Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 23-12-2015

Default vintage cars...old dog new tricks?

Evening all and a Merry Christmas.

I have stumbled over my first R/C car in the garage this month, a 1/10 Schumacher Club10 Mk.2 Opel Calibra. Bought in 1995. This car is now class as vintage according to the Schumacher website!

I raced this once when the club was still at the YMCA (if I have got that right?) many many years ago.

I am not sure why I didn't come back...I think the cost of upgrades could not be covered by my paper rounds back then! I remember in one of the heats I didn't finish last becasue someone had a problem with their car...slow and steady won through! I still had fun thrashing it around the roads where I used to live.

My stumble has renewed my interest in racing and the cars.

A few questions -

Now, I assume with my now 'vintage' car there is no point in looking to upgrade to race. I would probably be cheaper to start again?

I am interested in keeping costs down if I am going to start again and from viewing post on GCC i would be better off trying GT12? Allows me to crash and tinker with set up without braking the bank.

Happy to start off with all second hand if I can get a decent chassis. I have had a look on ebay but not a lot for sale on there. Am I looking in the right place? Is second hand worth it? Does anyone know where I can go for some decent second hand base and bits? No adverse to new internals as the idea of GT12 is to keep the costs low...motors etc?

My dad built my last one for me so now I will be going it alone (with my dad on the end of the phone!).

Any comments or help would be appreciated. I would like to come down to have another look at the but I am finding it hard with a new little 4 month old, he is a bit young to get behind the controls!

Many thanks for your time.

Rob