Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 21-07-2010
Mad Member

Not at all dissected Rich - we're all looking for the perfect resolution - but we have to be realistic with what's achievable in the confines of the hall.

As has been said before - we are in the throes of trying some different formats and I'm sure Alan & Jon have viewed this thread and are taking on board yours and anyone else's concerns.

See you tonight - hopefully you'll have a better evening than last week.
Old 28-07-2010
Mad Member

so how do we think the stagerd start went tonight.

stu
Old 29-07-2010
Mad Member

Personally - I think it sucked. Fine for a whole days racing when you have 4 qualifiers and 3 finals as per our Winter series, but for a Wednesday night it just knocked the "cut and thrust" element right on the head.

-1 from me.
Old 29-07-2010

Same here Dave!
Old 29-07-2010

Much Much Better

A chance of finishing a meeting without a broken car which is superb, also should show peoples real pace.
Then you have a close final with people who have run close times to yourself.

TBH Hog you were in my heat an it was v scrappy at times as people hadnt listened to how the race system works. An we both in the final had issues with lapping but thats usual. Hog you won the final so your true pace showed through then.
Biggest issue i had was you running different body that looks like someone elses lolol.

Crewie dont know what happened to you mate were you in B with us?

It will get better
Old 29-07-2010

Well for the one race i managed to finish without bits falling off or something going wrong i thought it was tip top

Everyone in the seemed to have their own racing space, you no longer have to worry about people running into you and spoiling your time.

Was it a bit rough in the lower heats? it should calm down when people get used to it.
Old 29-07-2010
Mad Member

Don't think I won the final Richard - I know for a fact I was behind Will at the very least.

Crewie decided that instead of racing in the 2nd round he would talk himself into the B final

I guess it depends whether you want to race the clock, or other drivers.

Racing the clock is predictable and it's purely down to you. Racing other drivers throws in the element of unpredictability - the "what are they going to do to defend" scenario. To me, THAT is racing.

Do we want the winner on the night to be the fastest person against the clock, or the one that is quickest and has the racecraft to beat the other drivers?
Old 29-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I thought it was pretty good last night, the only slight probs were getting through back markers, I feel things could be improved with numbers on the cars so its easy to see who is lapping you and having a speaker on the stage so you can hear where you are in the race as its a bit hard to hear at the other end of the hall.

But you had the usual suspects in the A final so it worked out ok I thought

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 29-07-2010

Hog

Thought you were in B with us but hey i remember now, you made your usual A final so same as normal, thats a good thing isnt it.
Old 29-07-2010
Mad Member

I think the driver grading has proved that it's a worthwhile addition to the FORCC way of doing things, but I know of plenty that are unhappy with the staggered start format. We have said that it's only a trial period so we'll see after that I guess.

I just hope that everyone feels free to have their say.............

While we're on the subject of change - do we start naming and shaming those who never help put the track away?
Old 29-07-2010
Mad Member

last night i enjoyed the heats in my view was so much cleaner but i was in heat 6 and its normaly ok the lower heats seemed to look ok.

im confused with the driver gradeing system not taking anything away from will but how does the grading work out a driver who has had 1 win and a majority of lower score is higher graded than two drivers who have finished no lower thand second this doesn't figure.

stu
Old 29-07-2010

Default new race format

Hi,
Two things from me ref the new race format.
One good and one needs sorting.
The one good thing for me is the staggered start. Yes you are racing the clock but only to get your space in one of the Finals. This type of start gives you a clean start at least. Once in the finals then you will be racing each other and hopefully get your "cut and thrust" your looking for.
The one that needs sorting is the grading. Surely you should add up all the results gained and then divide the number of races attended. This should then give you the average sore and thats your ranking.
Well, I hope you don't mind me adding my comments as I am after all new to this Offroad thing, but I must say I am having so much fun.
Thanks FORCC
Always remember "enjoy the drive"
Andy.
Old 29-07-2010

Hi Andy. The sort of grading you mention would be better but as far as I am aware the race software does not cater for that system. Therefore, someone would have to work it out manually and I dont think you will get many voluteers for that job!
Old 29-07-2010

Although I'm the chairman of the club and some would say i should keep my views to myself, I disagree and feel it's only fair that i should put my point, as a driver, across.

It's good that we're trying new formats but this will bring negative and possitive opinions with any new format.

Last week Jon in my absence asked people what they would like to try for the next trial period, and he tells me two people spoke up out of fourty. This proves that a majority of the club members just want to come along and race, and with that in mind I am in favour of putting in place a race format at the end of these trial periods, which works for the club as a whole, the time we have to run in an evening and for the benefit of the people that run the club, so please bare this in mind. If you read this thread so far i can count about six or seven people that have posted an opinion regards our trial periods.

The point above about grading using an average system is yes great, but our software does not allow for this so somebody would have to sit down and manually work it out week by week, and there is no way any of us want to do that as we feel we do so much already i.e. wednesday night and the addition of the outside track. To give you an example take packing away at the end of the evening which should idealy be done by the last two heats, i counted three from sixteen last night helping and the two people under the stage were the same two people that were there at 5:30 building the track. I hope you understand my point that ideas are great however if they heap even more work onto the people that run the club, I personaly don't think that they should ever come into practise.

