Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 29-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I agree this is probably the best car out there and if you take away the wishbone the best chassis design by far and as you said easy access to the diffs but the let down is the layshaft slipper design, and hate to say it but was designed by someone who doesnt race or have a clue which is not the way to go.

I got through quite a few spur gears and was a pain to replace whereas if they designed it like the YZ10 where the spur was on the side and the spur could be removed and replaced in twenty seconds and also meshing was simple to do unlike the 511 which I had to give to Kevin Moore to do for me as I just couldnt get it right.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I agree this is probably the best car out there and if you take away the wishbone the best chassis design by far and as you said easy access to the diffs but the let down is the layshaft slipper design, and hate to say it but was designed by someone who doesnt race or have a clue which is not the way to go.

I got through quite a few spur gears and was a pain to replace whereas if they designed it like the YZ10 where the spur was on the side and the spur could be removed and replaced in twenty seconds and also meshing was simple to do unlike the 511 which I had to give to Kevin Moore to do for me as I just couldnt get it right.
Iv'e heard it all now, Tamiya employ a complete idiot to redesign the 501 into the 511 and you had to get Kevin Moore to mesh the gears for you as it is so hard to do....God help me... Have you thought about knitting
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post
Iv'e heard it all now, Tamiya employ a complete idiot to redesign the 501 into the 511 and you had to get Kevin Moore to mesh the gears for you as it is so hard to do....God help me... Have you thought about knitting
knitting has its obstacles too.......a prick could lead to an infection
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoswe View Post
Regarding Lee and the 511 at worlds, he won the practise a final and the car looked awesome, but Lee was 'alone' with his car and setup. Marc and Viktor is great talents but i think in a worlds you would perfer the offroad knowledge from lets say the ae team with 10 top level electric offroad drivers.

Belt is the way to go and Lee did an amazing job!
I agree, its hard to compete when your going against the dream team that is AE, who probally had 20+ guys swapping setups. That's OK because Tamiya is 20 times higher quality, than anything AE has.

I'm a firm believer that belts are faster than shafts (my opinion), I believe shaft is so popular because it allows your drivetrain to be enclosed, where a belt takes takes a little more engineering to enclose it, most arent, Belts are more prone to problems.
Old 29-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post
Lew, you've hit the nail on the head. It's easy to mesh it correctly, and I don't care that it takes 5 minutes to swap the spur. The car works, and thats the end of it.

The XX4 now thats a car that's a nightmare to work on!! If you do a spur or snap a belt at a meeting you had might as well just go home.
Old 29-07-2011

the funny ting is now many people just buy a b44.1 just because it has won an tink its the best for everybody

BZB: The shortest name in rc..

BZB "i just can't, i just can't, i just can't control my feet" 2012 tour!!:

BZB4Holland

BZB4Belgium
Old 29-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

FFS, in the advent of brushless motors, how often do you REALLY need to mesh your motor? It can't be any harder than a DB-01!! Mine is on the original spur gear, meshing isn't that hard either, to be honest!! Picking flaws in a car with maybe only minor blemishes!
Old 29-07-2011

Wrenching and fixing my RC, is fun and part of the addiction. no joke

Difficult spur gear access can be frustrating, but DCM is right,it's not that hard to set-up your gear mesh, the DB01 diffs aren't exactly easy to access either, but I deal with it because I like Tamiya, and let's face it every rc I've owned had something that I felt could be improved. There is no perfect buggy that can please everyone.
Old 29-07-2011

I would like Tamiya to stick with just one 4x4 buggy, like all the other companies due, they have 3 current platforms, 502, 511, and the DB01.
If they could just concentrate on one, I think team tamiya would be better off. otherwise your always second guessing yourself.

Like the worlds, I bet it crossed Lees mind maybe he should of ran the 502?
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleHirano View Post

Like the worlds, I bet it crossed Lees mind maybe he should of ran the 502?
Do not think that. He probably thought he would of wanted more practise time on clay/dirt. He won the warm up after all
Old 29-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleHirano View Post

Does someone make a geared diff for the 511 or DB01r?
Yes, Tamiya
Old 08-08-2011

There have been an awful lot of people trying to sell there 511's on the forum here the last couple of weeks...
Is there something I don't know about? a 511 worlds edition coming out soon?...... Let's hope..
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There's a thread about it on here, 42213 part number!
Old 08-08-2011

TAM42213TamiyaTRF TRF511 (Gear Diff Unit)
Aug. Release

42213 is the geared diff unit due for release this month
Old 08-08-2011
Mad Member

WOOP WOOP I'm a happy chappy !!!
Old 10-08-2011

Best news ever! Now I can stop thinking of buying that Dex410 that I really never wanted. Geardiff dilemma solved.
Old 10-08-2011

whats so good with the gear diff?

BZB4Holland

BZB4Belgium
Old 10-08-2011
Mad Member

On my track the 511 diffs last about 4 runs before they need rebuilding... That's what's good about the geared diffs
Old 11-08-2011

ok tanks, i've never got issieus with the diff so far, tought there was someting else so special about gear diffs

BZB4Holland

BZB4Belgium
Old 23-08-2011

Well judging by the release of hop up parts for the 502x this month, including the new aluminium steering bridge, makes me think tamiya isn't throwing the towel in on the 502x either at the moment..
Let's hope the gear diffs for the 511 isn't one last 'gift' from tamiya and just the start...