Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 26-08-2014

Default Team Orion Vortex R10 ESC Questions

Hi all,
Ran the ESC tonight in the durango dex410. Problem is after 3mins the thermal protection would kick in, it happened in all three of my runs. I'm running a speed passion 6.5t motor and 19t pinion if that helps. At no point did the ESC feel hot to touch which makes me think it's something else and if I switch the esc on/off it reset? Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 26-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

no expert on the r10, but can you set up the overheat temp,(as you can with the speed passion) is it to low? if the esc is cool is it the motor overheating not the esc, have had a problem with a 6.5 sp before if one of the pins on the motor feels loose/has movement it starts to run very hot just a thought

not sure on the overall ratio of the 410 but 19T is quite low, the instructions of the 22-4 point you in that direction and I and other I know end up running 22-23-24 ish

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 27-08-2014

I'm not sure on setup as far as I'm aware it's running stock settings. I have seen some 'winning' setups from other drivers and they all seem to disable thermal protection. I've also read of people returning the esc to horizon due to this. Hmmm
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

A 19t pinion seems a bit low for a SpeedPassion motor, I'm sure when I used to run a SP 6.5 in my old Durango that I was nearer 21-22t.
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

I would suggest 22/23/24 pinion for SP6.5 in DEX410 - 19 is too low for our tracks/tyres IMO. Gearing recommendations for US-brand cars is just that, a recommendation, and usually doesn't factor in the significantly larger diameter of dirt tyres vs our Astro tyres - if you compare a mounted Proline Holeshot to a mounted Schumacher Minispike, you'll see what I mean!
Old 27-08-2014

I have also run it with a 21t pinion, it still bring up this green led error!?

I think I may of found the cause! The esc is running stock firmware. Do I need the program box to change this?
Old 27-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There doesn't seem to be a "standard" for the the thermal monitoring and in my experience it only really works properly when both ESC and motor are from the same supplier.

Shouldn't have a problem with the thermal cut out on the R10 with an Orion motor, I never have and I gear quite high to smooth out these brushless monsters.
Try it with an Orion motor and see if the same thing happens, sure somebody will have one you can borrow.
If it does it might actually be a sign that your cells are below par, I saw something similar happen with a friends car just before his LiPos died.
Old 27-08-2014

Nick

To answer your question yes you need the program box to update software/firmware whichever it's called.

You'll also need a PC with internet; download onto this from Orion website downloads page. Install the program, then first connect and update program box to latest version.

Then attach speedo and choose which version of software you want on there; obi the MOD version. All very easy and quick to do.

The orion R10 Pro requires a lipo to be attached, but be careful if you change speedos in future, for instance, my speed passion doesn't require a lipo and some people have fried laptops doing this!

If you can find someone to lend you the program box you're laughing; it is useful though a little pricey new I think.
Old 27-08-2014

So in short, get a program box, install the latest MOD firmware and all should be good?
Old 28-08-2014

Fingers crossed, no guarantee of course but it's the next sensible thing to check, along with checking that gear ratio is suitable.
Old 28-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Check your soldering as well
Check there is nothing binding in the drive train, you should get a good roll with the pinion removed. If not something bindings or a bearings gone

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 28-08-2014

Transmission is nice and smooth solderings good although I have considered redoing all the cables to esc. I've ordered a program box that should be here over the next couple of days and with change the firmware from stock to mod and start with factory settings I think, anything else to check? I think everything's been covered
Old 28-08-2014

After some closer inspection I found the switch wires frayed where they exit the case. Far to complex for me to tackle. Looks like a new esc is required and see if I can sell this as spare repair! Note to self, never buy anything used again!
Old 28-08-2014
Mad Member

Have a word with pugs on here, he's a wizz at fixing speed controllers mate
Old 28-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Brewer View Post
Have a word with pugs on here, he's a wizz at fixing speed controllers mate
Cheers mate, PM sent. To be fair it's just a bit of soldering that needs doing but it's just to intricate for me. Thanks again
Old 28-08-2014
Mad Member

I know it is easy to be put off 2nd hand stuff when you get a problem, but is think 99% of sellers tell the full story (although I'm always amazed how many people sell stuff after just using it 3 times )

It is still a good route to decent stuff at good prices - sorry this one didn't work out

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 28-08-2014

Can win em all hey Chris. Hopefully get it sorted!
Old 30-08-2014

I'm pretty sure updating to the mod firmware will sort the issue. after reading some info on Team Orions site they confirmed that running a mod motor on stock firmware is definatly a no no, note the last point below:

Please read before updating!

• For Windows computers only!
• The optional ORI65150 Vortex DSB-R program box is required to use this software.
• When you connect the ESC to the computer via the programming box, the software automatically detects the ESC type and only shows the compatible ESC firmware
• Not all the ESC connect the same way to the program box. Check the DSB-R instructions for information on how to connect your ESC to the program box.
• Make sure to update the program box firmware before you can update the ESC firmware.
Stock motor firmware is only for stock motors! Low wind motors will be damaged with this firmware.

Fingers crossed
Old 09-09-2014

Well been the club tonight, thermal protection kicked in again ffs. The motor did feel hot though. Gear mesh is good, soldering is perfect, drivetrain is nice and free, I haven't got a clue now. I have been looking at setups on orions website and even some of the pro setups have this function disabled, should I just switch it off?
Old 10-09-2014
Mad Member

Hi,
Just install the right mod software and the ESC should be fine.
The stock software has mega timing built in and should not be used with modified motors unless you know 100% what you are doing.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com