Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > South Africa

Old 07-02-2009

Default DRCCC - The New Home of 1/10 EP Racing in PE

That's right guys, we have started a new club in PE on some really old tennis courts. It's been a long 5 months of searching, organising, planning, work parties, meetings, etc, etc.

Below is a pic of how the venue looked when we got it, I will post pics of what it looks like now another time. We are still not finished completely, a topping still needs to be put down and remarked and painted, and we still need stairs for the driverstand. But we at least have a venue where we can race and have some fun for now. It's marked out, they put the piping down yesterday, and we have a container with a stainless steel railing. The end vision is still a way off, but once the funds come in next year we can carry on and get it done 100%.

Track Layout - Approx 240m long and 4m wide with the pace corners being a bit wider. Lots of cut out options to vary the layout for different classes.

There are a few "QUITE" technical spots that catch you out, but it flows awesome. We took away some of the pipes as it was breaking cars and replaced it with curbs and they are working out perfectly.

Here are more pics of what it looks like today, still a bit to do before the first race day on 18th Jan, but we'll get there. It's an awesome surface just as it is, all cracked up. But with a bit of sugar water it gets even better. The guys are doing 18 - 20sec mod times, 22 - 25sec superstock and 28 - 30sec TT01 times. You can ride rubber or foam, both work well, the rubber makes the ass a bit loose, foams give you plenty steering, so the choice is yours depending on how you set the car up.

And here's Ray doing the "sugar" thing. You can also see the pipes on the corners before we replaced them.

Here are some pics from our first race day (mini national). ENJOY!!

Packed to capacity.

Some early practice runs

Team Thinus's Pit Area

Oom Danie checking things out.

The better halves checking out the action

Team BRCCC Pit Area
Old 07-02-2009

Team Christo & Co Pit Area

Drivers Briefing

Christo getting serious

The Racers & their Rides

Some Fancy Shells

First heat under starters orders

Coming up to finish their first lap

The concentration

There was plenty of action to be seen for the spectators

Oom Danie doing his thing for the hungry mouths, thanks oom Danie.

Another TT class under starters orders

And they're off

George taking a bit of a tumble

Not once, but twice, and in the same spot

Bradley's Porshe taking a wide line

Edward hard at work

The Official Club Logo and our LHS Logo

Well, what a day it was. We had an excellent turnout of racers and loads of spectators. Lets hope it goes from strength to strength.
Thanks to all who made it possible.
Old 07-02-2009

Well done, you guys has done I good job. I use to race in Pietersburg - quite a while ago, bofore moving to the UK....
Old 07-02-2009

Thanks, still a few things needed to be done then we'll be completely sorted. Will post updates here as we go along.
Old 24-09-2010

OK, it's been a while since I've logged on to oople. Alot has changed since then. I've moved towns and with that obviously clubs too. But that's another thread all on it's own.

I thought I would post some updated pics to show what all has transpired at drccc since our first event way back when.

Enjoy!!

This is a photoshopped pic of what we wanted to achieve with resurfacing the track.

Here's the start.

Some progress pics, 3 layers were put down to cover up the cracks.

The end result.

Here are some links to more pics of what it looks like today.

http://oneten.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15767
http://oneten.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15776
http://oneten.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15797
Old 09-01-2011

Ok, a bit of an update on the finished track.

We organised a coastal cup challenge in Nov '09, and my current club made a trip up the coast to participate in the event. I must say, being one of the founders and knowing what I left behind and the incompleted vision I had, I was hugely impressed with the final developements that took place before the event to finish the track off. Below I will post pics of it when I left and what was achieved for the event. Truly amazing stuff. If you ever travel to SA and visit the friendly city of Port Elizabeth, go find this venue and have a look see, you wont be dissapointed.

Here I am doing one of my last "duties" before I got transfered.

Busy being remarked and bariers being put up. We opted to go back to piping as the webbing didn't work out.

At our first event after resurfacing.

Here it is in all it's completed glory.