Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > HoBao

Old 16-02-2013
Mad Member

Default Hyper H2 - how are people finding it on carpet?

Hi folks, I currently run a TLR22 but am considering changing it for a H2. I mostly run on carpet and was wondering how well it performs on such tracks, particularly compared to the Team-C TC02C (the other car im interested in)

Any feedback/advice would be much welcome
Old 16-02-2013

I have both the team c and the Hobao and I would say the Hobao is faster but the team c is easier to drive and easier to set up.
Old 17-02-2013

I also own both and would agree with Adey.
The tc02c is very easy to drive and set up and I've been very quick with it at times but I think the Hobao is quicker if you can set it up and drive it right.

I don't think the set up is as tough as a Durango for example but its defo less forgiving to drive than the TC02C.

The main plus for me is that the Hobao changes direction quicker than the team c so that helps on tight indoors carpet based tracks.

Is a tough call from a driving perspective, but the Hobao wins hands down on value for money, aluminium chassis, aluminium pivot blocks, big bore shocks, mid and rear motor options, gear diff, all superior to the team c and all for 135 quid, now that's awesome!

Associated B5M, Team C TC02C, Team Durango DEX410v3
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

Cheers for your advice guys - I'm now sold! I have driven the TC02c and found it really forgiving to drive, but I have grown to like the big bores, aluminium chassis and indestructability of the TLR22 has!

Is the H2 more forgiving than the tlr? - as much as I love the tlr I've often struggles to strike a good balance between aggression and forgiving.
Old 17-02-2013

I've not driven a 22 so I can't help but Adey has also had one of those so he may be able to help on that. Adey?

Associated B5M, Team C TC02C, Team Durango DEX410v3
Old 17-02-2013

In regards to the 22. In my view its clear that the h2 is very similar in pretty much every way. I like the h2's more conventional steering arrangement and I think it has a better motor position. I don't think it's quite as strong as the 22 but look at what you get for the money. I have mine going very well but then again my team c tc02c is going very well also. The h2 well worth a look especially if you are on a budget.
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

Well I definitely think its worth a punt so have ordered one - will let you know when it arrives.
I always felt the 22 was let down by the mid-motor position and its great to see Hobao have addressed it. There was one at my local club a few weeks ago and looked pretty cool. Cheers for all your advice
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

I've also ordered some extra losi springs, looks like I'll need them for the rear.
Old 18-02-2013

I ran mine for two and a half rounds yesterday and after 5 laps in round 2 my lap times started to tumble. I didn't run it in round 1 as I was finding it way to slippery for mid at kidderminster and ran the rear motor ansmann
I didn't have my TC02C with me yesterday but the H2 definately felt more agile and a small bit of tuning with weight distribution really helped for round 3.
Just too many driver mistakes. But it does feel a fast car and felt fairly forgiving to me in my, sorry, Jasons set up.
Round 4 and the final the front wheel fell off. It had done it 3 times during the day so either a duff hub or plenty of loctite needed.

Springs get losi yellow & pink rear and blue & black front. I have a mixture of those and the AE equivalents.
Have fun.
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

[QUOTE=adon30;747202

Springs get losi yellow & pink rear and blue & black front. [/QUOTE]

The yellow rear springs actually come with the 22 kit - only problem is I can only find one of them.

Sounds like you had a good day, apart from that dratted wheel!
Old 18-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to jasonrcb

I cant really comment to much on yesterday,being as sick as a dog and not really feeling like racing i let my car down badly,the positive that i can take was kidderminster is possibly my least favourite venue and i couldnt buy a good day there, i felt the car was really good and easy to drive,handled well and had plenty more to give but as i said i failed the car,i drove 3 seasons for ansmann and from the 3 meetings i have had with the h2 i wouldnt swap back
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
Sounds like you had a good day, apart from that dratted wheel!
The good part was I found one of the screws!! (out of 3)

I don't think the stainless screws (even with loctite) are much use as they don't seem to bite as well as the black steel screws (however I lost that one). The only flanged screws I can find are all stainless as well and fiddling with a washer is a pain.

Any recommendations as to which loctite? It's either an alloy or aluminium hub.
I need to have a closer look at the hex thread as well in case it's a duff one as it was always the same wheel regardless how tight I did it.
Old 18-02-2013

A mate of mine broke 2 drive shafts yesterday ,same side same place [drive pin ] they do look a little brittle, any one else had a problem,
Old 19-02-2013
Mad Member

Well it arrived today at my trusted LHS. Im really impressed with it (90% built so far).

Things I like:
- Quality of materials. It doesn't feel like a £140 car
- Ease of assembling the turnbuckles (the TLR22 ones were a feckin nightmare!)
- The slipper adjustment - nifty
- The flexability of being able to run rear/mid in both 3 & 4 gear configurations

Things I dislike:

- THE ******* INSTRUCTION MANUAL!!!!!. I very nearly built it mid motor, with 3 gears and the motor facing the wrong way. Whilst the rear motor instructions were quite detailed, you can tell they rushed to draw a separate instruction sheet for mid motor. Very nearly missed a couple of screws/spacers that were not mentioned.

Can't wait to get it on the track though
Old 19-02-2013

been running the h2 for a few weeks now on carpet and trying different set ups but still suffering from under steer! using losi springs front and rear,tyres mini pin rear and staggers on front,tried mini pins on the front and ended up with over steer! going to try the car on foams on the weekend has anyone else tried this yet? my son is also running a h2 so far he has only bent a driveshaft not broken one,also i have had the same problem with the front wheels,happened three times at one meeting! solved with a dab of loctite!
Old 20-02-2013
Mad Member

Losi 22 front wheels screws is what I use since my one only wheel dismount, no threadlock. And all good so far with a wheel check before each race

If you have any old 5x4x10mm bearings then get the center from them as a crush tube in the rear hubs, 5mm id 4mm wide, it might help with the drive shafts.
but Schumacher sv2 66.5mm long shafts fit with a little demmel work at the dogbone end.

I added 30g of weight to the car just to get it over the weight limit and sits at 1500grams with either Schumacher or bb's on.

The above and the hinge mod to lose the e clips is all I have done and the car is awesome.
I can't wait to take it around srcc outdoors on the 10th March.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 28-02-2013

What oil have you found that works best on carpet, front and rear has anyone tried to use the 2 hole pistons or is it 4 hole pistons are best.
Old 28-02-2013

I'm running 35wt up front 4 hole pistons losi blue springs and the shocks laid down as much as I can get them. At the rear I'm running 27.5wt 4 hole pistons opened out to 1.5mm, losi yellow springs, 15g of weight on the rear gearbox casings rear shock mount flipped around and the shocks laid down as much as possible. Schumacher mini pins on the rear tyres and dboots nanobytes up front. It seems to work pretty well for me with this setup, nice easy to drive and more than fast enough around the tight tracks we run at Ayr model car club.

Hobao H2 Pro
Team Associated B4.1 FT
Ko Propo