Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff > TamTech-Gear

Old 12-01-2008
Mad Member

Default Croc is rolling

The rolling chassis is ... rolling!

Very easy build, typical of Tamiya.

The Aeration shocks - very high quality BUT... the standard o-rings completely bind the shock shaft so they have to be rebuilt using the low friction o-rings from Tamiya (part #40530). Once the low friction o-rings are in (with a bit of shock slime) you have to cut quite a lot of coils from the springs. Buttery smooth! I have also removed some of the internal limiters on the front shocks to give more droop. They are super easy to bleed and build bubble free! But if I was buying again I would not waste my money on these and simply get some 3Racing Mini-t shocks.

Also - the Hitec HS-85MG servo fits straight in by cutting about 1mm of the tabs each side and it's also a direct fit to the included servo horn.

My 4100kv motor has not arrived yet so for the moment it has a Tekin 6.9 in as a place holder.

Old 12-01-2008

i feel like a perv just looking at it..it's that sexc
but with that alloy the tekin may be tamed
Old 12-01-2008

what is it old school re release or something new
Old 12-01-2008
Mad Member

Well the original Tamiya of this style was10th. These beauts are Micro! 1/16th scale so quite alot smaller than the 10th The GB-01 has been out for a little while now but alot of people have been seeing Jimmys at some of the Micro nationals and been going 'Woow!'. So with a bit of discussion on the UK-MicroRC forum we now have our own 2WD Open class at the next UK-Micro X (March), which is a 1 off event us Microers have every now and then, with the first Micro AGM being called a few weeks after the Micro-X and if everything goes well at this event hopefully we will keep our new 2WD class for next micro winter series So quite a few people have bought the Tamiya GB-01, Mini-t's etc to support the new 2WD class

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 12-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big air View Post
what is it old school re release or something new
As Dan says it's a 1/16th scale new release of the old Desert Gator You can fit any Tamtech off road body on it such as Frog, Hornet, DG, etc.
Old 13-01-2008
Mad Member

Electrics are in and very basic spray can paint job done to start with.

Running it with an 11.1v lipo battery and 6800kv Tekin brushless motor

Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

I raced the car tonight for the first time at Wycombe and all I can say is WOW - it really drives just like a 1/10th scale 2WD buggy! Absolutely amazing.

In my opinion it has incredibly good steering (maybe all the alloy bits has something to do with it), jumps really well and is extremely, EXTREMELY robust (broken nothing all night despite 11.1v power and 6800kv brushless!!). Must get soft compound rear tyres though - the standard compound is OK once grip levels come up but the soft will be better!

There was a Mini-T there as well but unfortunately the guy had servo issues (no saver meant he kept breaking the gears) and so we didn't do a full race together. The Mini-T looked a bit smaller though.

Overall everyone that saw the Tamiya run commented on how well it seemed to go and was very impressed with lots of 'I can't believe how good it is and it's a Tamiya!' comments.

I was unsure about the 11.1v and 6800kv combo but it seemed very well suited to the car. I didn't once feel it was over powered. I'm going to fit the 4100kv for comparison anyway and will report back. I think the higher voltage theory has really proved itself tonight as the motor got barely warm and I felt I had good controllable power low down with none of the usuall stuttering at very low speed. Probably partly due to the fact that you can't hammer the 2WD as hard as a 4WD but still, very well suited.

As for all the alloy bits - I actually think this is one car that does really well with all the alloy bits as it adds a bit of weight which is no bad thing! Ready to race with all the alloy bits and the whole lot - 653gr - heavier than a RC18 and lighter than my Blaze. But, do you really need them - no, I don't think so - I recon all you really 'need' is the 3Racing steering assembly, maybe the front knuckles and c-hubs and then lastly nice oil shocks (and I don't recommend the Tamiya Aeration shocks as they are weird seem to work ok but they don't feel too good on the bench bounce test).

I am sold on 2WD micro racing - it is so rewarding to drive. It's totally different to 4WD driving (no surprise there ) and you have to think about your driving and be really smooth especially mid corner - no over revving or braking or even taking your finger off the throttle! Lots and lots of fun
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the car looks ace mate, very good indeed!

how many were there last night, wycombe would be my local club, I work here during the week, I might have to bring my RC18 for a blast around
Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

Chris, you should absolutely come along mate! Most Monday nights we now get closer to 10 people so we run 2-3 heats. We even had 3 volunteer marshalls show up last night. They didn't drive, they just marshalled all night! Most people run RC18/Exotek's and some run Blaze's with a couple of 2WD's now starting to show up. Don't know if you know the club but it's a permanent venue so the track/tables/chairs/power points are all there ready in place.

Wycombe changes the track layout once a month to keep it fresh and there are pre-made wooden jumps (and we have some big and scary as well as slow and technical ones), a wall ride, a corner box jump thing that folds up and hangs on the wall.

A really good facility (toilets, coffee/tea - but you have to wash up your own cups ......, central heating, etc.), very relaxed atmosphere and you get loads of track time inbetween races as well. You can litteraly drive for as long as you have batteries that have power in them!
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have been to wycombe a few times a little while ago.

I think I need to get my kit together and come back.
Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

Aah, so you know it well then

A couple of people are on holiday over the next 2 weeks so next Monday night might be a bit thin on the ground but I am sure there will still be people there. Back to normal numbers starting Feb I think.
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I might bring my B4 along for a blast around the track in between.

I will see if I can get my kit together.
Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

I had my B44 around the track a couple of times a while back but it was hard work Maybe you can show me how it should be done properly
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I wonder if they would put on a heat for 10th scale?

its mega tight, I had a bit of a race around with a 10th snoring car, that was tight!

how were the jumps for your B44?
Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

We didn't have jumps on the track that day so I didn't try it with jumps but I recon they should be just fine. We started looking into getting a bit more creative last night by building a cross over jump which worked quite well but not everyone was super keen as the landing was a bit dodgy and if you came up short you would slam into the wooden barrier and break something. I thought it was a good incentive to make the gap but everyone didn't agree

I'm not sure if anyone would be up for a 10th heat, definitely worth checking! I have a B44, Rob has a B3 and if you come along then there are 3 of us (possibly more).
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I started going down there when the mini-T just came out, we made some amazing ramps from flexible board and stuff.

I have a video of us doing some freestyle mini-t tricks, like 180 half pipe, jump the gap wall rides, spine ramps for backflips, it was very good.

I do agree with having a track that anybody car race on that is safe. but there should be some things that people can have fun with.

do you go down every monday?
Old 15-01-2008
Mad Member

Yep, every Monday evening starting 7pm (work permitting) and some Saturday evenings with my boy (wife permitting).

I see so many people complain about jumps being too big, too high, too this and that but in most cases it's simply a bit of practise and if people don't practise then they'll never get good at it so I am always encouraging the lot at Wycombe to try stuff out as I want to challenge myself and don't get the opportunity enough.

I took some BIG skate ramps in which are there (they should be awesome with a 1/10th!) but so far the 18th scale lot have not been too keen to try them. I'm working on them though and the are slowly coming around to my kind of thinking

Which reminds me, I need to go and buy some lino so we can have some drift sections as well!
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

sounds like fun, I will ramp anything
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Doughty racing in the winter!!! what is the world coming to
Old 15-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I know, its very rare! but don't worry, its not actually happened yet!