Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 29-01-2014

Default Jon D

Defo buggy rep material there lad, ya got my vote 🐀🐀🐀
Old 29-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz23 View Post
Defo buggy rep material there lad, ya got my vote 🐀🐀🐀
PMSL
Old 29-01-2014

Just back home and checking oOple. The great and interesting debate rolls on, good to see.

I enjoy reading well written, thoughtful posts and this thread has had many of these although I think The Bod has TQ so far. A great even handed, balanced reflection of where we are. I couldn't disagree with any of his post.

Also Jon makes a good point about Southport and their fairly simple tracks. I must admit their track feels a lot larger than Ribble but they're both based in a sports hall so can't be too different. I'll post in the Southport section and ask, Simon will know.

We could make the track wider but that would mean less track effectively. The lap times aren't the longest now, around 13/14 second average, so if that dropped to a 10 second average would that create more issues?

A lot of people have mentioned ride height, and ensuring its sufficient but what would that be? My car was 7mm at both ends last week. I'm going to experiment this week and raise it to 8mm at the rear and 10mm front. My thinking is surely no one could argue that's too low, especially if I bump stop it at 4mm so it can't bottom out. I'm hoping it'll be better over the jump and hardly lose anything in the infield. We'll see.

Back to topic, Lee you're right, if everyone attends the AGM, it'll certainly be interesting
Old 29-01-2014

Could just ban additive for buggys. Foams would be great then and everyone would be slower and we can have a drift class.

It would als put less stress on the drive train, but I think that's just an issue I suffer with.

Serious suggestion on additive though.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 29-01-2014

Matt on the additive I think after round 1 the mardaves would put down enough that the difference wouldn't be that great.

Also what stops people loading the foams by soaking them during the week. They aren't cheating because they aren't applying additive at the meeting but that's just human nature and it happens at every level. The last 8th on road worlds nearly got cancelled because of legal cheating. In the end I think they got round it by the organisers giving the competitors hand out tyres a few minutes before the start of the heats.

Now we aren't there and this is racing for fun so if we add rules they need to be a benefit. I'm wondering who would enforce them and do you not think that would detract from the easy going nature of the club?
Old 30-01-2014

Well thanks to Eric at SRCC we've the dimensions of what they use.

Astro size 30metres x 4metres x 3 rolls. Pitting 2x 2mx30m carpet with approx 2m strip of concrete flooring. Track min 2.5m, straight 3m with max 8 cars in heats/finals

For those who haven't been its a great set up at Southport and worth the trip. They race on the Astro and use carpet to cover the pitting area to avoid damage to the floor.

How does that compare to the Ribble track?
Old 30-01-2014

Ribble track is 2m all round I think, tho im sure it narrows at points. The last track had a 2.5m straight if i remember correctly and that would be ideal all round so all we are asking is another 1m of carpet roughly, which I'm sure could be accommodated if people set up the pit area properly. It would also make life easier if the straight went under the rostrum rather than the opposite side of the hall.
Old 30-01-2014

Theres a key point there andy, what ever rules are imposed on tyres or such like there is always a way of cheating, always starts with one person and then spreads to others.
The same thing would happen I think with a control tyre, even if they are marked in some way, there will always be a work around, then you are into spending loads of cash on tyres.
This is just repeating stuff from earlier now.
I think more features, bigger carpet, higher ride heights etc.. are all god suggestions and hope something can be worked out, but banning foams I dont think is the way forward in my own personal opinion.

On foams front there was only limited intrest in my option to get some cheap foam donunts but I havent ordered yet so if anyone is intrested let me know as will be at the club friday (I am the one with the white Yokomo).

Old 30-01-2014

(I am the one with the white Yokomo). [/QUOTE]

Assume it is fixed now
Old 30-01-2014

He is the one with the slow white jokomo
Old 30-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennyy2k View Post
He is the one with the slow white jokomo
Old 30-01-2014

Thanks Lee

Sadly true, must be the foams slowing me down

Car fixed, destryed both idlers. Car ready to go again.
So in 4 weeks I have broke the diff, idler gears and shock cap. I am glad its a cheap hobby!!

Old 30-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Theres a key point there andy, what ever rules are imposed on tyres or such like there is always a way of cheating, always starts with one person and then spreads to others.
The same thing would happen I think with a control tyre, even if they are marked in some way, there will always be a work around, then you are into spending loads of cash on tyres.
This is just repeating stuff from earlier now.
I think more features, bigger carpet, higher ride heights etc.. are all god suggestions and hope something can be worked out, but banning foams I dont think is the way forward in my own personal opinion.

