Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-04-2014
Mad Member

Default Can ESC increase the top speed?

Further to my earlier thread on how to set up a reventon s ESC, I now have another question...

I've had a few runs now and seem to be handling the car ok on the windy stuff (sorry to the other 4wd competitors at batley who may disagree!!) but I noticed that on the straight there are other cars going twice the speed of me. Is that down to their gearing and motor turn, or is there something I can change to give greater top speed on straights without changing other parameters or do I just need to start upping the profile settings in general? I'd have thought a 9.5 turn should be pretty quick or do I need lower? I have a spare Novak 6.5 turn but not sure if ESC would take it?
Do the timing or digi response settings increase the actual top speed of the car or simply how the power is put down?

Ps, I'm on a 22 pinion and can't remember whether spur is 81 or 84?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 16-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Reventon S in a 4wd is a bit of a push and going to a 6.5 will help the speed but not the esc as I don't think it will handle it. Your better off getting a better esc.

Turbo will help with top end speed as well as other gearing but will increase heat as well.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 16-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You could probably gear up quite a few teeth and increase to maximum timing on motor can. Do both and check motor/esc temps in practice.

The reventon S is an ESC that's meant more for stock spec racing with higher turn motors (17.5, 13.7, 10.5, etc) with no timing or boost added to increase performance. a 6.5 will exceed its limits, and you'll more than likely end up blowing the reventon.

While a 9.5 could be made to run alot faster in 4wd with a different higher power ESC that can add lots of boost and/or turbo, most people in 4wd seem to run 6.5-7.5 which is probably why your car was differently paced.

I can make a 10.5 run at the same speed as an unboosted 6.5 down the straight with ESC boost or turbo settings. sure the power bands are different, and they are different to drive, but top end flat out speed can be achieved with a higher turn motor and a top spec esc.

Gear up and put maximum motor can timing on. not sure if on the reventon S you can add boost or turbo timing? if so, do this. if not its new ESC time.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-04-2014
Mad Member

Thanks both. Which ESC would be a better option if I were to buy new?

I do have an Orion Vortex R10 that came in a 2nd hand Team C i bought, but I have no instructions or programme card. Currently in the TEam C with a 14T Orion Neon motor

I also have a LRP Sphere (quite old) that was in the b44.1 when I got it. with a Novak 6.5T. I'm not sure if this has low voltage cut off so am nervious about using it.

But, I could get a new ESC and use the Novak, or maybe use the Orion R10 if it will take a 6.5T motor?

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 16-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

R10 works great thats what I use.
LRP are pretty darn good especially the older ones, they don't seem to have the BEC issues.
Im pretty sure the LRP has a LVC and a limit of about 4T motor, make sure you have the fan on it in 4wd.

I had a 9.5T motor that was just as fast down the straight as a lot of others at the club, added boost and timing etc and it actually ran very cool, I guess I found its sweet spot. Along with the HW V2.1 I was really happy with it.

Old 16-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

R10 is certainly a better option. manual is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.teamorion.com/fr-and-11-2...-59-60-61.html

You may want to get the program box.

Running a 6.5 may make you quicker down the straight, but also quick to crash at the corners. There is a lot in using a higher turn motor to learn to get round without crashing, then increase speeds. certainly indoors, we see a lot of people over motored which really doesn't help them or the other racers (myself included, I've started to run 13.5T indoors instead of a 7.5 in 2wd, and a 10.5 in 4wd)

Info and manual on the LRP sphere is here: http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...gital/details/
manual link at bottom of page. I've no experience of this one sorry.

Gearing up the 9.5 is going to help, even with a newer ESC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-04-2014
Mad Member

I Run An LRP Sphere TC spec in my 4wd with a 6.5t Motor
I have no program card or anything for it.
and it works like a charm.

I have followed the program instructions and using the Set button have disabled the drag brake though which helped loads over jumps
and its spot on now

a far better option in a 4wd than a reventon S
Old 16-04-2014
Mad Member

Righty Ho - Soldering Iron here I come!!

Thanks for tips.

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 16-04-2014

If you need a LRP sphere tc spec I have one with instructions in good working order, but needs a fan if you put it with a 6.5
Old 16-04-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
I Run An LRP Sphere TC spec in my 4wd with a 6.5t Motor
I have no program card or anything for it.
and it works like a charm.
Sphere TC does not have a program card - it's pure old school buttons and flashes. A great ESC.

Stick the reventon s in a 2wd, and either the R10 or sphere in 4wd and you'll have no probs with anything.
Old 17-04-2014
Mad Member

OK - will the R10 take 6.5T Novak motor as I presume the 14T Orion will be slower than the 9.5T Speed passion (but with more torque so could take a higher pinion?)

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 17-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd run the 9.5T with the R10, and geared up somewhat from where you are now. Then add some boost, or turbo for the straight, to come on at full throttle.
You'll be plenty quick enough then. The 6.5 will be too much for now. use that when you can drive the 9.5 consistently without crashing.
Old 17-04-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I'd run the 9.5T with the R10, and geared up somewhat from where you are now. Then add some boost, or turbo for the straight, to come on at full throttle.
You'll be plenty quick enough then. The 6.5 will be too much for now. use that when you can drive the 9.5 consistently without crashing.
Thank you. And I promise to try to stay out of yours and Danny's way
No more will we need to hear "come on green car - which way are you going!!"

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 17-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Thank you. And I promise to try to stay out of yours and Danny's way
No more will we need to hear "come on green car - which way are you going!!"
Hey no problem. If you need any help at the track, just come find me. Can always help setup esc if you are stuck with the settings.
Old 26-04-2014
Mad Member

So I have done some jiggerypokery and now have the reventon pro s and 9.5T speed passion in the team c and it is beautifully smooth - makes you realise the difference between sensored and sensor less!!
Doesn't feel much quicker, but much more controllable as the acceleration is much more progressive...
I have put the R10 in the b44.1 and most people seemed to suggest that a 4wd needed more grunt so I've put it in with a 5.5T hpi motor.
The R10 ESC sadly isn't sensored so initial acceleration feels a little notchy so I may try the LRP and see how that goes due to it being sensored. Other problem I found with R10 is that it is the base 45A waterproof model and doesn't seem to be compatible with the Orion programme box I purchased (grr)

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 26-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think the most of us thought that the R10 you were talking about is the Orion R10 pro with 160A... not a 45A one. That might just blow up the first run you do with a 5.5 in a 4wd

Old 26-04-2014
Mad Member

Right. Best not try that then

I'll put old sphere in with old novae 6.5t and get a more suitable esc for longer term

So my next question then is...

If I have prog box for orion as well as reventon, should I get a higher spec r10 or speed passion. My initial thought is the SP as I will be keeping the old rev S in my tc02c and I have the software on my PC. I could then sell the orion prog box, but I suspect that r10 might be better kit?

Yokomo YZ-2

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 26-04-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 26-04-2014
Mad Member

the "old sphere" will be fine when running low wind motors, boost and timing are not generally required,needed or used

my son ran one with an old 7.5 novak with a sphere at recent worksop meeting 2wd indoors and put it in the "A"final so latest spec stuff is not always required especially if your a novice racer

remember to finish first you must first finish

regards Dave
Old 26-04-2014
Mad Member

Good advice.

Just had a blast in nearby park to test and all seems to work fine now. Just need to remember stopwatch now for low volt protection

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 26-04-2014

There is low volt protection in the a Sphere...! I think that has been pointed out before..