Please don't stop adding your oppinions as this is what the thread is for!

Kind regards Alan
Old 30-07-2010
Mad Member

Chairman or not Alan, you're a member of the club and entitled to your say as is every other member. I would perhaps say even more so as you're one of the few remaining "original" members from way back when.........

I think a few people need to step back a moment and take into consideration that this club doesn't run itself. The fact that it is such a smooth operation is credit to those that make it happen. Certain members put an awful lot of time and effort into making sure that your Wednesday night entertainment runs smoothly. Among all this they're listening to the club membership and taking on board what changes people would like to see. It doesn't happen all at the press of a button.

And yet at the end of an evening it's the same old few putting it all away as Alan rightly states, when those that should be doing their bit are chatting away in the side rooms about their final. It's not a written rule but it is a courtesy thing that the last 2 races of the night put the track away. About time certain drivers stepped up to the mark to help out before those that are doing ALL this get hacked off with it.

And on top of this we have the new permanent outdoor venue to get up and running fully. Personally I haven't been able to get up there as much as I'd hoped, but again certain members of the club have been spending an inordinate amount of time not just working on the site itself and preparing the land, but working behind the scenes to liase with the local community to get toilet facilities sorted, refreshments, site access, materials - everything you need to build a successful venue for our club to EXPAND. This is all being done in their own time and their own expense, purely for the continued good fortune of the club.

Opinions of club members are welcomed, but as Alan stated if it means more work for those who already are doing more than their fair share when others stand idly by then changes won't be made and opportunities may be missed. It was emphasised when the announcement was made about the new venue that it would only happen if the club as a whole made the effort to make it happen. Just because the first race meeting has been held doesn't mean we're "there". There's an awful lot of work to be carried out over the months before we get into a full 2011 season, but unless the club works as a whole then you may lose a fantastic outdoor race venue.
Old 12-08-2010
Mad Member

so what are people thought on the stagerd format now we have had more of a chance to try it do people think the driving standard is better and racing is closer do the other formats we have tried more favoured my veiw is the staggerd starts with one final is the best format we have had.

stu
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

Staggered grid - yes. Staggered start - no.

Take for example my first race on Wednesday. I left the grid position 6, so starting 6 seconds after (I think) Neil. With a lap time of around 11-12 seconds, and after a couple of minor errors (getting caught up in someone else's accident), within 2-3 laps I had been caught and "lapped" by Neil.

Race over for me then.

I know it's against the clock, but with Neil now physically in front of my car there's no way I can push at 100% for fear of making an error and ruining his race.

The hall is just not big enough to utilise this type of format. Yes it works over the winter series when you have 4 goes at qualifying, but on a Wednesday night there just isn't the opportunity to make amends should you have a bad race. Proof of the point - I qualified 6th in the B final.

I know plenty of people just want to go back to the 3 rounds format where you each get a go at the front, middle and back rows. It worked for 20+ years, so I think it's time to take a serious look at the changes that have been made and if they are necessary. The driver grading is good I accept and has taken the headache from Alan when booking in which can only be a plus point.

As an aside - nice to see a few new faces helping out at the end of the night. Still one of two regular posters to this thread that still seem to be averse to doing their bit though........time to name names?
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

hey dave

im struggling to see why the winter series is any difference running the staggerd format to wednesday's you still get two shots at qualifying, to be honest if neil has cought and pasted you you should use that as an advantage by folowing him ok you will not beat him that round but you would more likly be off straight after him next round then all you need to do is follow within a second and beat him if he makes a mistake and you dont your quids in.

you have to admit the driving standards are much better in the current format than the both other formats we have tried.

as we are trying different formats hows about we try the original format that we used before the round by round format which was the fastest time qaulified in the old style three races everybody starting at the same time fastest time wins i could never see why round by round was used apart from the odd oil spill which doesnt happen very often.

as for me big thumbs up for staggerd start 2 qualifiyers and 1 final and the grading system seems to work:thumb sup:.

stu
Old 13-08-2010

To me the system has its pros and cons

Yes starts maybe cleaner etc but I agree with what dave says, laps are just too quick for the staggered start and a couple of mistakes puts you lapped and in a awkward position however the staggered grid seems to work both ways being cleaner off the line compared to the 3 lines mass start .
Also even though i like the qualifing then final format 2 qualifiers doesnt feel enough of a chance, a break or car failure in round one causes a all balls out run next in round two as an attempt to qualify as high as possible. Ive heard 3 3 min qualifiers and 5 min final wispered and that sounds worth a try
Also the driver ranking seems a bit , im not sure how it works but i had a 1st overall one week which put me pole for the A the next week (which is a bit scary lol) then a 3rd , 5th etc over a couple of weeks, then ill have a bad evening and end up 9th or so a week or two later and ill drop to the bottom of B qualifying the next week maybe it should work on an average over certain number of weeks or something??

My 2 pence
Will
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

ok if the 1 second gap between drivers at the start is to long reduce it to 0.5 secs so if you were off last you would only be 4 seconds behind in a 8 car heat so if the lead car was averaging 12 secs you would still be 8 secs in front if you crash or make i mistake thats unlucky but the simple fact is if you dont make any mistakes and avoid other peoples mistakes you will win.