Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 08-05-2014

Default What's the best esc for durango desc410

Hi just wondering what's best esc for truck as was a bit short of power last weekend. Got 5.5 motor 550 think it's lrp. And running it on hobbywing sct 120amp sensored. So I was interested to no if there was something fast but not stupid hi tec settings on it.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2014

I ran the hobbywing SCT Pro for 2 years, I have now put my Tekin RX8 in there, it is hands down a lot smoother and more powerful than the hobbywing
Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrev View Post
Hi just wondering what's best esc for truck as was a bit short of power last weekend. Got 5.5 motor 550 think it's lrp. And running it on hobbywing sct 120amp sensored. So I was interested to no if there was something fast but not stupid hi tec settings on it.

Thanks
RX8 is awesome, not cheap but worth the money. Or just get a TrackStar 4turn Motor off hobbyking (about £35), that thing is fast. A chap last weekend was running the Trackstar with the ESC you have, its crazy fast if you can drive!!
Old 08-05-2014

Hi ok I will have a look for a rx8 didn't think the hobbywing went below 5 turn. At Coventry I just lacked the power to do the double jump and I didn't want to over gear it as then you get he problems I maxed the timing on it but didn't seem to make a lot of difference in the speed there was a lot of lose dust. I am going west Bridgeford this Sunday so I will give a go there see if it's any different.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrev View Post
Hi ok I will have a look for a rx8 didn't think the hobbywing went below 5 turn. At Coventry I just lacked the power to do the double jump and I didn't want to over gear it as then you get he problems I maxed the timing on it but didn't seem to make a lot of difference in the speed there was a lot of lose dust. I am going west Bridgeford this Sunday so I will give a go there see if it's any different.

Thanks
Ive no idea what the motor limit is, but his ran the motor fine and temps were OK.

I ran the RX8 with a TEKIN motor and I thought I didnt have the power for the double, turns out I just wasnt doing it right. I was watching the Durangos flying over it lap after lap and realized it was my technique not the power. Changed my technique and was clearing it consistently after, landing and control mid air needs more work LOL. (this was my first proper race and first time on the dirt)
Old 08-05-2014

Justin me and my mate Paul was talking to you at the lap board. It was are first for dirt. You doing next meeting 1st June Robin Hood if so we are too
Old 08-05-2014
oOple Advertiser

I doubt if changing your speedo will have much affect on the speed. I have run the RX8 and the Hobbywing back to back with the same motor fitted and could not really tell any difference. The Hobbywing speedo is very good indeed and as most people know they also make a lot of the branded speedos out there.

I would look more to the settings and the motor first as this will save you a bit of cash!
Old 08-05-2014

Hi I tried two motors both same size 5.5 but different makes both with same speed. I could try gearing it up on pinion but mod1 get big very quick
Old 08-05-2014

Thumbs up

I think you're lacking in torque. A 5 Turn motor has very high RPM but has lower torque. For SC truck 10T or 13.5 Boosted maybe would work better in general esp on the jumps.
Old 08-05-2014

So you reckon trying a lower turn motor must admit didnt think that would work but will give anything ago.

thanks
Old 08-05-2014

5T is really for lighter cars. SCT need more grunt! I would try changing your gearing first smaller pinion gear for more acceleration / punch though before spending out on a new motor.

http://teamnovak.com/tech_info/view_article/26

I use the above guide to get a good starting point for gearing. Its for 540 motors but principles must be similar.
Old 08-05-2014

I used to use the hobbywing scb speedo with a 2700kv motor (mod 1 19 pinion in the rango) but now run the rx8 with a tekin pro4 4000kv motor and to be fair the only difference i noticed was acceleration from a standing start for the first 30cm then there was no problem

Old 08-05-2014

ok bud i think the smallest pinion i can get is a 11t was running a 14t at coventry i fort bigger track bigger pinion
Old 08-05-2014

Just realised you were racing on dirt! Maybe gearing down wont help after all. Prob wheel spinning before the jump, gearing down will make it worse.

I guess good tyres, gearing up a touch to limit wheel spin, slipper set right, pro most of all come out of corner before the jump with as much speed as poss an hope for the best!
Old 08-05-2014

Like the bit hope for the best so true. Got no slipper on mine locked diff. Grip was a big problem but was first time on dirt and I think track was for nitro was good fun very hard still fixing it now. Racing on grass this Sunday at west Bridgeford got to go through finding right tyres again.

Thanks for help and info chaps
Old 09-05-2014
oOple Advertiser

I wouldn't worry about the clearing the double jump. Myself and Bob gave up trying to nail it and we still finished 2nd and 4th overall.
At least West Bridgford is the same tyre choice as astro (mini spikes or Kourse Kings) although I did find silvers worked great once the track wore down!
Old 09-05-2014

You may also find that your batteries are letting you down with such a low turn motor, do they have a high C rating?

My SC10 with a HW 10T motor will still keep up with 1/10 buggies in a straight line.
Old 09-05-2014

Yeah lipos new august last year might look at new set of them. Had some silvers but need a hard insert I was told I was using yellow.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2014
oOple Advertiser

Come and have a chat this weekend Trev as I have a deal on Orion 90c saddles that might do you ok?
Old 09-05-2014

Trev, I struggled with set up of my 2wd truck until I added 80+ grams of weight below the battery (biased towards the rear) then added 20 gram up front to stop it going nose high on the jumps. Got loads of drive out of the corners and the car felt planted all the way around the track.
There were a few 2wd 's making that double and they were all using the left hand side of the ramp (closer to the rostrum) which seemed more inclined/less worn.
I would of thought with a 4wd it would be lack of grip stopping you getting the momentum to clear the 2nd ramp