Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 26-03-2015

Default Yz-2 on very high grip outdoor

Has anybody tried the yz2 on very high grip astro outdoors yet? I'm especially interested how the car feels compared with the tm2v2 and KF. I'm aware how well the car goes on lower grip so that isn't an issue.

I race almost exclusively on bumpy high traction astro so need to know how it compares to the high grip specific car's.

Try to be as unbiased as you can, pros and cons

Thanks

Chris
Old 26-03-2015

Run mine at stotfold last week first time outdoors on high grip the car was awesome. Only changes were harder front springs, long wheelbase, harder rear shock oil and running about 70 grams of weight all over the car.
Old 26-03-2015

Hi Chris

I tried it in a couple of practice runs at RHR on Sunday and it was absolutely fantastic. It was high grip bump astro and it was by far the best car I have ever run on that surface. I ran lee martins setup from petit rc use that I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26-03-2015
Mad Member

I race at Silverstone (indoor high grip astro) and have just come from a Tm2 and then a KF, so have a fairly good idea of how it compares, albeit on a fairly smooth surface with man made jumps..

Basically its very good on high grip, very stable and precise. With or without weight as long as you run it LWB, stiffen up from kit springs its ace, Tom C's setup is a great starting point to tweak around to suit.

I wouldn't say its better than a KF or TM2 on the high grip, they are all degrees of excellence really... but I certainly don't regret changing over to the KF or TM2.
Old 26-03-2015

Thanks for the replies lads,

I've been running Team C for a year so fancied a change at the start of the year so tried the KF2 but I'm just not keen on the reliability of Schumacher cars from my experience in the past.

I'm gonna go for the Yz2

Chris
Old 26-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Thanks for the replies lads,

I've been running Team C for a year so fancied a change at the start of the year so tried the KF2 but I'm just not keen on the reliability of Schumacher cars from my experience in the past.

I'm gonna go for the Yz2

Chris
Good choice. I ran my 4wd at the RHR Bradby cup last sunday, qualified 10th overall, so on a fairly decent pace for me. After the event, i put my yz2 down for a few laps, baring in mind i still had my low traction indoor/worksop setup, shocks rear and ball diff. It felt far faster, easier to drive and less on edge than the bmax4iii. After settling into it i know i was lapping quicker than the 4wd had done, it was so much more planted and easier to drive fast.
In future testing i want to run the gear diff, stiffer springs and shocks forward.

Sure the kf2 was designed for tracks like RHR, but a lot of people have underestimated how good the yz2 actually is. And durability wise there is no competition. Also no need to spend more than the kit cost on extras to make it a team spec car. it's all in the box barring heavier springs.
You will not regret your choice.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27-03-2015

Thanks Neil,

I ordered my yz-2 from MB this morning with special Saturday delivery as I cannot wait!

I intend to use AE springs on the car as I have a load of them, do you know how they compare with the Yatabe springs?

Would you say Lee Martin's RHR setup would be a good place to start setup wise? My local club is Bury Metro which is similar in grip and bumpiness to RHR?

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

Chris, as I said above I ran lee martins setup for RHR and it was awesome, I did pick up and use on it with the gull wing wishbones and shock tower. But I used the kit springs front and back with 35/27.5 AE oil.

Cheers
Chris
Old 27-03-2015

What advantage does running the gull wing wishbones bring?
Old 27-03-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Thanks Neil,

I ordered my yz-2 from MB this morning with special Saturday delivery as I cannot wait!

I intend to use AE springs on the car as I have a load of them, do you know how they compare with the Yatabe springs?

Would you say Lee Martin's RHR setup would be a good place to start setup wise? My local club is Bury Metro which is similar in grip and bumpiness to RHR?

Chris
HI Chris, almost certainly the rear AE springs will be too soft, even using AE yellows.

I've a spring gauge, but not managed to measure them all yet. I can measure specific ones if you like. Having got and used all the Yokomo and AE springs, there is more to it than just the rate alone. Spring length also allows for the correct ride height, plus the feel is different between AE and Yokomo (yatabe or otherwise).
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27-03-2015

Thanks Neil,

From what I've seen on the Petit RC spring comparison chart Red AE fronts are softer in poundage but not too far away from the Yatabe Yellow that Lee uses. Similarly AE black rears aren't too far away from the Yatabe Green he ran on the rear.
I was thinking of starting here as comparative to Lee's setup it's similar in balance front to rear albeit slightly softer all round.

I tend to like a softer damped car, especially when I ran Team C my car's had far bigger holes in my pistons than the rest of the team, and slightly softer springs too. I like a car to feel quite pointy and direct through the corners especially off power so I will almost certainly prefer the running the shocks in front of the rear wishbone.

As for droop, are people unscrewing the shock bottoms to allow for more initially or does the standard geometry give enough?

Lots of questions I know! Need to get as clued up as I can as the season is only a few weeks away!

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

Thanks Fozzy,

I'm a little unsure of what you mean RE: the rear gullwing arms and shock tower? Did you fit the gullwing arms to gain more rear droop?

what did you do on the tower?

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

Al,

Been doing a bit of reading and the gullwing rear arms are from the Bmaxx4iii 4wd. These gullwing arms make the car a touch wider at the rear making the car more stable on corner entry, increases on power steering and helps limit grip roll.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

Sorry was in a bit of a rush at work when I posted earlier, on lees RHR standard set up he runs the car with the front gull wing arms and front lower shock tower (both option parts). This was the only change I really had to make to be at his set up from what I had been running on low grip indoors on the front end. Have to say the result was great, added that bit more steering and seemed to just turn in better in general. The only changes I had to his set up, was that I ran the standard springs all round with 35/27.5 in the shocks and 5k in the diff. Really is a good starting point for astro and is what I will run on Sunday at Southport. I would try that before your AE sprongs, I personally haven't felt a need to change them frok kit yet. On another note I think you will find the Yatabe springs will be shorter than your AE ones so would be hard to get an exact match in terms of rates.

HTH
Chris
Old 27-03-2015

Thanks for clearing that up Fozzy. I will try the standard springs first before I start tinkering.

Out of interest does anyone know the size of the standard pistons? They are numbered 1,2 and 3 but can't find exact sizes? I see most are using 1.6 and 1.7mm 2 hole pistons.

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

They are 2 hole and are as follows.

3=2x1.5mm
2=2x1.6mm
1=2x1.7mm

By the way not 100% necessary but I run the machined Pistons and they are fantastic.

HTH

Chris

Last edited by Fozzy1989; 27-03-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Wrong way round on pistons
Old 27-03-2015

Thanks for that mate I now have a good idea of where to start when I build the car.

Really looking forward to giving this car a go, used to really like my Yok's back in my TC days

Chris
Old 27-03-2015

I got 1.5 & 1.7 wrong way round mate see above, just had manual open doing some prep for the weekend
Old 28-03-2015

Got my car delivered this morning it looks a great piece of kit.

Could anyone tell me if the springs that come with the car, Yellow fronts and green rears are Yatabe springs or just regular Yokomo Big bore?

Cheers for the info on the pistons Fozzy

Chris
Old 28-03-2015
Mad Member

cant say for certain, but they have a YAS code which I presumed was Yatabe Arena Spring, but I could just have made that up in my head?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...