Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 30-03-2014
Mad Member

Default Slipper for my xls

Hi guys I need a layshaft and slipper for my xls runner...can anyone help me out?

I think from reading Luke's thread that the U1214 Bosscat unit is a good option and enables RW spurs to be used......all help much appreciated.

Dan
Old 31-03-2014
Awesome Admin

What are you going to be running through it pal lipos or nicads as if your useing lipos you will need the bosscat one which are like rocking horse do do but if your not running that power through it you could use the wasp or Procat slipper.
Old 31-03-2014

I have drawn up a conversion shaft for my bosscat to run a modern slipper (b4 style) but I don't know how popular this would be. Seems like a few out there want to run their old cars with modern power
Old 31-03-2014
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomachv View Post
I have drawn up a conversion shaft for my bosscat to run a modern slipper (b4 style) but I don't know how popular this would be. Seems like a few out there want to run their old cars with modern power
Tell me more I would be very interested in 1 or maybe 2 if you could get one to fit the mms layshaft
Old 01-04-2014

I luckily picked up a BossCat slipper assembly from Paul (CAT3K)... but i've realised since just how few & far between they seem to be - i'm also surprised just how popular the Bosscat 'Sport' must have been!

I'd be interested in a layshaft being machined that allows the use of a double disc slipper assembly - as this has got to be better than the single disc BossCat Item... would be nice if it used parts from a later Schumacher e.g K1 or Cougar SV or KF (to keep it all the same brand)
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 01-04-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
As Dan says, any chance of a SV based slipper conversion?

Would be interested in a lay shaft if it stayed with schuey parts..
Old 01-04-2014

That's the type of input I was hoping for, thanks guys. I wasn't sure if a b4 type dual slipper would be preferred for simplicity and ease of parts, or if I should keep it Shuey. I'll do some checking with my machinist and see if he is willing to experiment. I just ordered a sv2 slipper set from a US seller so I should have it soon to experiment with
Old 01-04-2014
Awesome Admin

You could even go for a sx3 slipper assembly if you wanted to keep it shumacher thay are easy to get hold of
Old 01-04-2014

I tried to look up the sx3 exploded view and manual- both are offline at schumacher...but from looking at the pieces they are very similar to the cougar as far as the square drive and such. I will need to get the sx3 hubs in my hand before I can say for sure but they look very compatible with my idea for the shaft.
Old 02-04-2014
Mad Member

Just seen all your replys guys!

I'd also be interested in the layshaft to use a modern slipper!
Old 02-04-2014

Quote:
I tried to look up the sx3 exploded view and manual- both are offline at schumacher...but from looking at the pieces they are very similar to the cougar as far as the square drive and such. I will need to get the sx3 hubs in my hand before I can say for sure but they look very compatible with my idea for the shaft.
I'm not familiar with either the Cougar SV or CAT SX3 slipper assemblies.... but either way it would be best if any manufactured layshaft used parts that could still be purchased from Schumacher (so presumably from a car in the current line-up)
Old 02-04-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I "think" the slipper plates are the same or very similar between the SV and SX3/KF.

In all honesty though, the bosscat slipper can amost certainly cope with as much power as the rest of the xls transmission can take!! The frustrating thing for me is that I've probably thrown away enough bosscat (same as CAT 2000/3000/fireblade) slipper plates / pads over the years to keep this forum's users going!!
Old 02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
I'm not familiar with either the Cougar SV or CAT SX3 slipper assemblies.... but either way it would be best if any manufactured layshaft used parts that could still be purchased from Schumacher (so presumably from a car in the current line-up)
Well, that was the reason I was thinking B4 style, as that opens it up to losi (even hydradrive), associated and others. That top shaft is also much easier to fabricate. I will probably start with a B4 style and then progress to the Schuey. A bearing adapter will have to be made as well, as the bosscat slipper is the bearing adapter.

As far as the compatibility- will the Bosscat share compatibility with others assuming the drive pin holes are in the stock location? For example, would a original Cougar, Topcat etc use the same shaft? I haven't done my research.
Old 03-04-2014

Quote:
Well, that was the reason I was thinking B4 style, as that opens it up to losi (even hydradrive), associated and others. That top shaft is also much easier to fabricate. I will probably start with a B4 style and then progress to the Schuey. A bearing adapter will have to be made as well, as the bosscat slipper is the bearing adapter.

As far as the compatibility- will the Bosscat share compatibility with others assuming the drive pin holes are in the stock location? For example, would a original Cougar, Topcat etc use the same shaft? I haven't done my research.
The 2wd cars would (I assume) be different since they only have a single belt/drive pulley as opposed to the double pulley with (space between for the main long belt) on Bosscat/ProCat.

I'm not sure which of the original CATs (SWB, XL or XLS) had the original 'integrator' system - but anyone wanting to run any sort of slipper on their CAT would have to upgrade to a drum diff & fixed layshaft pulleys.
Old 03-04-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
The 2wd cars would (I assume) be different since they only have a single belt/drive pulley as opposed to the double pulley with (space between for the main long belt) on Bosscat/ProCat.

I'm not sure which of the original CATs (SWB, XL or XLS) had the original 'integrator' system - but anyone wanting to run any sort of slipper on their CAT would have to upgrade to a drum diff & fixed layshaft pulleys.
All above had the inegrator .

Med vänlig hälsning, isobarik
Old 03-04-2014

I've made a slipper for my ProCat that uses the layshaft from an original Schumacher procat option slipper set but with a modern Schuey spur and slipper pads. This involved turning some custom ali slipper plates, making a T profile lock nut (as the slipper shaft was a little short). Spring is from a Team C slipper.

I run it with a MMS one piece drum diff. All of this would be completely compatible with the earlier CATs and probably BossCats too.
It works perfectly with lipos and 8.5 motor on high grip astro and so far no transmission problems.

My design was based on reusing existing parts wherever possible with minimal new manufacture but really a new layshaft that was long enough to accept a standard nylock nut would have helped.

Nigel Powell - Schumacher - Silverstone RCMCC
Old 03-04-2014
Mad Member

3 words Nigel...

Make me one!
Old 03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
3 words Nigel...

Make me one!
I wish I could Dan, but I no longer have easy access to a lathe.
:-(
Old 03-04-2014

I also ran a bosscat slipper in my procat with an 8.5T brushless and lipo indoors on carpet and found the weak point to be the tooth pitch of the belts and diffs. I did get a price to have some new MMS style diffs machined but lost my way with it some what and it is now on the back burner. Thread here if anyone is interested:

http://forum.racing-cars.com/forum_p...20-years-later
Old 05-04-2014

The SV2 slipper showed up today and I have taken the measurements- I think I have a game plan to make it fit. It will require a special bearing adapter for the slipper side, because the old slipper inner hub was the adapter and of course a special layshaft