Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 16-01-2012

Default My Hyper 7 Black Edition Brushless Conversion

Completely new to all this, (posting on this website and R/C cars!!!) But i'll try my best!

So, for the past few months my friend has been trying to get me into the world of RC cars, i was dubious at first as my only memory of R/C cars are of the old Tamiya cars from when i was young, (Lunchbox, Grasshopper, Hornet, etc, etc) great fun but not for me now!
Then one day he invited me to go with him up to Remote World Model Car Club in Slough to see his in action, i was impressed watching it fly, nothing like what i was expecting, he then handed me the controller/transmitter and from that single moment i was HOOKED!!! Absolutely AMAZING!!!
So from that moment the hunt commenced, searching for a suitable rolling chassis for a brushless conversion and on his advice I purchased this Hyper 7 Black Edition for £70 off of this Forum courtesy of Chas Locke of RCRacing88.

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily it was all in good nick and came with like new Black edition wheels & pre glued tyres with no signs of wear & tear, so my first job as i did not have any parts to add to it was to remove the fuel tank, engine mount, reciever box and trim down the servo tray.

I then set about getting the orders in, first to come was the Transmitter & Receiver, courtesy of JESpares, on the advice of my friend i opted for the Spektrum DX3e.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next to come was the Steering Servo (Power HD 1501MG) and the Charger (Imax B6)

Then the conversion kit, which i opted for the Ansmann one for the Hyper 8 courtesy of ModelsportUK.

I then received the one i was waiting for from the US, Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2650Kv & Esc Combo, £190 from All-E-Rc.

So i then ordered in & received a new pinion (Answer-RC Mod1 15t) & ESC Tray (Vorza Flux ESC Tray) which was a perfect fit for the Castle Creations ESC.

I then managed to get hold of a set of CNC Hard Anodised parts off of ebay, used but all in great nick!

1x Front Shock Tower
1x Rear Shock Tower
1x Servo Saver Top Plate
1x Front Upper Hinge Pin Holder
1x Front Chassis Brace
1x Rear Chassis Brace
2x Front Springs
2x Rear Springs

Got the lot for £30!!! Result!!!

Now that i had basically all the parts i needed i started the build, the Ansmann motor mount went straight in and was a beautiful fit for the MMM, although i had to put some spacers at the bottom of the diff mount to raise the MMM away from the chassis. The problems came when i tried fitting the battery tray, no matter what way i tried using the battery tray with the supplied mount, i could not get sufficient clearance at the front for the esc tray and still have the battery tray clear of the shell, so i ditched it and decided to make my own.
I wanted something that would raise the battery tray to give me sufficient clearance of side guards, reasonably strong and above all, light! So i opted for acrylic, i went to my local hardware stores, Wickes & Homebase and found that the only sheets they did were too thin (2mm) so i would have to double or even treble up and were about £26 for the smallest sheet!!! That is when i popped into Rymans on the way home and found a clear Acrylic 3 slot letter holder that was about 5mm thick and was only £3.49! PERFECT!!! So i got home and went to work, i decided to place the battery tray up front as for some bizarre reason it allowed me more room at the back for the ESC tray rather than the other way round!
I cut out a piece of acrylic to fit the battery tray, then drilling and countersinking screws to go through the chassis then through the acrylic and into the battery tray, gave me perfect clearance from the side guards!
I also used the Acrylic for the ESC tray by cutting out a piece that was exactly the same size as the old engine mount that i removed and fitted the tray to the acrylic then bolted it to the chassis using the existing holes in the chassis that were for the old motor, the acrylic also covered up the holes on the bottom of the chassis, which was handy as it stops crap getting in from underneath and getting into the ESC!

I then set about adding the motor to the mount, pinion to the motor, steering servo to the tray and all the cnc parts, except for the springs as i found them to be a bit too soft in comparison to the ones that were already fitted.

