Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
+3mm front, +6mm rears.

I'm working on it ;-)
Current plan is JC 4mm offsets and change the hex which I think will get pretty close.
Let us know how you get on.

Jason
Old 10-05-2011

Pit Shimizu make a 24mm wheel in 2mm and 4mm offset by they package then in packs of 4 rather than 2 so it may take a bit of working out to get the right numbers but they are listed at 700 yen for a set of 4. I may be able to work a deal with then due to the contact I've made with them for SPC supply and see If I can get something done if people would like me to? they also do some narrow slicks in some relatively low grip compounds for reasonable money if a tyre solution can't be found.
Old 11-05-2011

Are we running HPI slick or is it open slick tyre now as we don't wont to go out and buy HPI slick to test on and its open tyres
Old 11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
Are we running HPI slick or is it open slick tyre now as we don't wont to go out and buy HPI slick to test on and its open tyres
Please do not make any rash moves re control tyres until it is definitely confirmed, we are seeing which tyres will fit on the kit rims, in the right quantity and at the right price. Hold fire for this week, i'll have sorted something by the weekend.

Lots of options open to us. I am desperate to run the kit rims :-)
Old 11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
Please do not make any rash moves re control tyres until it is definitely confirmed, we are seeing which tyres will fit on the kit rims, in the right quantity and at the right price. Hold fire for this week, i'll have sorted something by the weekend.

Schuie Carpet Dragons?
Old 11-05-2011

There load of tyres that will fit on kit rims hpi should have loads of 1540s what was control tyre for hpi series.
24mm will fit on 26mm wheel as i fitted then in the past
Old 11-05-2011

Quote:
I would love to run HPI rims, they suit the car and have the right offset to fill the Porsches wheel arches, plus it keeps everyone on the same track width so there's no advantage to narrower or wider cars etc.

Look forward to the final announcement, oh and can HPI supply enough 20T Saturns to see us through the event please? I've smoked 4 of them now testing grippier tyres at my local club and I've run out..... man they smell bad once they over heat!
Old 11-05-2011

Part worn JB28's would be ideal I think, im sure there's plenty of guys out there who end up chucking these away when they tear from the rims.
Old 12-05-2011

Funny you should say that, I ran used (1 year old) JB28's last night at my club, used them all night and they were fine, not too grippy, not too slippy, about right and they squeel good after about three laps too! No need for addictive or warmers, just bolt on and go.
Old 14-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
Funny you should say that, I ran used (1 year old) JB28's last night at my club, used them all night and they were fine, not too grippy, not too slippy, about right and they squeel good after about three laps too! No need for addictive or warmers, just bolt on and go.
Right after another bash at some testing, the HPI challange 30 tyres also seem very poor, ok for a 5 minute race, but take them longer than that and it is back the way of the X-patterns. No pick up this time, just a under steering over steering pig. Bolt on a set of old JB28's hey presto. I even have the timing data showing how inconsistent the Challenge 30's are.
I was never expecting mega grip, it is endurance racing afterall. But using the HPI's would not be an enjoyable experience.

One point to note, If there are approx.13 teams running HPI challenge 30's/X-patterns, it might be very busy marshalling.... more likely dangerous (to the marshals). You will crash using these tyres.

My vote is for Sorex tyres! They just work, and didn't look too bad. I am willing to make vinyl decals for the disc wheels to simulate spokes.

....+ don't get me onto motor's, we have blown 2 already. There are better alternatives in our opinion. This might be a long 24hrs......

On the plus side, the Sprint is a robust little fella, and the 911 body looks quite good. I will post up a picture in the near future of our painted body.

This ins't bashing... i think we all just want it to be a great event for all involved.
Old 14-05-2011

Well after testing today on 10yr old set of pitz we had no problems at all car was good

Like 3 week away and need know what tyres

The Event Sponsored by Hpi so it should be a Hpi tyre

Cant see the point in running 28 jb as we are racing 24hr not 5 mins
Old 14-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
The Event Sponsored by Hpi so it should be a Hpi tyre

Cant see the point in running 28 jb as we are racing 24hr not 5 mins
I agree it would be nice, just be prepared to be disappointed, the HPI tyres arn't up to it.

The worn Sorex 28's did over 1hours racing, and still look good. I though the proposal on the ardent website was 32's?

I am sure it will all shake out a the warm up meeting in a few weeks.
Old 14-05-2011

I'm glad it's not just me then! Whatever tyres are chosen I think they should be supplied loose with inserts so we can at least use something from the range of proper offset HPI rims and keep the original offset and trackwidth, with any regular touring wheel you end up with a front end 5mm wider than the rear axle, not good for handling and it looks shit in the wide rear Porsche wheel arches too!

I've tried several tyres on the HPI 26mm rims and they all fit just fine, compared to a 24mm wide rim they only 1mm outside on each bead so the profile etc remains identical to the eye.
Old 15-05-2011

some of our team members was at the track on saturday with the cars, they used sorex 32's, and they worked quite well, motor temps came off in the 70's, this tyre issue is now getting closer and closer to the race date, can we have a decision please, we are all up for this, but we need to get ready. As regards the motor temp, can we choose our own gearing? Also, whatever wheels/tyres we use, Its only fair if they are supplied by the organisers on the day, I dont want to worry about now looking for wheels, inserts to fit whatever tyres we are using, time's ticking
Old 15-05-2011

A quick shot of our test cars colour scheme. Note is already has true to scale battle scars!

Old 15-05-2011

They’re not battle scars, mere flesh wounds compare to those inflicted on the drift pig!
Old 15-05-2011
Mad Member

Vingt-quatre heures du Ardent - class!!
Old 15-05-2011

Hi guys, fear not about tyres, control tyres will be available for the test weekend, we are most likely going for the loose option enabling you to construct your own tyres. If we went Sorex the wear rate would be different to what you are used to with touring cars as with these cars they hardly break grip. I don't know why my test car comes off at 50C after 20 minutes running, but for fear of having problems and accusations on the day I'm likely to lift the gearing rule so that it is your fault through driving or incorrect gearing if the motor blows, however again this will be decided at the test weekend.

For now concentrate on re-building the cars, designing quick release battery mechanisms, formulating strategies and painting shells. :-)
Old 15-05-2011

Quote:
Hi guys, fear not about tyres, control tyres will be available for the test weekend, we are most likely going for the loose option enabling you to construct your own tyres. If we went Sorex the wear rate would be different to what you are used to with touring cars as with these cars they hardly break grip. I don't know why my test car comes off at 50C after 20 minutes running, but for fear of having problems and accusations on the day I'm likely to lift the gearing rule so that it is your fault through driving or incorrect gearing if the motor blows, however again this will be decided at the test weekend.

For now concentrate on re-building the cars, designing quick release battery mechanisms, formulating strategies and painting shells. :-)
Sorex get my vote, i would even opt for the pre-built sets and put some sort of spoked wheel design on for effect, after all a good racing experience is what we are all after not guess work with tires we have had for a week or so before the event.

again if we all have the same gearing then it will be more about driving and not money? to win? if the motors or speedos blow up then use some sense and drive for endurance we will be all in the same boat so to speak.

and finally i would love to plan a strategy but with so many unknowns it's kind of a wild stab in the dark at the moment.

For the tire situation can we not just have a vote for which tire to use or just leave the tire choice up to us as a team????
Old 15-05-2011

This time an action pic. Thanks goes to MattH for the shot!