Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 22-12-2011

Default Decisions Decisions.

Hi all. Coming back to RC at present. Been in and out of it for most my life - last time was in 07 when I had a Nitro Hyper ST and Savage. However bashing with yourself (no pun intended) isn't that much fun after a while, and having moved back to salford your Bury club is nice and close. I did make the trip last sunday but got caught out in the snow.

So, I currently have about £300 and have on ebay my Tamiya TL-01 4WD Skyline to put more funds on top towards a buggy. I looked at higher end ones like B44 and SX3 but they were proving too much to kit out.

Having read the forums for a while and looksed at some discussions I see a few run RC10's etc. So I have thought about an RTR between the RC10B4.1 or the Losi 22 (the spektrum is tempting and justifying the extra £80 with that one). So does anyone have any opinions on the Losi 22? I know the B4.1 must be decent enough for the cash if several people use them but the Losi is quite new.

Faling that, I have priced up and am the verge of a Schu Cougar S1 with a better motor and SC set up from LRP. It is all very affordable in my £400 budget.

So - can I have your opinions please? Would you advice just getting a B4.1, vs a Losi 22? Or, should I go that little bit more and build my own cougar with better elecrronics and another spektrum unit?

Thanks folks.
Old 22-12-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

cougar s1 is a absolute bargain at the minuet,but i would advice getting some big bores for it,
Old 22-12-2011
No trade access

I would say 2wd and RB5 for an easy ride to drive, expensive but I almost broke anything on it, much more durable than the others cars I tried.
Old 22-12-2011

It is indeed bigred. 122 kit or 150 built so was thinking the latter. But the B4.1 Factory is only 214 so wondering if that may be worth the extra or not?
Old 22-12-2011
Super Moderator

Does it have to be new?
I just got a cougar pro off this site for under £90 came with spares, upgrades, wheels/tyres etc & is in excelent condition
I have been using a Orca brushless combo in my other car & am going to get another 1 for this, £140 for esc & motor is a great price
Old 22-12-2011
Banned

Welcome to the Bury Section!

My names Matt, I'm on the Bury committee.

The B4 or RB5 are good to start i would say!
The B4.1 RTR is not bad as a starting point. But you will upgrade the electrics. Soon after buying!

Personally, and what i did. Was to buy 2nd hand from club members.
that way you get the good stuff cheap

I have an RB5 up for sale at the moment if that's any use?
Also must of the guys have spare electrics knocking around too.

I'm sure we can sort something.
Old 22-12-2011

+1 For the Cougar, at that price why buy second hand
Old 23-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
Welcome to the Bury Section!

The B4.1 RTR is not bad as a starting point. But you will upgrade the electrics. Soon after buying!
This is an interesting point. In theory, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock electrics on the B4.1 RTR (Ok, its a sensorless system, but plenty of people are using Ezruns!) but most buyers do seem to ditch them fast. However, everyone that ever has then ended up getting something much to powerful for a beginner to handle. I suspect this is the problem - the stock electrics, whilst actually the right ones for a beginner just aren't as quick as the top guys, so they replace them.
Point being here you don't have to - in fact it might be better not to!

This goes even further where the RTR Losi 22 is concerned - because it comes with a 13.5t motor as standard! And unlike my 10.5t's the Losi esc can't do timing boost, so its going to be slow. Good for newbies, but slow. Of course in theory that Losi esc can easily take a 7.5t later, but thats not really the point. Besides its a Losi esc so will likely explode first time out!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 23-12-2011
The gimp formerly known as LIP

Good morning,

My names Phil, and I'm burys little whipping boy!

I would highly suggest the Losi 22 RTR you get alot of kit for not much money! Plus you have new gear as well! Over time spend another £100 on spares and the odd electrics upgrade and you will be grinning from ear to ear! Id also look at a custom shell when the addiction starts!

Don't get bogged down with all the talk keep it simple and buy new if you can you appreciate it more.