I was missing a rear anti-roll bar so i just ordered that along with some red shock socks, Traxxas E-Revo Receiver Box, T-Bone Racing front & rear bumpers direct from T-Bone Racing, Nanda Block Wheel & Tyres and some new battery straps as the ones that came with the Ansmann battery tray were i presume for 2s batteries and i will be running 4s so i opted for a pair of Turnigy 330mm Anti Fluff straps off of ebay for just under a fiver.

I forgot to mention that i managed to get a brand new clear, uncut Jconcepts Illuzion Hyper Shell off of ebay for £19, another result! I know how hard they are to get.
Will more than likey be sending my shell off to Outlaw Graphics as he really does an amazing job at unbeatable prices!

Will post more pics in the next couple of days when more bits arrives!
Old 16-01-2012

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CML-Hobao-...item4cfb84b7df

a set of those are almost a must for a hyper 7, the standard knuckles are the biggest weak point as where the kingpin screws in the hole tends to open up leading to the screw falling out (usually in the last minute of a heat)

once you fit the cnc knuckles you dont have to worry about it ever again
Old 17-01-2012
The gimp formerly known as LIP

I always enjoy reading these conversion threads
Old 17-01-2012
Mad Member

Looking cool, good to get someone back into the hobby !

Will see you at Slough when the weather warms up a bit

My paintwork thread
Old 28-01-2012

Looking good Dec, those extra shocks should keep you going.. I've also got some used cnc knuckles and the other purple lower hinge pin holders on ebay if you're interested.
The steering top torque plate doesn't look like a hyper 7 one to me, does the torque rod line up with the chassis hole? The front tower looks a bit bent driver side.
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by (off)roadrunner View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CML-Hobao-...item4cfb84b7df

a set of those are almost a must for a hyper 7, the standard knuckles are the biggest weak point as where the kingpin screws in the hole tends to open up leading to the screw falling out (usually in the last minute of a heat)

once you fit the cnc knuckles you dont have to worry about it ever again
CNC knuckles are definately on my list of bits to replace, thanks!
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
Looking cool, good to get someone back into the hobby !

Will see you at Slough when the weather warms up a bit
Nice one, can't wait, weather is a bit pants at the moment, did visit the Earley BMX track last week, pretty good, not affected by rain, but may be a bit hard wearing on buggies. Will defo see you at Slough, like you say, when the weather picks up!
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsRC View Post
Looking good Dec, those extra shocks should keep you going.. I've also got some used cnc knuckles and the other purple lower hinge pin holders on ebay if you're interested.
The steering top torque plate doesn't look like a hyper 7 one to me, does the torque rod line up with the chassis hole? The front tower looks a bit bent driver side.
Alright mate, sorry, been really busy lately, cheers again for the shocks, the extra spacers have made all the difference as well, buggy is sitting much better now!
The steering top torque plate was identical to the one I originally had in the buggy, just thicker and the front chassis brace is just ever so slightly off from the chassis hole so I just drilled and countersunk a new one.
The front tower was bent ever so slightly on the drivers side but have straightened it and is perfect now, was thinking of doubling it up with the original towers until a decent set of Hyper ST towers turn up at a good price.

Got loads more new pics and a few more modifications, including your shocks which have made all the difference on the ride height and just the way the overall buggy sits.
Will post the new pics in the next couple of days, will also get myself onto eBay and have a look at the other bits you have for sale.

Thanks again mate!
Old 02-03-2012

the pink aluminium is a nice touch
Old 14-05-2012

Looks good mate, goodluck on your conversion im soon to being a Losi 8ight conversion.
Old 02-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec View Post
Alright mate, sorry, been really busy lately, cheers again for the shocks, the extra spacers have made all the difference as well, buggy is sitting much better now!
The steering top torque plate was identical to the one I originally had in the buggy, just thicker and the front chassis brace is just ever so slightly off from the chassis hole so I just drilled and countersunk a new one.
The front tower was bent ever so slightly on the drivers side but have straightened it and is perfect now, was thinking of doubling it up with the original towers until a decent set of Hyper ST towers turn up at a good price.

Got loads more new pics and a few more modifications, including your shocks which have made all the difference on the ride height and just the way the overall buggy sits.
Will post the new pics in the next couple of days, will also get myself onto eBay and have a look at the other bits you have for sale.

Thanks again mate!
I was always bending front towers on my Vorza until I doubled them up, now i've done 2 race meetings and 2 practice days (one is arguably the equivalent of 2 race meetings on its own because you end up doing so many laps) without so much as a tweak.

I think it's because 1/8th electric buggies weigh more than their nitro equivalents, my friend has a well-used D8 (same suspension/transmission) which apparently has never bent its front tower.

Excellent project, reading this I almost wish i'd done this instead of getting the Vorza!!
Old 18-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnitrorc View Post
the pink aluminium is a nice touch
Thanks, will have to add the new updates though as I have since sprayed them black and I am now looking into getting them hard anodised red, will get some new pics up soon!
Old 18-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShaun View Post
Looks good mate, goodluck on your conversion im soon to being a Losi 8ight conversion.
Thanks alot, good luck with your conversion too, i have seen a few Losi 8 conversion now and they are all awesome!!! Keep me posted of when you start posting pics! Thanks!
Old 18-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
I was always bending front towers on my Vorza until I doubled them up, now i've done 2 race meetings and 2 practice days (one is arguably the equivalent of 2 race meetings on its own because you end up doing so many laps) without so much as a tweak.

I think it's because 1/8th electric buggies weigh more than their nitro equivalents, my friend has a well-used D8 (same suspension/transmission) which apparently has never bent its front tower.

Excellent project, reading this I almost wish i'd done this instead of getting the Vorza!!
Hi, I have not been on here for a while, been so busy, will have to do some updates, got loads more tweaks and photos of the buggy since my last post, in that time I have actually doubled up my shock towers and like you said, so much better, like yourself, not even a tweak!
Thanks!!!
Old 18-06-2012

I have been pretty slack in keeping this post updated so there are quite a few pics to update right now!

So here it goes, since my last post with pics there has been quite a lot which has gone on, (will have to cut out quite alot to fit it all in), new parts and changes.

Go this for my spektrum receiver as it was waterproof and great all round protection

This was the shell that I managed to get off of eBay

With the shell, shock socks and reciever box fitted

Since then, there were more changes again, I decided on going with Hong Nor Big Bore shocks, I sprayed the shell myself, fitted a Hong Nor High Downforce wing, the Nanda Blocks, the T-Bone bumper, the Answer RC red locking wheel nuts and the doubling up of the shock towers

I have since these photos were taken made some more changes, decals added, a whole new set of wheels, including Schumacer Mini Pins on white Hong Nor dishes, will get some more photos added soon when I have got round to taking them!
Will also be getting a load of parts hard anodised in red very soon, including the shock towers so will more than likely add new photos then!
Old 29-06-2012

Congrats on your conversion. It turned out pretty well. I used to own a Hyper7 and finally made the jump to convert it. I went the rcpd route. I opted for only one battery tray and there was enough room for 2 2s lipos or 1 4s and man was it awesome.

http://rcproductdesigns.com/index.ph...roducts_id=189

The hyper was one of his first kits, but its def. Worthwhile if others are thinking of going elect from nitro.

Momo
Old 29-06-2012

Love the color scheme mate! Well done on the conversion
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
Congrats on your conversion. It turned out pretty well. I used to own a Hyper7 and finally made the jump to convert it. I went the rcpd route. I opted for only one battery tray and there was enough room for 2 2s lipos or 1 4s and man was it awesome.

http://rcproductdesigns.com/index.ph...roducts_id=189

The hyper was one of his first kits, but its def. Worthwhile if others are thinking of going elect from nitro.

Momo
Thanks mate, cheers!
The RCPD route certainly does look AMAZING!!! Just wish I was onto that before I done mine! If you are outside the US, did you get hit with customs charges? Or did RCPD do you a favour with the customs sheet?
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhead019 View Post
Love the color scheme mate! Well done on the conversion
Nice one mate, cheers! Has been a big learning curve for me, still loads to learn still, then again, I suppose you never stop learning with this hobby!