On foams front there was only limited intrest in my option to get some cheap foam donunts but I havent ordered yet so if anyone is intrested let me know as will be at the club friday (I am the one with the white Yokomo).
We had a control tire for buggy about 3 years ago and it was not popular with buggy racers. If you want the power of purchase the club might be able to help but only if the Majority of buggy racers can agree what to use.
Old 30-01-2014

Cheers eric.
I will wait until this is all sorted then we can discuss then.
I can keep the guy on ice for the moment.

Old 30-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Cheers eric.
I will wait until this is all sorted then we can discuss then.
I can keep the guy on ice for the moment.

Surely if as Lee states extra track width has already got committee approval and just needs buying, then why not buy a roll of astro turf (deep pile) this would then make foams / rubbers much more even and personal preference would prevail. Also There is no issue with the gt12 layout so they won't need to go onto the astro section.

For me the main things are:

1 very poor driver etiquette
2 track is too narrow ( see note above)
3 we end up with poor track layouts where for instance we have opposing direction straights - and are then afraid to change it because we voted on it.
4 the track pieces are now in really poor condition ( largely due to foams )
5 there is not enough off road sections for the buggies
6 the rostron is a little too low
7 cars are run too low - but if you address point 5 this will take car of itself

I enjoy coming to rvrccc for fun racing and long may it continue - it's run really well and with slight tweaks address my point above it would be even more fun.

But don't lose sight of the fact the lower heats and finals are the young talent of the future, after all the best driver in the country and ex world champ came through a local club racing for fun just like this.
Old 30-01-2014
Mad Member

watching this thread with Interest as an outsider

firstly Ribble are to be wholeheartedly praised for operating a thriving club
Remember clubs are only as successful as the hardcore few (normally) that often sacrifice their racing and time for the enjoyment of others don't abuse them too often or you wont have club at all

I have been a member of my local club for almost 20 years and we started with buggies then "wide salooons " and eventually touring cars we also race Friday nights . we have a similar number of racers we have evolved over these years by slow process, what we have found is that racers come and go from juniors to seniors but the club relies on the same few hardcore regulars that turn up almost every week to set up and run race control and then pack away, take memberships and run the clubs finances

We too try to focus on the juniors and novices they are the future , more experienced racers pick and choose which club/meeting they attend to benefit themselves and their desires, juniors often do not have that option

I have seen clubs that start with all good intentions divert from the path from which they set and eventually folded

club nights should be primarily focused on fun for all novice and "pro" alike
no driver is bigger than a club

It is great to see all this interest in the future of Ribble and whatever the outcome at the AGM I hope that everyone pulls together for the future of the club

overall remember its only Toy car Racing

best wishes from an outsider

dave fiddling
Old 30-01-2014

Good to see some banter entering this, Jokomo, love it! Mind due I can't say to much, that's exactly what happened to my C4.1 last week at Southport. Two idlers and a diff.

Just a question, I've noticed a few people saying, as Rallymaddaz point 5, foams damage the track markings? I'm not sure I understand that, could someone explain please.

I think this thread is now looking for some conclusions which will probably take the form of proposals for the AGM.

In summary, for me anyway. I think all of us agree the format we have at the moment is successful, the racings enjoyable so only minor tweaking in a few areas could be needed.
  • The majority of people are in favour of foams.
  • Think the track design could be improved although appreciate this is difficult given the restrictions in the size of the hall and the storage.
  • Maybe more off road features would be good provided it didn't detract anything from the youngsters and can be stored.
  • Are we happy with a 5mm ride height or should it be raised slightly?
I think we've kicked around more that this but these are the area's we keep returning to. I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening, I'll see what an increase in ride height does to my car, it was awesome last week so I'm hoping it's not to different. If anyone wants to have a look how my cars set up please come over and have a chat.
Old 30-01-2014

At least jokomo is better than s**t-worxs

If you run more ride hight on foams you will get more roll and camber change on the wheels which will basically cone the foam more.
So I found you had to compensate for that in the top link setup of the car.
May just be my car though.

Astro turf section, I never thought of that.
Do you reckon that "as good as grass" stuff would work and be like racing outside in the early 90's.

Old 30-01-2014

s**t-worxs

I've stiffened it up hoping it'll still resist rolling.

Can but try, if its a dog it won't take 10 minutes to put it back.
Old 30-01-2014

s**t-worxs..... Would be better if you spelt it properly, it's sworkz.... Mind you it's still more readable than a previous post