Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 26-10-2009

Default Help with some non-racing electrics

Hi everyone,

Greetings and respects to all.

Health reasons sadly prevent me from racing but I am eagerly hoping to build one of the next batches of Durangos, and just ‘race’ it around the lawns and paths of my home.

My interest in rc cars was recently re-awakened by Tamiya’s Buggy Champ re-release, having built one of the originals in 1979.

To the re-re I fitted an Orion 19Turn motor together with a Novak GTX and a Spektrum DC3S radio system. But found at the modest speeds I use (typically 8MPH or so for periods of 20-30 minutes, with the odd burst up to 20MPH) the GTX would get very hot and needed fitting a large heat sink on top of the existing one.

So my concern with the Durango is that if I fit it with best quality electronics which it deserves, say the Tekin RS Pro and Redline motor or something similar, even with the TX’s throttle travel set to 50% will the esc overheat if not running flat out all the time?

I have thought about using the Durango’s chassis as a heat sink and if I could thermally couple a metal clad esc such as the GM Genius to it. But there doesn’t seem an obvious answer as everything is of course biased towards all out racing

Perhaps it is just getting the esc set up correctly and the motor gearing right, but I just don’t know - but perhaps someone might be able to help.

Many thanks for any comments or suggestions in advance.

Cheers

Gino
Old 26-10-2009
Mad Member

If you don't need speed, just run a very soft motor. 17.5 (or even slower) will be fine for pootling around your garden, and won't look out of place in the car, and won't need any odd solutions to keep it from throwing a fit at the slow speed running.

Better to run the right motor for the conditions than use the ESC or radio to artificially slow it down.
Old 26-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

RS Pro won't get hot, nor will the motor, just ensure the ESC is set correctly, and it should be happy to do that all day.
Old 26-10-2009
Mad Member

Brushless ESC's no longer have the trouble brushed speedos had when running partial speed. You can turn down the throttle by however much you like and not worry about overheating.

Brushless will overheat if you gear them wrong though. Only difference to brushed is they will overheat if geared too low as well.

If you're worried about going too quick why not use a slower motor and run it full instead of using something faster and turning it down by 50%?
Old 26-10-2009
Super Moderator

Most people ran 10.5's or similar at the EBOR24 24 hour race last year for 24 hours!

G
Old 27-10-2009

Thanks Guys,

It seems I need not worry too much, use the RS Pro (if I can find one) and just not use a too rabid motor.

Soon I shall be master of all I survey - in the garden of course.

Thanks again,

Gino