I wouldn't rush out and buy until after Xmas as there isn't much racing at bury at the moment.
Old 23-12-2011

Good morning,

My name is Martin, And I am an alcoholic

DOH WRONG FORUM

serious tho B4 all day long is easy to get back into racing with. Easy to repair and setup compared to cougar and losi and alot less to go wrong with them the gear boxes are bullit proof unlike the cougar and parts are cheap and can be made to go as fast as you can drive
Old 23-12-2011
Mad Member

+1 for the b4.1 you can pick one up off here second hand for around £100 with spares then a cheap brushless system £100-£150 brand new
Savox servo second hand off here £30
Couple of cheap lipos from eBay £40 for 2 stick packs (hong kong)
And that leaves you about £100 for radio gear

All the other 2wds don't have the track record of the b4

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 23-12-2011

Default Wow

Wow - thank you all so much for your advice and so many responses. I must admit being my first car in a while, I would rather buy the first new and then as I grow my collection again second hand is often very wise.

I am swaying toward the B4.1 Factory edition. From what people say and what I read there is a lot of advice around and parts for repair so that could be a good start. The electronics I am looking at is the LRP brushless and eraser AI combo, 10.5T from Modelsport at £116. I'll need to be careful at first but shouldn't need to upgrade again for a long while, if at all. So thinking this may be the way to go.

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to coming down and meeting you all - when the road doesn't stop me again when covered in snow haha.
Old 23-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Whilst high end LRP stuff is great, I'd avoid the AI and Eraser combo. The Eraser motors don't seem to last long, and the AI speed controller has an annoying habit of getting forwards and reverse mixed up!
The Fusion Exceed 10.5t system is cheaper, the motor is better and the esc doesn't get amnesia, so I'd suggest that instead.
However I should point out that, whilst both systems are good for a beginner, neither has much upgrade potential beyond the 10.5t it comes with. You will most likely soon find an unboosted 10.5t a bit slow, especially outdoors. At this point there are two ways to speed up the car - run a timing boost esc (neither of those esc's have this feature) which is what I do, or run a lower wind motor (which those esc's can't cope with) like most people do.

The big plus side of the B4 series is at virtually everyone has owned one at some point. That means you can ask pretty much anyone trackside for help. Lots of people still run them, or run B4 based X6's or C4.1's so the chances are someone will have spares. And whilst the rear motor B4 is getting old, the mid motor conversions (X6, C4.1 and Vega) are the most competitive 2wds on the track, so when you outgrow the standard B4.1, just convert.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 23-12-2011
Mad Member

The exceed is a good system on a budget I found one for £99 at Modelsport but to tell you the truth is go for the 6.5t for £129 and just run it on all low power settings or adjust the end point on the throttle stick/trigger I've had one of these systems in a b4 and it was pretty fast but yet easy to drive especially with a decent servo fitted and that would do a begginer or a fast driver

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 23-12-2011

Si and bud. Thanks for that. Again - more food for thought and thanks for the avoidance tip.
Old 29-12-2011

Default Puchased

Well, I made my commitment today and went for a Factory Team B4.1. I looked at the RB5 but was just going to be stretching too much for the extra 80 quid. So I picked the car up which I am half way through building today, and a Spektrum Radio set up.

Was going to purchase the Fusion Exceed 6.5T set up but no one has it in stock, so I will have to be engineless for now.

Although JE Spares are doing the LRP X12 at £60 and the LRP SXX at £129 so thats also temping, but I'll have to wait a bit more and save for that lot haha.
Old 29-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The LRP setup is worth the extra - LRP gear is very reliable. Not that Fusion's stuff is bad, but LRP's is really really good!

However, 6.5t is a bit much in a 2wd, especially that Fusion motor which is a real screamer - most people run that setup in a 4wd.

For a 2wd you'll want something a lot less powerful, but much smoother. On a dry day outdoors you can get away with a mega motor in a 2wd, but indoors with slippery polished floors, and outside in the rain you will really struggle. If you are only running 2wd, opt for mild over mental.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-12-2011

Hi Si. Thanks for the tip - well if I save for the LRP Spedo and get an X12 in a different turn, say a 10 or an 8 that should be better then.

Or I could even just get the Fusion Exceed 10.5 which is only £99 until I am better - then I can upgrade later on?
Old 29-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats not a bad way of doing it. Our indoor tracks tend to favour skill over power anyway.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC