saw how well they run out of the box...
The mardave build quality leaves a lot to be desired, and they have been selling the same stuff for many years, stalling progress. The supastox will force them to change, for the better i hope. Of course a well setup mardave will be super competative with the right driver, as will an equivilent well setup supastox... badly setup cars from each of them will be bad!
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 23-08-2012

90% of set up is tyres 10% driver lol my dave is now on rails 35 shore rear 42 shore front and supa stox 32 rear and 60 front must be loosing so much front end if having to run that hard?
Old 23-08-2012

well i am using one orange and one white supa stox o ring for thew front supension instead of springs lol
Old 24-08-2012

The cars are quite different but both are quick but each have traits that make them slightly better than the other in vairing situations.
The Mardave is actually a longer wheelbase than the superstox making the Dave more stable in high speed corners and less prone to scrubbing speed however the superstox will then be quicker around a tight infield with tyre choice being different for each car. The superstox tends to favour 50-60 fronts with the Dave running softer Fronts to achieve a comparible turn in.
The diffs of both cars are even if and this is a huge if, they are built correctly with the Mardave diff needing to be clearenced correctly to get a smooth action.
The Mardave has fewer set up variables which make it easier to get the best from especially for a beginner in an apparently beginner orientated class.
Again that said the superstox can be tweaked to work in anyway a track may demand but the ability to know what you need and what the car needs to be drivable and fast is not a skill many long time racers have let alone a newbie.

As someone said above, get the Tyres right and you are going to be there or thereabouts.
Both cars are now well made and competitive products and in the right hands either can win.
Old 25-08-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
That's odd, because my supastox worked straight out of the box, and beat many mardave owners cars first time out. It caused a stirr, as did Bally's when he raced it for the first time at Sherburn, TQ'd and won the A, possibly the debut supastox run the day after the car went on sale . Lots of mardave owners switched right away, when they saw how well they run out of the box...
The mardave build quality leaves a lot to be desired, and they have been selling the same stuff for many years, stalling progress. The supastox will force them to change, for the better i hope. Of course a well setup mardave will be super competative with the right driver, as will an equivilent well setup supastox... badly setup cars from each of them will be bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMO WEF View Post
The cars are quite different but both are quick but each have traits that make them slightly better than the other in vairing situations.
The Mardave is actually a longer wheelbase than the superstox making the Dave more stable in high speed corners and less prone to scrubbing speed however the superstox will then be quicker around a tight infield with tyre choice being different for each car. The superstox tends to favour 50-60 fronts with the Dave running softer Fronts to achieve a comparible turn in.
The diffs of both cars are even if and this is a huge if, they are built correctly with the Mardave diff needing to be clearenced correctly to get a smooth action.
The Mardave has fewer set up variables which make it easier to get the best from especially for a beginner in an apparently beginner orientated class.
Again that said the superstox can be tweaked to work in anyway a track may demand but the ability to know what you need and what the car needs to be drivable and fast is not a skill many long time racers have let alone a newbie.

As someone said above, get the Tyres right and you are going to be there or thereabouts.
Both cars are now well made and competitive products and in the right hands either can win.
agree mine was cock on out of the box and has been, at my local club mauny saw mine and now dumped thier daves for schumacher, both cars are good the dave seems to suit the begineers/drivers with less set up knowledge, due to being the basic of the two
Old 04-10-2012

The fastest at our club at the moment is a mardave, but the supastox aren't far off the pace. I've been thinking of racing in the gt12 class as most of the people I raced with have bought supastox, but I'm leaning more towards a mardave as they seam a lot simpler to get set up and going well
TA04R,
TA02
TRF 416X,
TRF 502X
Tamiya group c
B2,
LOSI XXX4,
PRED X10
Tenth Tech Streetwise
3 Racing F109
MST MS-01 D
MST XXX VIP
Mardave V12 cec
Mardave v12 Sam Gray edition
Yokomo YRF2 SP
Yokomo DRB hyper ssg
Old 04-10-2012

The fastest at my 2 local clubs are Mardave, i think that is more to do with the drivers tho.

I like my mardave, i think in my hands i would not know the difference between the two cars.
Old 04-10-2012

Built my SSS last week as per instructions. Its fantastically quick and handles like a dream. As have some other 1/12th scale drivers at my club.
The previous weeks I've run an older Mardave, and have had no end of problems, but it wasn't new so was probably tweaked.
Old 04-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Here's the top two drivers in TRCC going head to head in a heat

As you can see the Dave just has it. But if they swapped cars which one would be top then?

Driven both and prefer the Mardave. But that could change
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSS v Dave.jpg (220.8 KB, 63 views)
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 04-10-2012

I run a Mardave but another top driver at our club changed to a Supastox and went a lot quicker with it. The front end on the Schumacher is significantly better in all respects, especially impact resistance. Amazingly, the SS is also a lot cheaper spec-for-spec. I'm not convinced that the SS is a lot more complex, the subtleties of the Mardave tuning are just less obvious and I'd say actually more difficult to get to grips with.
Old 04-10-2012
Mad Member

Built my Mardave out of the box (using a bit of my long 12th experience, I admit) and it's just down to finding tyres that work for me. One kit, one £7 spring set, one diff and it's good to go. Raced at the Club last week and was bumper to bumper with someone who had built a Supastox out of the box, fiddled with the O rings and added a diff. Not much in it in our view.

I think we'll both find subtleties in tuning the cars up - which pan car doesn't have its hidden gems that you find and keep to yourself while you're waiting for others to catch up! Pan cars are all tuned differently to suit the driver, and one person's oversteering monster is another's understeering pig!

IMHO a SupaStox is easier to build and get running for those who haven't run pan cars before, and the Mardave is the more interesting to run and race as it has more tuning options and is ride-height adjustable. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

One is not better than the other, but the GT12 class is one of the best pan car classes.
Old 08-10-2012

from experience it was always the front end letting my mardave down, anyone tried putting the schumacher front end on a chassis with the mardave rear yet?? would it fit in with the gt12 rules?? could be interesting as the mardave back end it just so simple and does work quite well
Old 08-10-2012
Mad Member

Here you go - page 4 for the car, page 5 for the 'legality' bit. HTH

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...=107755&page=4
Old 08-10-2012

running ss on friday and dave on sat, i found with the ss i had to much steering while dave i was trying to add more...

also the ss diff in the mardave helped a ton, much more planted, think thats due to the extra 5mm